Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Player HDD Enclosures

Options
  • 05-08-2009 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I have a 1TB 3.5" SATA full of films and tv series that I cant watch since my last enclosure died, Im looking for one to replace it but so far the ones Ive tried from Ebay have all been generic Chinese rubbish that Ive sold on again because they've always had a deal breaking flaw like poor playback compatibility, no timer to tell how long a film/programme is, unusable interface etc.

Has anyone ever seen a good one anywhere that they'd recommend? I dont care if its a cheap Chinese one from Ebay as long as it works, I know about the Western Digital player but I want an all-in-one kind of unit, anyone got any suggestions?

Also if anyone can remember any previous threads on this on Boards a link would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Look up the Popcorn Hour A-110

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thanks Eoin, they look good alright, a bit on the pricey side though and thats probably because of the wireless networking feature which I dont need and dont want to pay extra for, have you ever seen a cheaper option?

There might be some ideas on www.komplett.ie - I was looking around as well, but went for the WDTV as it was the best value for money, and I didn't mind having a separate HDD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I have a popcorn & it's fantastic. Really great all rounder, only things it fails on is a crappy name & ugly look. Friend had a WDTV & it looks a lot sleeker & appears to perform just as well.

Another option is to connect the HDD to your PC and stream it wirelessly to a box connected to your telly. I did this for a good while using a Pinnacle Show Centre 200, but the wireless signal in the house wasn't strong enough, and it kept pausing and so on. Shame, as it supported a very wide range of formats.

• Advertisement
Advertisement