Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Impatient drivers taking the fun out of driving

• 05-08-2009 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Why do some drivers deem it necessary to drive up your a*se? I like driving, but it's that kind of crap that puts me off it. A guy called my sis and I w**kers today after beeping at me repeatedly for not speeding over ramps and through a pedestrian crossing. One of these days, I'm going to get rammed by a crazy driver who has little or no patience. Is anyone here one of these drivers or the everyday victims of them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If a lot of drivers do it: you're driving too slow.

Some drivers are cunts, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭YraggarY

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    Why do some drivers deem it necessary to drive up your a*se? I like driving, but it's that kind of crap that puts me off it. A guy called my sis and I w**kers today after beeping at me repeatedly for not speeding over ramps and through a pedestrian crossing. One of these days, I'm going to get rammed by a crazy driver who has little or no patience. Is anyone here one of these drivers or the everyday victims of them?

That sort of carry on, calling you guys w**nkers etc. is totally out of order, especially when you're on a residential / town road (an assumption, due to the presence of ramps and a pedestrian crossing.) A quick EDIT here: If a pedestrian has not placed one foot on to the pedestrian crossing, then you have no reason to stop, as nobody has implied intent to use the crossing. Having 30 children milling about around it however, would be a different story. :pac:
    However, as someone who seems to get stuck behind doddery old farts, self-centred and ignorant-of-the-space-30-feet-around-them middle-aged women in ridiculous S.U.V's, and a fair portion of psychotic gents driving high-powered cars but thinking they're the most important people on the road and deciding that the world will move when they allow it (all of which are sweeping generalisations, of course, but generalisations which I know will be all too familiar for some of you!); I know all too well what its like to be stuck behind someone who just refuses to go anywhere near the speed limit, then deems themselves so important that even when holding up a line of 50 cars will refuse to either pull over, or in the case of a dual-carriageway, pull into the left hand lane. The latter of which happened today on the N11 from Bray out past Kilpedder, some doddery old bint in a Nissan Almera deciding that the world was just a little too fast-paced for her and she'd slow it down a bit for everybody.

ANYWAY. I know the responses will flood in, "Ranting & Raving is thataway --> " and the like, but it just gives you some background into how people think when driving a car which is stuck behind another car whose occupant refuses to be considerate of the road users around them. Not saying that you were doing any of the above, obviously, but some people's patience is virtually non-existent.. Unfortunately, I'm one of those people.. :rolleyes: Also, sorry for the novella. I tend to, well.. rant. :pac:

- Gary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Yeah, tailgaters are assholes. Do you have L plates on your car?

I wouldn't post this in the Motors forums OP, unless you like getting lambasted. They're all quite the experts in there you see, and regularly lecture about how speeding has no link to road deaths and speed limits are only recommendations and they will travel as fast as they god-damn want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i agree with stovelid, if its happening to you alot, you're driving too slow. i am of the impatient persuasion, and unfortunately cannot understand when people drive at pedestrian speed for no apparent reason. SPEED UP OR LET ME PASS!! (not directed at you op)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

That's fair enough (slowing down at ramps etc) but if you were driving at 80 in a 100km zone, I have to say I'd be mighty pissed off. If you can't drive to the limit then pull over and let me by because I'll be dammed if I'll be stuck behind you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Elessar wrote: »

Half-way decent driving is about knowing when you're at fault.

There are some people who will always tailgate but if it happens to you all the time, you could well be driving too slowly.

Tailgaters and dangerous drivers are one thing, but there are lots of people on the road who basically cannot (or are too afraid to) drive properly. If they are not learning, and showing plates, they shouldn't be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

what percentage of the tail gaters are driving Audi A4's?

I had the misfortune recently of sitting behind a **** who decided that he was going to travel at 40mph in a 60mph zone (in Northern Ireland). A row of about 3 cars tolerated this for about 5 miles. I managed to get by the "sheep" and tailed the fcuker for about a half a mile before he stuck on an indicator and pulled into a side road real quick :rolleyes: :eek: You might say "you deserved to run into the back of him" but at that point I wouldn't have given a sh1te. If you don't want to drive up to the limit get off the road or let me by.

He perhaps didn't understand that 60 MPH doesn't mean travelling at a little over 60KMH. He soon got the message when I got up behind him. I hate ***** like that.

<Rant over>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Elessar wrote: »

I wouldn't post this in the Motors forums OP, unless you like getting lambasted. They're all quite the experts in there you see, and regularly lecture about how speeding has no link to road deaths and speed limits are only recommendations and they will travel as fast as they god-damn want.

Correct.
    I'm glad you've finally seen the light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

stepbar wrote: »
    I had the misfortune recently of sitting behind a **** who decided that he was going to travel at 40mph in a 60mph zone (in Northern Ireland). A row of about 3 cars tolerated this for about 5 miles. I managed to get by the "sheep" and tailed the fcuker for about a half a mile before he stuck on an indicator and pulled into a side road real quick :rolleyes: :eek: You might say "you deserved to run into the back of him" but at that point I wouldn't have given a sh1te. If you don't want to drive up to the limit get off the road or let me by.

He perhaps didn't understand that 60 MPH doesn't mean travelling at a little over 60KMH. He soon got the message when I got up behind him. I hate ***** like that.

<Rant over>

relax de kaks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

how can you having fun driving in this country while obeying the law?

Don't get me started on the ***** on the motorway. If I come up behind you I'll give you 10 seconds to indicate left otherwise I'm going up your inside (often times impossible but I've done it a few times out of pure frustration). The right lane is for OVERTAKING not so you can feel like an important tosser by driving on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Pull over for a sec and let them pass. Less stress for you then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

Ok, I know none of those rants were aimed at me, but here's why I may not have been travelling as fast as I normally would. I had just brought my sister to the doctor due to an upset stomach and she begged me not to fly over ramps. It was a very narrow road and the ramps weren't far apart, so it was hard to build up speed quickly, and this guy started beeping at me when I was pulling out onto a roundabout, which I had to stop at before moving onto. My car isn't powerful enough to fly off like a greyhound out of a trap in all fairness.

I've had people pass me out even when I'm breaking the speed limit and going 120km and you have to admit, if you have a small car, you're going to get passed out regardless of your speed. I just think calling both me AND my sister names was a little unreasonable.

And nope, I don't have L-plates. My car is a 95 Nissan Micra, btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I hate slow arse ba$tards in the fastlane almost as much as i hate cnuts who tell me to get out of it even though i'm not holding anyone up. I'm on the speed limit so i'll stay there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

<Rant over>

60MPH signs don't mean go 59/60 either. They are a maximum limit not a target speed. As much as I dislike being behind a slow driver, it's a bad idea to make it any more dangerous. Keep back and you'll get a far clearer view of the road ahead and overtaking opportunities. If I've a heavy load or carrying something like a piano in the van, I will take it slow, especially over speed bumps and around corners, I will pull in at the next available opportunity or slow down on straight stretches to let overtakers pass me by safely, but I wouldn't be happy knowing somebody is up my back side. Remember, if you can't see my wingmirrors, I can't see you.

Actually, you know what's more annoying?
    You do gooders who, when doing the speed limit will hug the white line so as to make it impossible for anyone to overtake you.

It's nothing to do with you if there's people around you overtaking so get down off the high horse.

super-rush wrote: »
    I hate slow arse ba$tards in the fastlane almost as much as i hate cnuts who tell me to get out of it even though i'm not holding anyone up. I'm on the speed limit so i'll stay there.

edit: Sorry..but it's an overtaking lane, not a fast lane.
    If you're not overtaking then you shouldn't be in it.

SV wrote: »
    You do gooders who, when doing the speed limit will hug the white line so as to make it impossible for anyone to overtake you.

It's nothing to do with you if there's people around you overtaking so get down off the high horse.

Carlow is awful for this.

Ah, but thats just the problem right there. Its not a "fast lane", its an overtaking lane. You use it if you encounter a car going slowly in the left hand lane, then pull back in to the left hand lane in order to allow others who feel they are being held up to use it for the same purpose.
    Also, 100KMH on your speedo doesn't always mean you're going 100KMH at the wheels. If you've changed the size of your wheels (say, taken them from 14" factory standard to 17" aftermarket), and not changed the profile of your tires to compensate, then your speedo will read higher than your actual speed.

Another point to note is how do you know if you are holding anyone up or not? Just because there's a speed limit, and while it should always be obeyed so as not to break the law, going the maximum speed limit does not automatically mean that nobody is being held up behind you. There could be somebody rushing their pregnant wife to hospital stuck 5 cars behind you, and because you won't get out of the overtaking lane so - as it seems to me - that you can police the speed limits of those behind you, little John Smith is born going 120KMH on the M50, rather than in a hospital amongst trained professionals. A story to tell his grandkids if nothing else. :pac: The story may seem a little outlandish, but it happened to my father years ago when he was driving my mother to the hospital in a Triumph Stag. He was going over the speed limit (which he should not have been, obviously, especially with his pregnant wife in the car but alas - desperate times call for desperate measures and all that!) and some ponce in a Citroen of some sort kept moving to block his way, purely because he was going fast in a convertible. My father tried to overtake, and this guy pulled into the overtaking lane. So he tried to pass him on the inside lane, and this guy pulled right in in front of him again..

A little longwinded, but the moral of the story is that you never know the situation of the people behind you. They may need to get somewhere in a hurry (a hospital etc.), and they may need to break the speed limit to get there; the Gardaí exist to enforce the rule of law in this country. We don't need do-gooders policing the roads and creating dangerous situations.

- Gary

EDIT: I see SV has already made the "fast lane / overtaking lane" point. I think a huge number of people are simply ignorant of this particular point, and rather than a "He drives, she dies" campaign, we could seriously do with a "Left lane, stay sane" campaign. :pac:

If i am doing 120k in the fast lane then i'm passing everything slower in the middle and slow lanes so where is the hold up. With the amount of traffic on a motorway you should never go over the speed limit that is set out.

• Advertisement

If i am doing 120k in the fast lane then i'm passing everything slower in the middle and slow lanes so where is the hold up. With the amount of traffic on a motorway you should never go over the speed limit that is set out.

If there's someone coming up faster behind you then you should be getting out of the way. Regardless of the speed limit.
    It's nothing to do with anyone else but the Gardaí.

But thats just it. Its not a "fast lane". Its an overtaking lane. And if there are people behind you trying to get somewhere, its courteous and preventative (prevents road rage - a huge cause of accidents and wreckless decision-making) to move left for long enough for those who want to get by to do so. If you then feel that you are unhappy being stuck behind somebody in the middle or far left lane (as I'd imagine you would be, and if so, then you could certainly empathise with those stuck behind you, no?) then feel free to use the overtaking lane to overtake cars traveling too slow for your liking! :)
    Compare the meerkat.com! Simples! :pac:

If there's someone coming up faster behind you then you should be getting out of the way. Regardless of the speed limit.
    It's nothing to do with anyone else but the Gardaí.

The Guards/ES/someone trying to get to a hospital in a hurry are the only people who should be coming up faster behind me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

The Guards/ES/someone trying to get to a hospital in a hurry are the only people who should be coming up faster behind me.

Thats not really your decision to make now is it,you really dont have a clue

Yet anyone can, and do.
    It's absolutely nothing to do with you if they're going faster.

You don't hold the right to decide who upholds the law and who doesn't.

So stop being an arse and just move out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Yeah, those high horse riders are the worst.

jackncoke wrote: »
    Thats not really your decision to make now is it,you really dont have a clue

About what?
    Yet anyone can, and do.

This attitude is the reason why there are so many deaths on the roads. I'm no saint and i do break the speed limits but only when i am sure its reasonably safe to do so. A motorway during the day is no place to be doing over 120k. Whats the feckin hurry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

About what?

How to drive on a motorway

• Advertisement

Yet anyone can, and do.

As SV said, anyone can, and do.

super-rush, how are you to know that someone stuck 3 / 4 cars behind you isn't trying to get to a hospital in a hurry? Indeed, members of the fire services drive their own cars to the station, what if they are speeding to the station in order to get to a fire? (Perhaps you covered that with the ES part, but still, a lot of people forget that firemen and women use their own cars with no lights or sirens to get to the fire station.) In my vision of an Orwellian world, we'd have higher speed limits, vastly superior driver education than we do now, and they'd have speed cameras that not only snap you if you're going too fast, but most certainly snap you if you're going too slow. Perhaps thats what we need on the roads over here?? :pac:

This attitude is the reason why there are so many deaths on the roads. I'm no saint and i do break the speed limits but only when i am sure its reasonably safe to do so. A motorway during the day is no place to be doing over 120k. Whats the feckin hurry?

The reason there's so many deaths on the roads is because it's so easy to get on to the roads in Ireland with poor driving exams which don't test your ability to handle a car at all. Just that you can drive around a town using indicators.

So no, it's not that attitude which causes so many deaths on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

cormie wrote: »
    60MPH signs don't mean go 59/60 either. They are a maximum limit not a target speed. As much as I dislike being behind a slow driver, it's a bad idea to make it any more dangerous. Keep back and you'll get a far clearer view of the road ahead and overtaking opportunities. If I've a heavy load or carrying something like a piano in the van, I will take it slow, especially over speed bumps and around corners, I will pull in at the next available opportunity or slow down on straight stretches to let overtakers pass me by safely, but I wouldn't be happy knowing somebody is up my back side. Remember, if you can't see my wingmirrors, I can't see you.

I don't know - speed signs are round, white on the inside, with a red rim on the outside and the speed is written on them in black...

looks like a target to me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

If you're moving slower than the guy behind, let him pass.

If you're moving faster than the guy in front, don't tailgate.

Simple.

Don't get me started on the ***** on the motorway. If I come up behind you I'll give you 10 seconds to indicate left otherwise I'm going up your inside (often times impossible but I've done it a few times out of pure frustration). The right lane is for OVERTAKING not so you can feel like an important tosser by driving on it.

Whenever possible I drive in lane 1 (the left one), I usually have it to myself :rolleyes:

Often I find that I can continue at the speed limit while the other lanes are moving slower.

YraggarY wrote: »
    As SV said, anyone can, and do.

super-rush, how are you to know that someone stuck 3 / 4 cars behind you isn't trying to get to a hospital in a hurry? Indeed, members of the fire services drive their own cars to the station, what if they are speeding to the station in order to get to a fire? (Perhaps you covered that with the ES part, but still, a lot of people forget that firemen and women use their own cars with no lights or sirens to get to the fire station.) In my vision of an Orwellian world, we'd have higher speed limits, vastly superior driver education than we do now, and they'd have speed cameras that not only snap you if you're going too fast, but most certainly snap you if you're going too slow. Perhaps thats what we need on the roads over here?? :pac:

If a guy is stuck three or four cars behind me then its safe to say i'm not holding them up its one of the 3 cars behind me who are going slower than the speed limit.
    The reason there's so many deaths on the roads is because it's so easy to get on to the roads in Ireland with poor driving exams which don't test your ability to handle a car at all. Just that you can drive around a town using indicators.

So no, it's not that attitude which causes so many deaths on the roads.

I totally agree with you about the driving test and how easy it is to get on the road. The speed attitude is what causes so many deaths on the roads. Anyone i know who has had a crash, including myself, crashed because they were going too fast not too slow.

• Advertisement

So, because that is how you feel, you want to force us all to feel that way.

I hate slow arse ba$tards in the fastlane OVERTAKING LANE almost as much as i hate cnuts who tell me to get out of it even though i'm not holding anyone up. I'm on the speed limit so i'll stay there.

Hogging the overtaking lane is one of the main causes of roadrage!

If a guy is stuck three or four cars behind me then its safe to say i'm not holding them up its one of the 3 cars behind me who are going slower than the speed limit.

So being the first car in a que of 4 cars means that you are not holding the other cars up?

It has to be one of the cars behind you, who can NOT get past you who is to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Don't bother guys, the likes of Super-rush will never get it.

Of course i'll never get it. Because you say so

• Advertisement

P.C. wrote: »
    So being the first car in a que of 4 cars means that you are not holding the other cars up?

It has to be one of the cars behind you, who can NOT get past you who is to blame.

I'll have to hold my hand up on that one. I wasn't really thinking when i wrote that.

loobylou wrote: »
    Don't bother guys, the likes of Super-rush will never get it.

Ah, but if we all took that attitude, then how could we ever expect change? The ones we most need to educate are the ones that are the most set in their ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

since when is driving supposed to be fun? :confused:

What!!

Who is holding up the third car, the second one!
    Who is holding up the second car, the first one!
    Who is holding up the first cat, YOU!

edit: got beaten to it, was stuck in traffic ;)

Iang87 wrote: »

On a race track! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

always. if you don't like driving you're a miserable sod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If you go at less than the speed limit, you'll fail your driving test, they are there to ensure everyone makes good progress on the road, if you cannot travel at the limit, you should not be on the road (unless you are limited due to the vehicle, e.g. trailer, truck, heavy load).

If you are in the outside lane, blocking other cars from overtaking, you can rightly get pulled over by the guards for driving without due care and attention. If you are in the outside lane, and are not actively overtaking, you should not be on the road either. Rules of the road say that you should be in the leftmost lane at all times, unless overtaking, no matter what speed you think you are doing.

Dankoozy wrote: »
    always. if you don't like driving you're a miserable sod

you know you're right i'm a miserable sod. us miserable sods have always had problems with sitting waiting for a light to change and just as you apporach it changes back. We also dont enjoy taxi drivers just turning out in front of us cos unlike the rest of the world us miserable sods are invisible to the naked eye especially when you look in a mirror. We also have grown an instinctive hatred for slow drivers because they're not in a hurry the rest of us will wait and lets not forget the double parking tossers who take up half the road cos they really need to run into a shop to check something for a minute but always ALWAYS meet someone they know and feel cos they're double parked they should have a conversation about being double parked.

But genuinely i'm sure if i didnt mind those things i'd probably enjoy it,

oh oh oh and the romanians cleaning your windows when you can do it with a slight flick of the wrist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

and lets not forget the double parking tossers who take up half the road cos they really need to run into a shop to check something for a minute but always ALWAYS meet someone they know and feel cos they're double parked they should have a conversation about being double parked.

This is perfectly legal for loading and unloading of commercial vehicles for 30 minutes providing you're not breaking any other ROTR where you're parked (too close to junction etc). ;)

cormie wrote: »
    This is perfectly legal for loading and unloading of commercial vehicles for 30 minutes providing you're not breaking any other ROTR where you're parked (too close to junction etc). ;)

regardless of its legality thats not what i was talking about

• Advertisement
Advertisement