Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do u expect your boyfriend to give u a present r do something nice for your birthday?

Options
  • 05-08-2009 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on this topic- do you expect your boyfrind to give you a present for your birthday of just do something nice for you? I know some men shower women with gifts but there is probably the opposite of this also...This has been a topic of debate between me and my girlfriends for a few days, gimme some feedback ladies, Thanks!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Hmm, a little of both really. My birthday is on Christmas Eve, so I tend to be getting two presents at the same time! But since I don't really get to celebrate my birthday, I really appreciate it if a boyfriend does something special for me as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

There's been times in the past where I've gone "Ara, no it's grand, don't be wasting money." But then when the day came and I got nothing I was fuming! :rolleyes: So, I suppose something small and meaningful is what I meant by 'nothing'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Yup, I expect a fuss to be made.

He expects a similar fuss to be made on his birthday.

I'm very thoughtful when it comes to presents. So I expect to see alot of effort. I'm not bothered about expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Hmm, I wouldn't say I'd expect him to buy me a present, but I'd be pretty upset if he forgot my bday or just made no effort to do anything nice for me at all. I would never let his bday go by without going out of my way even just a little bit to make sure he had a better than usual day and I'd hope he'd do the same for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

When I say I expect a present, I don't mean diamonds.

A book that he thought I'd like is enough. If I didn't get anything I would definitely be put out because it would mean he didn't put any thought into it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

Nah, I don't need anything. Presents just end up on the pile of crap I don't use in my parent's house...
    He makes me cards, which I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i wouldnt expect anything amazing,as xiney said just something to acknowlege your bday is enough really,a book or dvd etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

I don't really celebrate my birthday but it's nice when it's acknowledged. A present is just an extra thoughtful bonus as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

i love my birthday. love doing something nice for it most years. my OH always goes out of his way to make my bday extra special for me. last years was crap for reason's i won't go into and since my 30th is this year it will be interesting to see what he comes up with this year. his 30th was in may so wonder if he can beat what i did for him. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

i love spoiling people, particularly on bdays and particularly bfs. i dont do it for something in return, but at the same time it would be nice to have someone else spoil me.

so yes i do expect SOMETHING on my bday. whether its a handmade card & a day of back massages & attention cause he has no money (actually thatd be a pretty super present whether he had money or not..) or something hes spent money on i wouldnt mind. its about the effort.

now i want a back massage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I expect some quality time!

We usually do dinner or a night away or something. Birthdays are hardly as fun as they were when you were a kid, so it's nice to do something a little out of the ordinary to celebrate.

Yes, he always gets me a gift -- sometimes it's small, sometimes it's bigger . . . it's always right, somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

We go all out for birthdays and Christmas. Certainly a couple of hundred each time. I know he's planning something big for my birthday in a couple of weeks, can't wait to see what!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Pythia wrote: »
    We go all out for birthdays and Christmas. Certainly a couple of hundred each time. I know he's planning something big for my birthday in a couple of weeks, can't wait to see what!

Enda Kenny Cutout...

I Just know it...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I don't expect surprises, drama and massive sweeping gestures. I do expect to be spoiled some - dinner out, an indulgence of some variety. I don't attach a price tag, do like to be consulted, and do the same in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

All I ever really want from him for my birthday is a card. I usually get something hand made, a painting or something along those lines. It really is the thought that counts. I would be happy with nothing but a card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 misssandy

Thanks for all the replies everyone, they sure has given me and my girlfriends something to talk about. I suppose the main thing is that not every couple are the same and can differ greatly. I think its the thought that counts. If ur OH is good to you all year there shouldnt be the need to splash out on a big pressie for your birthday. It is nice to acknowledge someones birthday though even if its just a nice card.:D Toodles miss sandy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

Honestly, I'm impressed when people actually remember my birthday. I generally don't :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

misssandy wrote: »
    do you expect your boyfrind to give you a present for your birthday of just do something nice for you? I know some men shower women with gifts but there is probably the opposite of this also...This has been a topic of debate between me and my girlfriends for a few days, gimme some feedback ladies, Thanks!:)

I'd wouldn't say I'd expect a present or something nice to be done for me, but I'd like it and I'd definitely appreciate it.

For me, I consider a Birthday to be the single day of the year where it really is all about you, so why shouldn't you be pampered and make feel special by the people in your life?

If I was with someone, I'd certainly put time and effort into doing something nice for them, finding them a nice present so I'd be thrilled if that was returned. Not that I'd go to effort for them, just to get something in return!

To be honest, I wouldn't really care about how much money he spent, I'd just like him to be thoughtful! :)

*cough*However a pair of Louboutins wouldn't go astray!*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'd wouldn't say I'd expect a present or something nice to be done for me, but I'd like it and I'd definitely appreciate it.

This is what I was trying to say but couldn't make it sound right so didn't post :rolleyes::p:D

Can't say I had any expectation my first birthday we were together (mine came first) but now it's become a tradition that we treat each other to a meal in a nice restaurant and get a fairly decent present for each other.

I'd be happy with just a meal, or just a small present, but I like to spoil him and show him how much I love him by getting him something great on his birthday and I know that's his motivation for doing it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

i'd like a nice meal out and breakfast in bed..... a token gift i'd be happy with:)
    i love cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

MJOR wrote: »
    i'd like a nice meal out and breakfast in bed..... a token gift i'd be happy with:)
    i love cards

You'd just want breakfast in bed? I'd be expecting fireworks ;):p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

You'd just want breakfast in bed? I'd be expecting fireworks ;):p:pac:

ah the prelude to breakfast??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

MJOR wrote: »
    ah the prelude to breakfast??:D

Fireworks, then you can get up and shower while he's in the kitchen, cooking away, then you come out ready for a delicious meal.

Done and done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Fugly

This thread got me thinking about gifts to your OH, It can be hell to pick something out, especially if the relationships new-ish. It can be an nightmare, don't want to spend too much/too little, thoughtful is the way to go but even that can be difficult to pick :confused:.

I do recall a friend from college who got me a Take That double disk greatest collection, {we only knew each other ~6months and I'm a huge TT fan}. I did end up scoring him that night and going out with him for nearly 2 years, {and they say love can't be bought. :D.} In all honesty it was that meaningful gift that made me look at him in completely new way.

And yes I am that cheap, I should have held out for Louboutin's:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

He had bloody better or he's dead! I dont expect major gifts like diamonds or anything like that (although I wouldnt say no!) But a bit of a fuss is always nice! I totally spoil him for his birthday cos I love him! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I do like a bit of fuss over my birthday. Its not about expense or a lot of gifts. Its all about the thought. It could be something I admired a few months back, or even something I mentioned in passing, that I liked. If he remembers, thats the sweetest thing. I do like a card, even a handmade one. Ok especially a handmade one, but he didnt get me one this year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd not really expect a present as tbh I can be a nightmare to buy stuff for, and I'd prefer that someone not agonise over something and hope it's right.

Just marking the day is nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

nouggatti wrote: »
    I'd not really expect a present as tbh I can be a nightmare to buy stuff for, and I'd prefer that someone not agonise over something and hope it's right.

The same for me. *I* don't know what on earth I'd want, I have no idea how someone else would know!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

skywards wrote: »
    The same for me. *I* don't know what on earth I'd want, I have no idea how someone else would know!

Exactly, I've usually gotten stuff I want myself, practical stuff would be the sort of stuff I'd most appreciate lol.

That said I do love planning other people's birthdays, I'd great fun with the bf's last birthday, I'd a series of things planned, so prior to each one, he got a small gift, a symbol of the event (e.g. we were going to a comedy show after dinner, so he got a small fork, and one of the smiley theatre symbols). It was fun!

I've spent many happy hours the past week or so beginning to think/plan for xmas :D

Advertisement