Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Fiesta Diesel Vs Petrol

• 05-08-2009 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi, the wife is thinking of changing her Yaris for a new Fiesta. There is a €1,000 euro premium for the diesel version. She does roughly 14,500 miles a year. So I did some quick back of the envelope calculations and reckon the petrol will cost an extra €518 per year at current fuel prices assuming the petrol will do 40mpg and the diesel will do 50mpg. Annual road tax is €50 extra for the petrol. I also figure the diesel won't lose as much in depreciation as the petrol but have deliberately left this out. Service intervals for both fuel types are the same. Do these figures sound right or I am missing something?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Depending on the type of driving and driving style, you might even get more from the diesel. Only thing is the 1.4 in the new Fiesta is a bit rough sounding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

The 1.25 petrol is a bit underpowered for a heavy small car, so brutal at overtaking etc. Dont get me wrong, it is a very refined cracker of a small engine but just too small to suit the car.

The 1.4 Peugeot/Citroen (PSA) Hdi engine is a bit noisy in traffic, but its a lovely small torquey engine and more suited to the fiesta.

Bit of a joke really in Ireland that we only have 4 engine options:

1.25 82 PS, 5 Speed Manual
    1.4 96 PS, 4 Speed Automatic
    1.4 TDCi 68 PS, 5 Speed Manual
    1.6 120 PS, 5 Speed Manual

The UK has these!:

1.25 60PS STAGE V, 5-Speed manual
    1.25 82PS STAGE V, 5-Speed manual
    1.4 96PS, 5-Speed manual
    1.4 96PS, Automatic
    1.4 TDCi 68PS, 5-Speed manual
    1.6 TDCi 90PS, 5-Speed manual
    1.6 120PS TiVCT, 5-Speed manual
    1.6 TDCi 90PS + DPF, 5-Speed manual

If I was to buy one, it would be a UK spec 1.6TDCI and got it chipped:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I would go petrol, not much in the economy and a much smoother engine and better performance. Cars this size are rarely better as diesels IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

mullingar wrote: »
    The 1.25 petrol is a bit underpowered for a heavy small car, so brutal at overtaking etc. Dont get me wrong, it is a very refined cracker of a small engine but just too small to suit the car.

The 1.4 Peugeot/Citroen (PSA) Hdi engine is a bit noisy in traffic, but its a lovely small torquey engine and more suited to the fiesta.

Bit of a joke really in Ireland that we only have 4 engine options:

1.25 82 PS, 5 Speed Manual
    1.4 96 PS, 4 Speed Automatic
    1.4 TDCi 68 PS, 5 Speed Manual
    1.6 120 PS, 5 Speed Manual

The UK has these!:

1.25 60PS STAGE V, 5-Speed manual
    1.25 82PS STAGE V, 5-Speed manual
    1.4 96PS, 5-Speed manual
    1.4 96PS, Automatic
    1.4 TDCi 68PS, 5-Speed manual
    1.6 TDCi 90PS, 5-Speed manual
    1.6 120PS TiVCT, 5-Speed manual
    1.6 TDCi 90PS + DPF, 5-Speed manual

If I was to buy one, it would be a UK spec 1.6TDCI and got it chipped:D.

Jeez, that is an appalling choice alright. Never realised it was that poor!

OP, in terms of resale i would go for the diesel tbh

A bit Off topic but the least powerful petrol in the fiesta has 82bhp. The least powerful in the Focus has 80bhp! Wtf?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Both are quite slow (0-60 in 14.4s for the diesel, over 16s for the petrol) so I don't think performance should be really be a selection criterion.

The diesel does 67mpg combined, the petrol 51mpg. (I wonder why the 78mpg ECOnetic 1.6 diesel isn't for sale here).

I'd have to say at current fuel prices the diesel probably makes better economic sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 PugDriver

I actually used to own a 99 Fiesta with the 1.25 Zetec motor (it was originally a Yamaha design?) and it was a great free-revving engine. The new Fiesta is a bit heavier than that model (1109kg vs 905kg) but engine power has been improved slightly. Won't make any difference to the missus as her current motor is a 1.0 Yaris. But thanks for the advice certainly food for thought.

JHMEG wrote: »
    over 16s for the petrol)

Thats for the 60bhp 1.25, we get the 82bhp version, which does 0-60 in 13.3s.

Tbh, i'm amazed Ford Ireland didnt just make it the 60bhp version. It wouldnt have been the first time Paddy's been forced to take a nice underpowered car:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Thats for the 60bhp 1.25, we get the 82bhp version, which does 0-60 in 13.3s.
    I suspected that but I can't find it on the Ford.ie site. Where ever it is, it's well hidden!

(Either way 13.3s isn't going to set the world on fire either!)

JHMEG wrote: »
    I suspected that but I can't find it on the Ford.ie site. Where ever it is, it's well hidden!

(Either way 13.3s isn't going to set the world on fire either!)

http://www.carzone.ie/new-cars/Ford/Fiesta/1.25-STYLE/75948820081201/

Took it from here. It aint gonna set the world alight, for sure, but to be fair, its more than you get in terms of power, than the basic petrol engine, in any other supermini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

I'd go for the diesel for economy and better resale. It'll pay you back in two years and probably hold its value better.
    Other than that it's down to your wife she should test them both and if she see's no difference or doesn't care about it then go with the cheapest running option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement