Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange of P licence?

Options
  • 05-08-2009 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm going to Australia in september to live for a few months, I've got a provisional licence here and and hoping to get my test before i go it should be due soon enough, but if I dont get it can I change my provisional here for a red or green P over there? or can I get away with using my exsisting licence while there?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Provisional licenses are only of any use in the country they are issued in and you won't be able to get it transfered to another countries as it does not actually mean anything, other than you filled in a form and they sent you back a peice of paper.

Don't see any reason why you can't just apply for the local learner license once you get there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭daauneal

but wont i need to have someone to drive with me at all times then over there. I'll be there on my own so cant do that, Ive had my prov for nearly 2 years now and read somewhere about another guy that got a red p licence as he'd been driving for over a year, anyone else ever heard of that sort of thing before?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

You could get an international driving license as far as I know, I drove over there before, have a full Irish license and I got an international driving license, not sure though if you need to have a full license before you can get one, but if you can it stands for 1 year.
    What part of Oz are you going to daauneal?
    I am heading over myself 2 in September, going to Western Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Beachband wrote: »
    You could get an international driving license as far as I know, I drove over there before, have a full Irish license and I got an international driving license, not sure though if you need to have a full license before you can get one, but if you can it stands for 1 year.
    What part of Oz are you going to daauneal?
    I am heading over myself 2 in September, going to Western Australia.

Yes you need a full licence to get a International DL, but thats irrelevant you don't actually need an Internaional driving licence, waste of money! its only required if your licence doesn't have english on it AND has to be accompanied with your FULL DL issued by your country at all tines,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

... did any of the others in kiwiland giggle at the thought of a P licence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... did any of the others in kiwiland giggle at the thought of a P licence?

;-)

sure did bro ... it's wot you gotta get before you can live in the Hutt! ;)

Advertisement