Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power city & LG

Options
  • 05-08-2009 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Well, im furious to be honest! Bought a 47" LG LCD nine months ago & the other day i lost picture but still had sound. Got on to power city, who after you leave your number get back to you (a day later) & was told id hav to ring LG. I told her i bought it off power city so im dealing with you! I brought it down to them, expecting a replacment but was told they would send it off to be fixed. When i asked how long it would take, all i got was "dunno" I asked how come you will replace a toaster no problem & was told because it only costs 30euro! Is it my problem they cost 1000euro! Do i have the right to get a replacement???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ty webb wrote: »
    Do i have the right to get a replacement???

Yes, but they also have the right to offer you a repair. Since they have offered this, they have fulfilled their requirements under the law. If you decide not to accept this, which you can, you'll have to take the matter further, like writing a letter to management, or going to the small claims court. Going to court when you've refused a reasonable offer is not really a good idea.

What you may have in your favour, is whether their offer is reasonable or not. "I dunno" is not a reasonable answer for how long it will take for a repair. Give them an reasonable time frame, 2-4 weeks perhaps, and tell them you want it repaired or replaced in that time. Also try and get any agreement in writing. There's not a lot more you can do after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

A common cause of picture/no sound and sound/no picture is a loose,unsecured or faulty scart/ HDMI lead if you are using equipment from an external source.
    If viewing channels from an analogue source (aerial) Re tune the tv making sure that that the sound source/system in the tuning menu is set to (I).
    Check out these possibilities before you bring it back to Power city.

Good luck op.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

While you are with in your rights to deal with the retailer, you are often better off calling the manufacture's helpline before contacting the retailer.

They will often get you to run a few tests and if they fix the problem (such as your loose scart lead) you will have saved your self a lot of heart ache.

If that is not the case then they will often identify the fault and then when you contact the retailer you can skip all the usual questions and get your unit serviced as soon as poss.

I don't know who has the repair contract for LG but usual turn around for LCDs is 2 weeks. Not testing the unit in store or calling the help line can delay this as the falut needs to be detected before repairs can start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ty webb

Thanks for the feedback. I checked scarts, power supply and was praying it was that simple. I just dont think i will be going back to purchase LG from them anytime soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

While you are absolutely correct that Power City have to deal with your issue, and not LG, I've found that it's often much quicker to deal directly with the original vendor rather than the store.

When you call LG, they will send a courier out to collect it, repair it, and return it via courier. You will also get an LG repair reference no which you can track with a phone call if you feel there's an undue delay.

If you ask Power City to do it for you, they may not call LG the same day, there are more people handling & moving the TV, and if there's any delay, you will have to deal with Power City who in turn will have to call LG before calling you back. In a busy store, this can take time. LG will also return it directly to you, saving you a trip to Power City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

ty webb wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. I checked scarts, power supply and was praying it was that simple. I just dont think i will be going back to purchase LG from them anytime soon...

outside the consumer issue, do you have a lead that connects directly into the TV or is there a box of some kind between the socket and the TV?

Inside the consumer issue while you are perfectly correct I know personally that you are much better contacting LG, they are in city west, power city will do this for you but may drag their heels and purley out of poor customer service. I know LG are a good model so they will want to stand over their stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Agree with the above, and also:

You deal with LG, you ring them and ask for an update, they may have an update.

You deal with PC, you ring for an update, you'll get told it's still with LG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

it should be with LG for 7-10 days and then sent back to power city for you to collect
    you wont get an update until then as its with the engineers.

they are within their rights to send it away for repair (its unlikely thye have facilities to reapir it on onsite)

i would advise keeping very detailed records of dates/times/everything that happens over the coming few days. this is based on a personal experience of power city and an LG TV that took almost a year to resolve and involved going to the SCC.
    i won and got my refund, but would never trust Power City/LG with a TV again after the hassle i had to go through.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Your brought it down to powercity expecting a replacement...that was your first problem :)
    They are well within their rights to send it for repair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 tomsav

Just as a matter of interest, when does the suppliers right to repair kick in? This TV was 9 months old so fair enough. What if it was 9 days old? Can you demand a replacement/money back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

tomsav wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, when does the suppliers right to repair kick in? This TV was 9 months old so fair enough. What if it was 9 days old? Can you demand a replacement/money back?
    If it failed after 9 days, and the fault could be verified in store, then it would be reasonable to expect a replacement. But the fact the TV has worked flawlessly for 9 months before developing a fault, then it's unreasonable to expect an immediate replacement.

None of the parties (customer, store, supplier) have the right to insist on a repair. The store will offer you a form of recourse out of three options: repair, replace, refund. If you don't like their offer, you can always take it to the Small Claims Court who'll then decide what is reasonable. Taking powercity to the Small Claims Court over a 9 month old TV which you will not accept a repair on the first fault incident, will in all likelihood result in the small claims court ruling against you and instead favouring the store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Kensington wrote: »
    If it failed after 9 days, and the fault could be verified in store, then it would be reasonable to expect a replacement. But the fact the TV has worked flawlessly for 9 months before developing a fault, then it's unreasonable to expect an immediate replacement.

None of the parties (customer, store, supplier) have the right to insist on a repair. The store will offer you a form of recourse out of three options: repair, replace, refund. If you don't like their offer, you can always take it to the Small Claims Court who'll then decide what is reasonable. Taking powercity to the Small Claims Court over a 9 month old TV which you will not accept a repair on the first fault incident, will in all likelihood result in the small claims court ruling against you and instead favouring the store.
    i would guess that they would simply rule that the shop has the right to repair it,
    not that the shop would be free from all obligations?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

the shop was a bit loose in their customer service with their "dunno" response but you have no right to a replacement unless they fail to repair it on numerous occasions or it never worked in the first place. Wait to see how quick they repair etc and then judge them, why a replacement per se, you want your tv working and hopefully thats what they will give you with minimum inconvenience.

Advertisement