Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Value a 00 Boxster 2.7

• 05-08-2009 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭

I've been offered a 2000 Porsche Boxster 2.7 manual against my car, it's UK regd, 52k miles, HPI clear but no SH. What's it worth? I'm thinking €8000ish, am I being too harsh?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I looked at those two, the one for €16k seems to be going nowhere, it's got lower mileage and a hardtop. The one i'm being offered needs €4k VRT paid and has no SH, that's how I figure it's value at €8k. I don't want a Boxster either, i'd be taking it with a view to selling it straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

No SH is the biggie. Knocks the value hugely. You need that at a price that you can blow it out. I would think you are about right at €8k, maybe try for a little less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Surely that'd be a right pain to shift with no SH. Could be worth a call to Porsche UK to see if they have a service database and maybe get your own service history...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Anan1 wrote: »
    I looked at those two, the one for €16k seems to be going nowhere, it's got lower mileage and a hardtop. The one i'm being offered needs €4k VRT paid and has no SH, that's how I figure it's value at €8k. I don't want a Boxster either, i'd be taking it with a view to selling it straight away.

I know its a crap comparison but a friend was trying to sell his '03 facelift (glass rear window and clear indicators) Boxster S with a service history and couldn't get offers on 24k. Actually he didn't get any offers at all. It was the 3.2 however.

I like them as a car, real sharp in everything they do. I wouldn't buy one with no service history tho, sure a new engine for one is 10k sterling and they're not DIY friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

I'd say based on your post that 8k is fair enough. I'm currently trying to sell my 2002 2.7 (40k miles and full service history) and will be doing well get 16k for it or thereabouts, so by the time you factor in 4k VRT and the fact that has no service history 12k is not looking so hot after all in my opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

A UK import with no service history will be difficult to sell on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

betafrog wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/results?searchsource=finder&nParam=4294910367%2B200284%2B200306&channel=CARS&cacheBuster=1249485564227210

A bit off the mark there... Gotta say you'll get a much better car for similar money if you look around. Really hate Boxsters, don't know why, it's like that guy you hardly know but you still wanna punch him in the face every time you seem him...

Completely disagree here - I think it's an absolutely superb car for the money.
    Whatsmore, 8-12k sounds about right for an 00' with no SH - it's the older model with the plastic rear window, and the less attractive 2.7!

Still, stunning car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think 8k is too much considering it'll need to be VRT'd and NCT'd if you have any hope of selling it in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

cianclarke wrote: »
    Completely disagree here - I think it's an absolutely superb car for the money.
    Whatsmore, 8-12k sounds about right for an 00' with no SH - it's the older model with the plastic rear window, and the less attractive 2.7!

Still, stunning car.

Still, the 2.7 is better than the 2.5!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

No SH is the biggie. Knocks the value hugely. You need that at a price that you can blow it out. I would think you are about right at €8k, maybe try for a little less.

yep, car suicide buying a boxster without a SH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bf

If you were going to keep it you might take a punt on it at no more than €8k, but if it is (as you mention) purely for re-sale then I think its more hassle than it worth.

If I was in the market for a porsche I know I would want proof of it being well looked after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

then I'd be offering less than 8. Here's a 00 3.2s with loads of history http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1105737.htm for just under 8k - it's been a cat D but looks good and would still probably sell faster than what you've been offered!

you could probably even haggle a bit on this 2.7 http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/959071.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

steve06 wrote: »
    then I'd be offering less than 8. Here's a 00 3.2s with loads of history http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1105737.htm for just under 8k - it's been a cat D but looks good and would still probably sell faster than what you've been offered!

That's an absolute cracker..!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

you could probably even haggle a bit on this 2.7 http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/959071.htm

First of all, a Porsche - any Porsche - is going to be a very slow sell these days, irrespective of model. The older the better, newer ones even more difficult. If you're buying it for a 'quick resale' be prepared to lose your shirt. Better idea is to drop that loss on your existing car - that way you've only 1 sale to make....

I've seen an Irish reg Boxster for sale in Galway for 19k.

That 3.2 would fleece you for VRT - 36%. FSH always a good idea, but given the fragility of the M96 motor, even a FSH isn't a guarantee of.........anything. If anything, high-mileage cars are a better bet - it's the low-mileage sunday cars that exhibit most problems.........

Anan - you're not being harsh. The reason you're being offered it is.........he/she can't sell it, either......

Out of curiousity - what are you taking it against ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Want!

...no shortage of big-engined cars for sale. Cat D + 3.2 here = married for life......or retire it to the track at EOL........:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

But a cat D could be anything from vandalism to a small shunt.. sure half the imports for sale here are Cat D. Still Track day/Sally Gap lusciousness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

From the Pistonhead' add posted by Steve06;
    Road Tax £190 a year which is cheap for a 3.2.

Absolutely fu*king disgusting! Galls me every time I think about our ludicrous taxation system.

Back on topic, for the prices they are going for at the minute a 986 is a very tasty prospect. I used to think they were a bit of a fairy's car until I had the use of one for a weekend recently. They're a superb car and extremely good value.

As for prices, a friend bought a 01' 2.7 with 35,000 miles and a FPSH for a smig over €14k recently. I would think it would be difficult to shift one without a SH given their well noted RMS and cylinder lining issues.

galwaytt wrote: »
    I've seen an Irish reg Boxster for sale in Galway for 19k.
    That's expensive, what year is it?
    That 3.2 would fleece you for VRT - 36%.
    VRT is €3,399, check yourself!
    If anything, high-mileage cars are a better bet - it's the low-mileage sunday cars that exhibit most problems.........
    This is true, with higher mileage cars, teething issues will have been fixed.

VRT is €3,399, check yourself!

This is true, with higher mileage cars, teething issues will have been fixed.

...I'll only tell you what I know from my own experience, and that of a few other P-car owners: that they will not stand over the online VRT quote for a Porsche. Once you turn up to clear it, you may find they have a different price in mind............my old 1993 968 with 142k miles on it cost that much (close enough) and was 1k more than 'quoted' before I bought it, so how a 00 3.2 will be anything less than........twice that, escapes me. But I'm happy to be proven wrong.

A local guy bought a 99 996 lately with 75km miles on it, and he's been asked for 11k VRT. No matter what way you crack that, I can't see a 00 reg Boxster being anything other than somewhere north of the 3200 you quote and the 11000, above.

You'll find Porsches are treated as 'collectible' and VRT quotes are got on a case-by-case basis from Rosslare.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

...I'll only tell you what I know from my own experience, and that of a few other P-car owners: that they will not stand over the online VRT quote for a Porsche. Once you turn up to clear it, you may find they have a different price in mind............my old 1993 968 with 142k miles on it cost that much (close enough) and was 1k more than 'quoted' before I bought it, so how a 00 3.2 will be anything less than........twice that, escapes me. But I'm happy to be proven wrong.

A local guy bought a 99 996 lately with 75km miles on it, and he's been asked for 11k VRT. No matter what way you crack that, I can't see a 00 reg Boxster being anything other than somewhere north of the 3200 you quote and the 11000, above.

You'll find Porsches are treated as 'collectible' and VRT quotes are got on a case-by-case basis from Rosslare.

Don't mean to thread drift, but how does one get the definitive word (before purchasing) on exactly what the VRT is going to be? I too know people who have gotten online quotes and even quotes over the phone only to find that when they went to pay the VRT, it was 50 - 100% of what they were led to believe.

..you'll have to get the full exact details of the particular car you're interested in - and go to VRT office, and get them to get a written quote FOR THAT PARTICULAR car, from VRO in Rosslare.

Anything less is only a 'guide', they'll tell you.

And yes, some 911 buyers have been hammered with + 100% over the 'quote' before they bought.........caveat emptor, as they say........

Ode To The Motorist

sorry, a 00 iirc.

Ode To The Motorist

so how a 00 3.2 will be anything less than........twice that, escapes me. But I'm happy to be proven wrong.
    Simple, they're not selling, and with the 3.2 being very undesirable, the values have dropped.
    A quote will only need to go to Rosslare if a car has extras that they need to value. And we all know that the Boxster will never bee a collectible, even the VRO know that.

Simple, they're not selling, and with the 3.2 being very undesirable, the values have dropped.

A quote will only need to go to Rosslare if a car has extras that they need to value. And we all know that the Boxster will never bee a collectible, even the VRO know that.

..certain brands are flagged as 'classic/collectible' and it's not confined by age. Porsche is just one of the brands on their list.

As for 'extras' - given that there is not 'standard, off the shelf' Porsche, you'll find they all come under that rule for exam.

Ode To The Motorist

I like the first.

The second is cheap..........almost TOO cheap in fact..............you'd want to research that one well.

All of which, Anan, makes youre 8k + VRT Boxster......expensive.

Ode To The Motorist

..certain brands are flagged as 'classic/collectible' and it's not confined by age. Porsche is just one of the brands on their list.

As for 'extras' - given that there is not 'standard, off the shelf' Porsche, you'll find they all come under that rule for exam.
    When they give you a quote, we all know it's an estimate but they can't go and double it. It's not an invitation to treat like buying something in a shop, it's a guideline quote which can't vary widely because people can't afford to to go and pay double what they've been asked for after they purchase the car. A lot of people win VRT appeals based on this and there was a thread a while ago linking to an article where the European union are bringing the Irish revenue commissioner to court over VRT - not because it's illegal, but because of the fact their OMPS are way off and also because it's backwards to have to appeal after you've paid, so there may be hope for us all soon!

When they give you a quote, we all know it's an estimate but they can't go and double it. It's not an invitation to treat like buying something in a shop, it's a guideline quote which can't vary widely because people can't afford to to go and pay double what they've been asked for after they purchase the car. A lot of people win VRT appeals based on this and there was a thread a while ago linking to an article where the European union are bringing the Irish revenue commissioner to court over VRT - not because it's illegal, but because of the fact their OMPS are way off and also because it's backwards to have to appeal after you've paid, so there may be hope for us all soon!

...that court case will never happen - and we all know it - there are too many vested interests in this country for it ever to proceed, and if it does, it will be appealed by the State. And it'll take 10+ years. waste of time.

If you buy a car, they are under no obligation to honour your 'quote' and your appeal, if you win, will still only be a % of the sum - not the quantum leap we're talking about.

The problem is, you've bought the car, paid your money, and you'll get bogged down at the counter - they hold all the cards.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Thanks to all for the advice, i'm starting to think that €8k is a bit much myself. Plus, I really don't need the hassle of any trade-in.
    Out of curiousity - what are you taking it against ?
    My 911, it's an 86 Carrera 3.2 cabriolet.

Thanks to all for the advice, i'm starting to think that €8k is a bit much myself. Plus, I really don't need the hassle of any trade-in.My 911, it's an 86 Carrera 3.2 cabriolet.

Anan, you'd be mad to trade it. At least your 3.2 qualifies for classic insurance, and, I know it's a long way away.......but it's a damn sight nearer to cheap tax than the Boxster will ever live to .......

Oh...and at least you can bring the young 'uns out with you.
    The Boxster you can't. Which means you'll use it even half as much as the 911. Now that would be a waste of time !

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Oh...and at least you can bring the young 'uns out with you.
    The Boxster you can't.

Good, so they can stay at home with their Mother!
    WHO'S THE DADDY NOW???!?!?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lots of good advice in this thread.
    I really don't need the hassle of any trade-in.

I know - the era of just selling cars seems to have gone even for private sales :o

Anan, I suppose it's a matter of how badly you need the cash inflow :(

If it is really bad, incoming cash is better than no income. That said, temp cashflow fixing solutions are only creating bigger problems in the (near) future

unkel wrote: »
    Anan, I suppose it's a matter of how badly you need the cash inflow :(

If it is really bad, incoming cash is better than no income. That said, temp cashflow fixing solutions are only creating bigger problems in the (near) future

...but that's the point. Take the Boxster, add VRT and I think you'd be close to, or at, square 1. Can't see the point.........

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

...but that's the point. Take the Boxster, add VRT and I think you'd be close to, or at, square 1. Can't see the point.........

The only point would be to take the Boxster and receive say €5k or €6k. Hard cash. That's the point. Cash solves problems. This transaction obviously will create future problems like we all discussed. How the hell to sell a Boxster here with no service history on UK plates? Probably back selling it into the UK (ebay?) for low enough money?

• Advertisement

...I know, but I don't think he'll come out with anything like that much. 8k + 5k VRT = 13k.
    And you'd still have an unsaleable car that'll depreciate at about 4.5k p.a., and be almost saleproof.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Shame someone puked in it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

i really don't think a boxster would sell all to well at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

How ironic, I just traded a UK Reg Boxster S (3.2L, 45k miles) facelift 2003 back to the UK. I could have sold it to either "Webuyanycars" or Porsche Agnew in NI for £12k. The comments about Porsches being hard to sell maybe true in Ireland (didnt bother as this one was UK reg which suited me perfectly), but there is serious interest in them in the UK. I had it gone within a week. Granted we are in Ireland, but what sells well or not here is not a reflection of the car, its a reflection of our tax systems and consumer buying oddities. VRTing it would financially be a mistake as you are then effectively stuck with it here in Ireland, where its little 3.2L 6pot engine is something we put in Buses.

The Boxster S was much better than I thought it would be, its sweet spot is 50-60mph with the roof down. However I found the terrible and droney engine note at lower speeds extremely annoying and the ferocious wind noise (and lack of confidence in windy conditions as its so light) at very high speed unsettling. It seemed to be a both a poor motorway crusier and a poor town crawler all in one. Racing through backroads with the roof down, it is fantastic, very fast and surefooted.

Interior was fairly cramped and poor IMO, but thats part of parcel of what it is. Seats were painful for my bad back too. Saying that, I would definitely consider one for a summer or weekend car, its by far at the top of the list for me (and anyone that I let drive it) for a Summer car. Just not a very competent main driver.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    How ironic, I just traded a UK Reg Boxster S (3.2L, 45k miles) facelift 2003 back to the UK. I could have sold it to either "Webuyanycars" or Porsche Agnew in NI for £12k.

How much did you actually sell it for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

How much did you actually sell it for?

I traded it against a full fat V12 BMW 850CSI and got £2k back. Effective selling price would be about £11k, but would have got closer to £12k from the Porsche garage had I wanted to make the trip to the North then over to the UK to straight out buy the other car. This same garage offered £10k for the same Boxster S 4mths ago, used car values in the UK have reset/increased. Perhaps I wasnt clear, the Porsche garage wanted to buy the car off me. The 850CSI was underpriced however, he showed me the letter of notice he received from the local Council for trading from his home (there were cars everywhere in fairness, he has to stop trading there in 30days). He has been selling stuff at fairly aggressive prices to get it out before he has to rent a garage (Milton Keynes area, so you can image the rent £).
    VRT on this Boxster S would have been at lease EUR8500.

I seen the same thing on BMW 6 series and 535d I was looking at, prices went up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Hi all,

I'm begining to think I may like to buy a Boxster at some point within the next year. Some very interesting posts in this thread.

It would just be a 2nd car/weekend thrill type thing so I've got to justify spending the dosh to convince myself really. Prices have plummeted on used cars.

Thinkin maybe along the 2004 bracket. They seem to have the right balance of price / look / mileage for my taste.

I don't think I'd want more than the 2.7 - The road tax is bad enough at that.

Problem is, I know feck all about them so I want to do a little researching. Any tips appreciated. Potential problems, pitfalls, service costs etc.?

Get the 3.2 - it's the car to get!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Yeah I wouldn't settle for anything less than the 3.2. As the saying goes, I'd rather be looking at it, than for it, with regards to power anyways.

I got a few hours driving out of it and it was unbelievably fun whizzing around the town or bendy roads because it feels almost like a go-kart.

However, the fun was shortly sapped out of me when driving on big boring motorways and then when I was the passenger and I faced the "dilemma" of finding somewhere to put 2 small laptop bags and 2 jackets.... fking nightmare.

I was coming from a 350Z into the S Type and although the Boxster was more fun at times (especially with the roof down), I'd prefer the Z.
    More space (hard to find a car the Z has more space than!), a lot more comfortable and it's generally quicker in every area I found.

Vertakill wrote: »
    I was the passenger and I faced the "dilemma" of finding somewhere to put 2 small laptop bags and 2 jackets.... fking nightmare.

Eh there is a boot at the front AND at the back of a boxster with more than enough room in either for 2 laptop bags AND jackets???

Rear
    Porsche%20Boxster%20Rear%20Boot%20200x150.jpg

Front
    article-1185622-04D81055000005DC-809_233x382.jpg

Homer wrote: »
    Eh there is a boot at the front AND at the back of a boxster with more than enough room in either for 2 laptop bags AND jackets???

Rear
    Porsche%20Boxster%20Rear%20Boot%20200x150.jpg

Front
    article-1185622-04D81055000005DC-809_233x382.jpg

Yeah I know, but you'd be surprised how difficult it is to access those boots while driving... :rolleyes:

You can access the boot in a Z from inside the cabin, is all.

But cheers for the pictures of both boots, I'd never have remembered what and where they were considering my brother owned one...

Vertakill wrote: »
    Yeah I know, but you'd be surprised how difficult it is to access those boots while driving... :rolleyes:

You can access the boot in a Z from inside the cabin, is all.

But cheers for the pictures of both boots, I'd never have remembered what and where they were considering my brother owned one...

Did you get in while it was moving? I would have put them in before you started your journey :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

:cool:
    Matt Simis wrote: »
    I traded it against a full fat V12 BMW 850CSI and got £2k back. Effective selling price would be about £11k, but would have got closer to £12k from the Porsche garage had I wanted to make the trip to the North then over to the UK to straight out buy the other car. This same garage offered £10k for the same Boxster S 4mths ago, used car values in the UK have reset/increased. Perhaps I wasnt clear, the Porsche garage wanted to buy the car off me. The 850CSI was underpriced however, he showed me the letter of notice he received from the local Council for trading from his home (there were cars everywhere in fairness, he has to stop trading there in 30days). He has been selling stuff at fairly aggressive prices to get it out before he has to rent a garage (Milton Keynes area, so you can image the rent £).
    VRT on this Boxster S would have been at lease EUR8500.

I seen the same thing on BMW 6 series and 535d I was looking at, prices went up.

er matt sorry if you have done so already, but need pics of the 850 :eek:

@Vertakill : Why didn't you pack away your luggage before driving off? :D

@Vertakill : Why didn't you pack away your luggage before driving off? :D
    Homer wrote: »
    Did you get in while it was moving? I would have put them in before you started your journey :rolleyes:

Coz we were using the laptop as a satnav, not to mention the paperwork of a new car to look over. Also it wasn't very warm outside so I'd a hoody and he'd a jacket on, but since you're in such an enclosed space you get warm quite quickly! The problem was the lack of room even in the footwell and the problem of not being able to put anything down the back of your seat.

The Z has a huge cubby hole behind the passenger seat that you can fit stuff into, it also has enough room to slide both seats forward and put a jacket behind without being compromised.

When I tried that in the Boxster, it even had a hanger on the back of the seat for this very purpose, but when I went to sit back down I was forced to sit at a 90 degree angle because there's no room behind you to recline your seat.

Anyways, just not my cup of tea. Wouldn't want to be claustrophobic anyways!

• Advertisement
Advertisement