Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do u expect your boyfriend to give u a present r do something nice for your birthday?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

I think its nice to make a fuss on someones birthday- its a celebration of their life and its nice to have one day a year to be spoiled and special. An ex boyfriend made a huge effore for my birthday- he got up in the middle of the night and put up balloons, streamers and a big banner. he had the helium balloons hidden in his car all day! He even made a little party hat for my pet mouse. Everything was in yellow- my favorite colour. he got me gorgeous shoes and took me out for yummy dinner in our fave restaurant. I felt really adored and special. I'll never forget it- so thoughtful and he put so much effort in.

I like to do the same back- birthdays are special and deserve to be celebrated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

It totally depends on what each of our financial situations are like at the time!

There's been times when he's been working lots with not many outgoings, and he's gotten me great presents like weekends away, at a couple of hundred euro each, or brought me to Brown Thomas and told me to go mad (within reason of course!) But other times he hasn't had so much cash and he might give me a nice perfume or bring me out for dinner, which I appreciate just as much. He's always had a job since we got together, so he has no excuse not to get me something, but I wouldn't be too bothered about what it was so long as he put a bit of thought into it. And he always gets me great cards - I love cards!

I'm generally poorer than him, so my presents aren't usually as extravagant, but I do my best to get him something he'll love, like tracking down some obsure CD or DVD he's been looking for for ages. Or really specific mudflaps for his car, that was a tough one and he really appreciated it! I tend to get him a few small presents rather than one big one. I did bring him to Edinburgh for his 21st, which was pretty expensive, but the fecker insisted on treating me to loads of stuff over there coz he felt bad about me spending so much on him.

It sounds like I'm a spoilt brat, but while he gets me bigger more extravagent presents, I often get his random little ones throughout the year for no reason. So it works out OK in the end :) It's definitely the thought that counts though, not the amount spent. And it means a lot to me that we always spend our birthdays together, whether it's a night out or a night in with a DVD. That's more important than any present!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

nouggatti wrote: »
    Exactly, I've usually gotten stuff I want myself, practical stuff would be the sort of stuff I'd most appreciate lol.

Its difficult for me, because I work with horses for a living and for fun. No one in my family can tell the front of a horse from the back, so asking for a certain thing is like my brother asking me for car parts for his birthday. Lots of blank stares :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

I get completely spoiled for my b-day, and all year round! We're both very generous with each other though and love to spoil one another with little surprise gifts and treats! The card is always the most important bit though, whatever he writes is worth a million pressies and they're the things we treasure the most from birthdays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

I think everyone wants their birthday to be acknowledged and its always nice to get a little bit spoiled on the day in question.

Its not about the big money gifts, its more about the thought and reason behind the gift/gesture that is important I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭wonderingabout

Yes!!
    As long as he remembers & makes an effort im happy... it doesnt have to be extravagant!
    & he expects the exact same!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I like to think he goes thru a little bit of a sweat to get me something a bit different, something that matches my quirky style or something that only he remembers me saying I would love. Dinner of course would be great but in this "current economic climate" I have to wave bye bye to romantic weekends away :( ..for now!

I would do the same for him. A lot of girls I know get literally showered in gifts as one poster put it already, even tho they may not be the most well off..so gifts have to be economically sound...but a little extra for the ladies:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I wouldn't say I 'expect' a present but I do expect my birthday to at least be acknowledged. That doesn't mean he has to spend a fortune on perfume, dinner, diamonds etc.

For my 18th birthday my boyfriend at the time ditched me/stood me up and went off to a wedding with some other girl. So I rescheduled it (I know, I've got sense since) so I could do something with him but he didn't bother coming to that either. Needless to say, I didn't get anything off of him either. Except realising he was messing around with other people. So in this situation, it was hurtful not getting anything from him but I think that's more because he almost went out of his way to show me he wasn't bothered rather than just doing nothing at all.

If a guy is tight for money then I wouldn't mind at all not getting a pressie. As long as he wrote me a nice card and spent the evening with me. It wouldn't bother me at all! It's the thought that counts so a nicely written card means way more than a guy buying me a €70 bottle of perfume and then fecking off out for the night with his friends.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

With my current GF, we dont do massive presents really apart from xmas. Anniversarys/valentines is dinner but birthdays are normally a gift but it doesnt have to be big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

Never been one for xmas gifts or birthday gifts etc. I'd much rather do something together instead of getting gifts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

I'm single, but if I did, I wouldn't really be bothered either way. It's just a birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

For me some kind of acknowledgment of my birthday and his is important. We always do a small gesture for one another every day but do a bigger one for our birthdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 topsi

I think its all quite relative, i know some couples who make big extravagent efforts for birthdays, and others who might not feel the need to buy each other a pressie cos they might be strapped for cash. If theres a mutual understanding its ok, and nobody feels put out. Personally, I get a kick from putting thought into his birthday present, or getting him something that hes been yapping on about for ages :-D.. and i would look forward to birthday pressie... but i would agree that whatever the scenario, birthdays should at least be acknowledged..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I like to feel special on my birthday. I dont need a fancy present or anything like that. But just something that sets apart my birthday from every other day.

I know to some, birthday's aren't a big deal. They are to me. It's my day, dammit!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

CathyMoran wrote: »
    For me some kind of acknowledgment of my birthday and his is important. We always do a small gesture for one another every day but do a bigger one for our birthdays.

I like the idea of a small gesture every day. My gripe with fuss on a birthday is that it is sometimes a replacement for everyday affection/attention. Obviously it's not in your case and I think that's brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ilovelove

Hi girls,

Just a quick question, i love all the effort and zing aswell but amnt a big pressie person, i prefer effort. On my birthday my boyfriend spent the whole weekend with his mates, one of the nights i ended up sitting in alone it felt like crap. Now we were only going out a few months but i still expected him to make some kind of effort or gesture but he didnt, he didnt even call. we're still togeather, his birthday is coming up and ive always made a huge effort for any boyfriends birthday but i don actually think i want to for him. im still reeling inside about what he did on my birthday i know thats petty but thats how i feel. He very rarely does anything nice for me unless he's going to benefit so i out of spite i dont want to bother with his birthday? is that terribly wrong? dont get me wrong hes a really nice guy but can be quite petty and selfish at time and he doesnt believe in the whole act of romance, somthing i actually live for.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

I suppose it seems kind of selfish if you expect your boyfriend to buy you presents, but for me personally, if my boyfriend didn't get me something, or just organised something for me, I'd feel disappointed. I mean, you're obviously going to counter it on his birthday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

ilovelove wrote: »
    Hi girls,

Just a quick question, i love all the effort and zing aswell but amnt a big pressie person, i prefer effort. On my birthday my boyfriend spent the whole weekend with his mates, one of the nights i ended up sitting in alone it felt like crap. Now we were only going out a few months but i still expected him to make some kind of effort or gesture but he didnt, he didnt even call. we're still togeather, his birthday is coming up and ive always made a huge effort for any boyfriends birthday but i don actually think i want to for him. im still reeling inside about what he did on my birthday i know thats petty but thats how i feel. He very rarely does anything nice for me unless he's going to benefit so i out of spite i dont want to bother with his birthday? is that terribly wrong? dont get me wrong hes a really nice guy but can be quite petty and selfish at time and he doesnt believe in the whole act of romance, somthing i actually live for.

Any advice would be great, thanks!
    Stand up for yourself missus. I know this is more of a PI but I had similar happen to me (if you read I posted a few pages back) and yet I still went and made a huge effort for his birthday. And he ripped me off again the same day. Don't go bending over backwards for this guy if he's giving you no positives back.

Also, no point in quitely reeling over it and feeling worse. Tell him how you feel. Stand your ground, it could be that he doesn't even realise he upset you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ilovelove

Thanks, i needed to hear that! its what i think myself! I actually have told him and he just laughs at it and says to get over it, he doesnt ever realise when he hurts me and he constantly does selfish things like this. I never thought i was the type of person to accept it but i think i have, well ive recently stopped, but its a long road. Im not talking just about the birthday here i mean the relationship in general. unless it suits him its not happening, he never does anything out of his way for me. in fact we never do anything full stop. if we do he makes the plans and tells me, doesnt ask. anyway sure rant over.

I read your Post Miss Lolly and your man sounds like a total ****er. I hope hes out of your like for good, you dont need that type hanging around!

Advertisement