Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I google you" cyberstalking your ex.

Options
  • 05-08-2009 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

As the counter point to the other thread.

I Google you
    late at night when I don't know what to do
    I find photos
    you've forgotten
    you were in
    put up by your friends

I Google you
    when the day is done and everything is through
    I read your journal
    that you kept
    that month in France
    I've watched you dance

And I'm pleased your name is practically unique
    it's only you and
    a would-be PhD in Chesapeake
    who writes papers on
    the structure of the sun
    I've read each one

I know that I
    should let you fade
    but there's that box
    and there's your name
    somehow it never makes the pain
    grow less or fade or disappear
    I think that I should save my soul and
    I should crawl back in my hole
    But it's too easy just to fold
    and type your name again
    I fear
    I google you
    Whenever I'm alone and feeling blue
    And each scrap of information
    That I gather
    says you've found somebody new
    And it really shouldn't matter
    ought to blow up my computer
    but instead….
    I google you

Written by Neil Gaiman

Right you've done it, I know ye all have at least the once if not more, how hard is it not to?
    Honestly I don't get it, I know of people who still do this up to 3 years later maybe I am just too good at drawing a hard line.

Comments

That's creepy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

3 years later seems a bit extreme to me!!!!! That said, my very first boyfriend messaged me on Bebo a few months ago. I was like :O when I saw I had a message from him! Haven't seen him or spoken one word to him since I was 16 and I'm 20 now and I was like "How did you find me?", thinking we must have friends in common or whatever. He was like "I googled your name". WHAT THE HELL?!!

I mean, I have of course looked people up 'cause who hasn't?! When that very guy broke up with me I spent a good few lonely nights gazing at his profile hahahaha. But seriously, if you are still past stalking after any amount of time, I think that's an indication of not having moved on. I dunno.

In general, I think I've only ever ex stalked when I was unhappy! 99% of the time I forget I even have ex boyfriend's!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

She definitely has the creepy stalker ex-girlfriend vibe down in that video, haha.

I google everyone, including myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Novella wrote: »
    Haven't seen him or spoken one word to him since I was 16 and I'm 20 now

It's only four years, in fairness. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Use to be people went to mountain tops .....to find themselfs .

Now they find themselfs on Google ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Xiney wrote: »

Me too. :o

Less so the painful exes, more so the 'hope they're doing well, oh, look they are' exes.

I think it's important to do a quick ego-google of yourself regularly, got to keep an eye on what the interwebs is saying about you (and all those other people with the same name as yourself).

slightly off topic: I *heart* neil gaiman, and cyber stalk him through his v good blog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

cuckoo wrote: »
    Me too. :o

Less so the painful exes, more so the 'hope they're doing well, oh, look they are' exes.

I think it's important to do a quick ego-google of yourself regularly, got to keep an eye on what the interwebs is saying about you (and all those other people with the same name as yourself).

slightly off topic: I *heart* neil gaiman, and cyber stalk him through his v good blog.
    She definitely has the creepy stalker ex-girlfriend vibe down in that video, haha.

Amanda Palmer and Neil Gaiman FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

I have never googled someone other than myself to find out about them. Welll, not someone I *know*! Obviously, famous people and stuff.

I do like an aul Facebook-stalk, I have to say. Very satisfying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

shellyboo wrote: »

That had me laughing out loud. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I used to. But no one who came up with my name was actually me, and I got bored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

shellyboo wrote: »

Guilty as charged.
    But so many people have their profiles set to private now it's kinda pointless. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

bnagrrl wrote: »
    Guilty as charged.
    But so many people have their profiles set to private now it's kinda pointless. :(

that drives me absolutley mental. How can you (stalk) "network" if you don't know what somebody's into because their profile is on private...? :cool:

Bit shallow if you ask me, apparently only adding someone on the basis of their profile picture... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

that drives me absolutley mental. How can you (stalk) "network" if you don't know what somebody's into because their profile is on private...? :cool:

Bit shallow if you ask me, apparently only adding someone on the basis of their profile picture... ;)

And when you get pages and pages of people with the same name as your intended victim friend and not a single profile photo between them. Sheesh!

I've honestly never cyberstalked an ex girlfriend.
    I just don't have that much interest in them to be bothered!
    They're ex's for a reason. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

There's one or two ex's I stalk check up on every now and again to make sure they're still alive. I dont see any harm in it really!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

Same here... I google practically everyone I come across in life. If I have a meeting coming up with someone then I google the person.. gives me a unbelievable feeling of empowerment knowing countless pointless facts about someone that knows very little about me.

Was just talking to a friend of mine a few hours ago and she mentioned that her new boyfriend had been talking about his most recent ex the other day and my friend was in a panic wondering what this ex was like and if she was better looking than her. She said she'd tried to get onto her Bebo and Facebook but that they were both set to private so I came home searched for the ex in Google images, found a few photos and sent them to my friend.. nothing like Googling somebody!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

facebook is for friends who already know each other in real life.

Guys become incredibly boring once I lose the lust for them.

I actually try not to google people, I would rather form an opinion on based on interaction rather than some randomn snipet of info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Guys become incredibly boring once I lose the lust for them.

every guy? how long does the lust last?

every guy? how long does the lust last?

I don't lust that often but yeah actually :o.......Longest 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I have most of my exs added on various social networks and all is well. Don't stalk them at all but knowing I can is always good. Of late a few of them have been saying hello again and I've remembered that they were actually great craic despite whatever made relationships fall apart, so that's nice.
    There's only one ex I'm not somehow networked with and she had to cut the link because she was unable to stop stalking me and commenting etc.

Had to do a project in college last year where we had to use the internet etc to research a classmate... this made me improve my online privacy quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

most recent boyfriend deleted me on my social networking sight:o

have a feeling he caught me stalking oops

wouldnt bother googling people though.
    requires too much effort

Friends with a few. I never really fell out long-term with any of my significant exes, and it's nice seeing what they're up to from time to time.

I don't stalk. If they're were not a friend, it would be obviously for a reason so why bother.

I recently googled a potential girlfriend.
    Is that worse? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MadgeBadge

Perfectly reasonable, I'd be more inclined to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I've had a couple of ex's Google me fairly early in the relationship - it's a weird one because there's quite a bit of personal info about me out there, but by my own choice. Long story short I did an interview in a National newspaper about coping with depression and it's usually the first result that comes back. I'm proud of the article and have no regrets, but it's information I suppose I'd rather I told people face to face as opposed to having them read about it. Still, if something like that puts them off me, that's their loss ;)

I'm more concerned about the AWFUL photo that went with it :o

g'em wrote: »
    I've had a couple of ex's Google me fairly early in the relationship - it's a weird one because there's quite a bit of personal info about me out there, but by my own choice. Long story short I did an interview in a National newspaper about coping with depression and it's usually the first result that comes back. I'm proud of the article and have no regrets, but it's information I suppose I'd rather I told people face to face as opposed to having them read about it. Still, if something like that puts them off me, that's their loss ;)

I'm more concerned about the AWFUL photo that went with it :o

I think they'd be more intimidated by how much more weight you can lift then them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Never really bothered although i did google myself..... a bit scary seeing as a picture of a grave with my name on it came up:eek:

g'em wrote: »
    I've had a couple of ex's Google me fairly early in the relationship

How did that come up exactly?

Did they admit to googling you after a few dates? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

stovelid wrote: »
    It's only four years, in fairness. :)

Four years is almost a quarter of my life!!!

Advertisement