Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless internet access

Options
  • 05-08-2009 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10 Jesper7

I hope someone can help me out.

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop (we already have a PC and Eircom broadband in the house) and went about setting up wireless internet access. All went well and I had wireless access for the first few days. However, I tried to get online the other night as usual but the laptop was unable to connect to a network. I highlighted the Eircom network I wanted to connect to but it said it was unable to do so and couldn't give a reason as to the problem. If I connect directly via the ethernet cable there's no problem but that's upstairs in one of the bedrooms and so isn't particularly convenient.

Any ideas as to why the wireless access is no longer available? Does something need to be re-booted?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

re-boot the router is the first thing I would try.

Then check if other people can connect.

Then I would try re-entering the security password (making sure that it is correct).

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

Jesper7 wrote: »
    I hope someone can help me out.

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop (we already have a PC and Eircom broadband in the house) and went about setting up wireless internet access. All went well and I had wireless access for the first few days. However, I tried to get online the other night as usual but the laptop was unable to connect to a network. I highlighted the Eircom network I wanted to connect to but it said it was unable to do so and couldn't give a reason as to the problem. If I connect directly via the ethernet cable there's no problem but that's upstairs in one of the bedrooms and so isn't particularly convenient.

Any ideas as to why the wireless access is no longer available? Does something need to be re-booted?

Thanks

It could be a problem in Eircom service.
    what you can do is on the router itself there is small Pinhole on the back, push the Pin in for few secopnds, all the lights will go off and come back on,Reset that and try connecting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Jesper7

OK, thanks lads - will re-set the router when I get home - hopefully that will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

sbhatia wrote: »
    what you can do is on the router itself there is small Pinhole on the back, push the Pin in for few secopnds, all the lights will go off and come back on,Reset that and try connecting again.

That will probably remove all of the eircom config ( IP address, eircom username and password etc) from the modem, and the modem might not connect to the net at all after that.

If you know what the config details are, then it might be ok, but you will need to re-enter all of that again before the modem will connect.

But I might be wrong because I do not have an eircom modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Its probably going to remove all the user settings, which will mean a phone call to eircom if you dont have the details.

im assuming you have vista as the laptop is new? try a Winsock fix.

To repair and reset the Windows Vista Wireless
    Click on Start button.
    Type "Cmd" in the Start Search text box.
    hold Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
    Type "netsh winsock reset" in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
    Restart the computer.

dont include the " where applicable.

god i love copy/paste.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If it was a problem with the Eircom service then those problems would show up with the Ethernet connection.

Before you start making major changes in your set up could you try the laptop in another wireless hotspot or network?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Jesper7

just to follow-up, I re-set the router last night and everything is working perfectly again. Thanks very much for the help.

Advertisement