Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recovering eMails??

• 05-08-2009 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

A friend of my dad had a registry problem this morning, and Windows was BSODing on launch. Problem with the software.bak file.

I fixed this issue, and Windows boots ok. This is what I did to fix it, from the restore console;
    C:\Windows>[COLOR=red]CD C:\system~1\_resto~1[/COLOR] 
    C:\system~1\_resto~1\>[COLOR=red]dir[/COLOR] 

After you enter the DIR command and hit enter you will get a list of folders like such rp1, rp2, rp3, rp4, etc. etc. The "rp" part of the folder name denoting it's a [B]R[/B]estore [B]P[/B]oint 

What you'll want to do is find the 2nd highest numbered folder in that list. So, for instance, if it listed rp1 thru rp24 you'll want the rp23 folder. I'll use rp23 for the rest of this little fix just to keep things simple but substitute rp23 for whatever folder is the 2nd highest in the list on your pc. 

Now, we have more commands.. 

C:\system~1\_resto~1>[COLOR=red]cd rp23 [/COLOR]

C:\system~1\_resto~1\rp23>[COLOR=red]cd snapshot [/COLOR]

C:\system~1\_resto~1\rp23\snapshot>[COLOR=red]copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system [/COLOR](read below3) 

Overwrite system [y,n]: [COLOR=red]y[/COLOR] 

1 file copied 

C:\system~1\_resto~1\rp23\snapshot>[COLOR=red]exit [/COLOR](before typing exit, please remove your Windows XP CD from the CD Drive)
      After typing “exit” and pressing “enter” on the keyboard your computer will restart, hopefully into a working machine. If by some chance this did not fix your issue you can either go through this option again and try a different restore point or continue with the other options.

The problem now is that when I open Outlook express, all of his eMails are gone. As are all of the settings. All the other files are fine. Any ideas how I can recover the eMails? I'm guessing that they are stored on the system somewhere...

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

XP or Vista?

XP C:\Documents and Settings\USERS LOGON NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{LONG GUID MAY BE A COUPLE TO CHECK}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Obviously you need to show hidden files and fodlers to see that in Explorer

Just copy everything in that folder to whatever the current folder the user is now using, but afaik you'll still need to put in SMTP and POP3 info including password.

Advertisement