Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista download speed problem

• 05-08-2009 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭

Set up :

Vista 32bit Ultimate , fully updated.
    Commodo Firewall + Avira
    Dlink - pci wireless card

20mb broadband connection with UPC.

The Problem is that a couple of times a day (cant be more specific than that) my connection will come to a crawl giving me a download speed of 140kb and not the 2000 i usually get. (tested downloading from the likes of HEnet where i know i can get that kind of speed) Either rebooting or disabling the nic and re-enabling it again fixes things but NOT just disconnecting and reconnecting to the wireless network.

More to this, I have had this issue for over 6 months on and off. there are no sources of interference that i can determine, tried leaving firewall off, have rebuilt pc twice, I had the also issue before we switched to upc so it also happened on another router. Other laptop running windows xp uneffected, and I have also tried another wireless adapter, so as you might imagine I have very little hair left at this stage :D

One point to note ICS is enabled on the wireless connection and has to be let on but issue happens whether i am connecting another client through it or not.

Edit: I should add that when the problem happens internal transfers around the house also drop to 140kb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Apologies if I missed this in your post.

When your speeds drop at these times, is there anything by any chance running on the computer in question that only starts at this point?

Check in Task Manager and see if there are any RAM heavy processes or anything using a lot of CPU power that might not be doing so at other times when your internet seems fine. You might need to go into the Performance TAB and then click on Resource Monitor to get a better idea. Also check the Networking TAB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Soundman wrote: »
    Apologies if I missed this in your post.

When your speeds drop at these times, is there anything by any chance running on the computer in question that only starts at this point?

Check in Task Manager and see if there are any RAM heavy processes or anything using a lot of CPU power that might not be doing so at other times when your internet seems fine. You might need to go into the Performance TAB and then click on Resource Monitor to get a better idea. Also check the Networking TAB.

Tried this today and over the last 2 or so days, by just leaving the task manager open couldnt see anything out of the ordinary.

I tested disabling ICS on the wireless adapter, don't kno wif this has fixed it yet as theres no fixed time ofter which the problem occurs. I'll go to download a file and see im getting slow speeds or if i open a few browser tabs in quick succession ill see it grind to open them.

Leaving ICS disabled isn't an option for me even if this fixes the issue :(

Advertisement