Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a job...

Options
  • 05-08-2009 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Starting UCD in Sept and need to find a job for the weekends.. Anybody got suggestions where the best places are to try? Any places near UCD looking for students??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Man, to put it bluntly, apply everywhere... because way economy etc is going at moment, we will all struggle to get a job for next year!

My suggestion would be stillorgan and town.
    Town is only 20-30 min bus away from u
    UCD, and stillorgan less again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

If you're relying on a part-time job to get you through the year then it's goin to be a tough year. As said above op, apply everywhere it is absolutely sh*t so it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Have a look at http://www.parttimejobs.ie

Make sure your cover letter and CV are perfect, and have different versions of each for each job you apply for.

You need to make yourself stand out from the crowd, so follow up your application with a friendly phone call two days later.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

As a warning, if you;re absolutely reliant on getting a job, you may end up badly screwed over. I've been trying to find a job since the start of the summer with no success, as has my housemate and some other people I know. There are very few jobs going, and an awful lot of people looking for them, so competition is fierce, and only the most qualified, experienced people are getting work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Most jobs out there are not advertised. Its all about who you know. Spread to word out to your mates to see if they know anyone with a business looking for people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Raphael wrote: »
    only the most qualified, experienced people are getting work.

That's not totally true (although I agree with you in general).

If you can make yourself stand out, and try to connect with the people who do the hiring, you will drastically improve your chances of finding work.

For example, if I was applying for a job in Dunnes Stores, I wouldn't just send in my CV, I would get chatting to people who work there (to find out who is the decision maker), and I would contact that person directly (face to face, if possible) with my CV and cover letter tailored for her. I would be very clean cut and polite when I meet her, and I would try to have a chat with her.

I would try to get some sort of commitment from her as to when a decision will be made, and I would follow up with a phone call a day or two after that date.

It's slightly pushy, but it's better than being a number amongst hundreds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

The only way I can see for you to get a job is if you know somebody. That is how it worked with me and people I know who have gotten jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

A picture is worth 1,000 words - or perhaps 100,000 words:

LR%20July%2009%201.jpg

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Advertisement