Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless BB help Maynooth

Options
  • 05-08-2009 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I might be moving into a house soon where the owner does not have a phone line and wouldn't want one. So I was looking at my options. I don't want a mobile (O2, meteor, voda, 3g) broadband solution as I'd probably use more than the required usage caps :)

So I was looking at my options:

Clearwire
    Ripwave, but I'm not 100% sure if I can get this (according to the IBB site you can't)
    ICE
    Digiweb

The problems with some of the above is I doubt the house owner would want any attachments to his roof etc. Would someone be able to help me?

Do either Ice or Digiweb require a phone line/house attachement (like IBB Breeze)? Is Clearwire as bad as everyone says it is?

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Of the ones you mention, only Digiweb provide broadband, and I assume it's Metro you're talking about. Ice is pretty much crap, according to all reviews. Clearwire and Ripwave are not broadband.

Metro is wireless, and requires a roof-top aerial. Is UPC an option at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

jor el wrote: »
    Of the ones you mention, only Digiweb provide broadband, and I assume it's Metro you're talking about. Ice is pretty much crap, according to all reviews. Clearwire and Ripwave are not broadband.

Metro is wireless, and requires a roof-top aerial. Is UPC an option at all?

Thanks for the response. I haven't moved in yet. Sky already in the house so I doubt it. Will try to wrangle it maybe :)

I guess anything less than 3 megs these days isn't broadband :) Thinking if all else fails could hopefully get a cheap o2 dongle in sept on top of something like clearwire, so if it acting up could use that instead...

UPC would be my first choice too but I'm limited by the house owner I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

Digiweb Metro or IBB Breeze are the only two I would consider if you can't get UPC or a landline

IBB Breeze works well in Maynooth, have no experience of Metro in that area.

Landlord should not have a problem with attaching antenna as it is put on with a lashing kit so no drilling into chimney or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Was trying to set up the phone one you don't like for a friend. This is a part of the email i sent him

I rang up 3 and here's the story. €20 per month 15 gig limit.
    the speed for the regular modems is 3mbps
    Now if you want to go for 18mon contract you get the modem free (for 3mbps)
    if you want to go for 12 month you pay 9 euro for the modem
    if you want you can buy a modem for 49 euro that will allow you to get 7mbps

Prepay is 119 for a 7mbps modem and you can pay daily:5 weekly:10 or monthly:25
    or 69 for a 3mbps modem
    limit for prepay is 10gig a month.

you planning on downloading 15 gigs a month. You'd never make it unless you were torrenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

wolfric wrote: »
    Was trying to set up the phone one you don't like for a friend. This is a part of the email i sent him

I rang up 3 and here's the story. €20 per month 15 gig limit.
    the speed for the regular modems is 3mbps
    Now if you want to go for 18mon contract you get the modem free (for 3mbps)
    if you want to go for 12 month you pay 9 euro for the modem
    if you want you can buy a modem for 49 euro that will allow you to get 7mbps

Prepay is 119 for a 7mbps modem and you can pay daily:5 weekly:10 or monthly:25
    or 69 for a 3mbps modem
    limit for prepay is 10gig a month.

you planning on downloading 15 gigs a month. You'd never make it unless you were torrenting.

TBH I didnt look at 3. o2 had a 7 gig limit and the others weren't clear. I may go with 3. That seems reasonable. I could be travelling too which would make things easier getting 3.

Thanks for the help lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Skud wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. I haven't moved in yet. Sky already in the house so I doubt it. Will try to wrangle it maybe :)

It shouldn't make any difference to the owner, if you're paying the bill, it's not going to effect them, same with a phone line.
    I guess anything less than 3 megs these days isn't broadband :)

No, quoted speed is largely irrelevant. What you can realistically expect, will it be always on, have low latency, be fixed price, etc would be more relevant.
    TBH I didnt look at 3. o2 had a 7 gig limit and the others weren't clear. I may go with 3. That seems reasonable. I could be travelling too which would make things easier getting 3.

Don't consider mobile midband for home use, it's simply not suited. Consider 3 as a last option after everything else is ruled out. Only get mobile if you are going to be moving around, but get proper broadband for at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Do not consider mobile midband for home use as jor el has said. The quoted speeds (3.6mbps/7.2.mbps) are almost never atainable if there are a handful of users on the mast at any one time. Let's face it, it's Maynooth so the masts will be used quite a bit.

A fair few students will have taken up the offer from HEAnet/O2 for mobile broadband, making O2 a poor enough choice. Hutchinson 3 are a very very very bad option, check out the midband forum for that stick jor el pointed out.

You have many options in Maynooth. If you want my opinion I'd get UPC. I'm pretty sure almost all houses in Maynooth are wired up for Chorus/NTL cable already, so they'll just need to enable it and stick a box in your house, surely the landlord would be amenable to that (they've obviously stuck a satellite dish on the roof for Sky).

If not, then go with Eircom broadband (6 months contract - ideal for students). Eircom might not be the only ones offering the 6 month contract but when I lived in Castledawson a year ago we got the full 7mbps all the time, went over our cap all the time and other such delights! Once again, most houses are wired for landlines so it's not like they'll be drilling through walls and wrecking the place.

If you absolutely cannot get fixed line broadband (and can't contemplate moving house because your landlord is a fussy a-hole) then do not go with ICE. Their support is brutal, their service is brutal and overused and they're messy to deal with - not worth the sheer frustration!

Advertisement