Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant end in a few months can I get dole while I finish up Phd?

Options
  • 05-08-2009 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My grant runs out at the end of October with no new sources of funding on the horizon. I got an extension to my submission deadline due to personal reasons, so my deadline for submission is March of next year but I got no extra funding. I was told that registered students cannot claim the dole (fair enough). My only option I think would be to 'drop out' claim the dole for 6 months and then pay the fee to get back on the Phd register and submit. However I am worried that I will loose my desk and pc as well as access to equipment I need to finish up. I have been told that this will not happen but to be honest I dont believe this and I am worried that once off the Phd register I will face a lot more problems. Is there any advice that you guys have?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

You may be able to change your PhD registration to part-time and so be eligible for the dole, if you are really looking for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

They used to be quite good with this, I got JSA when I was finishing up, because I was also looking for jobs very actively. But my boyfriend didn't get it a year later in exactly the same circumstances. They are getting tougher on it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Ensure that you read the terms and conditions of the dole carefully so you stay legal.

Advertisement