Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Impatient drivers taking the fun out of driving

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Aye, if they don't need to be there then get out of there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

oh and people who park in the yellow box adds to my dislike of driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭dollybird09

stopped at lights in Clontarf earlier, one car in front of me... didnt seem to notice that lights had turned green.. so I gave him a min to realise and then just tapped the horn.... next minute the driver gets out, comes back to car and starts shouting at me for being an ignorant impatient b*tch and said he'd smash my car up if he ever saw me again .. I prompty took his licence plate number and reported him... prick scaring me :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

stopped at lights in Clontarf earlier, one car in front of me... didnt seem to notice that lights had turned green.. so I gave him a min to realise and then just tapped the horn.... next minute the driver gets out, comes back to car and starts shouting at me for being an ignorant impatient b*tch and said he'd smash my car up if he ever saw me again .. I prompty took his licence plate number and reported him... prick scaring me :mad:

That's why I don't beep at people :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I had a similar experience driving out of town one day. Car in front of me was at the head of a long queue of traffic and stopped at the lights. Lights went green and the car didn't move so people started beeping. Car still didn't move so I overtook it, the car then proceeded to follow me home [20 minutes later] beeping all the way.

How do people like this get driving licenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Rage rage is a funny thing! Could be the nicest of people walking around in everyday life but when they enter a car its like they think they're in a box of emotion to vent all they're anger out and think that nobody can touch them becoming a total d1ck behind the wheel!

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    My car is a 95 Nissan Micra, btw.
    That explains that. Pull over to the side of the road at the next available opportunity and set your car on fire. You would be faster walking, and you wouldn't hold the rest of us up.

Big_G wrote: »
    That explains that. Pull over to the side of the road at the next available opportunity and set your car on fire. You would be faster walking, and you wouldn't hold the rest of us up.

Hey my car is in pretty good shape compared to a lot of newer cars that fall apart after a few months.

I think the point I was trying to get at is that it always seems to be someone in a Micra/Yaris/Polo/insert small car here/ who seems to be holding everyone up, possibly because they have poor spatial relations, have a fear of driving because of it and hence the small car. These cars have an ability to be driven properly, just not by the people who own them.

Micras=banned. From the roads. And possibly boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

the car then proceeded to follow me home [20 minutes later] beeping all the way.

How do people like this get driving licenses?

You should have pulled over and stabbed him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

These cars have an ability to be driven properly, just not by the people who own them.

I drive one of those small cars and I am constantly held up by dickheads in bigger cars.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I drive one of those small cars and I am constantly held up by dickheads in bigger cars.

There are exceptions. The gf drives a polo like a ****in maniac. I'm so proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭spoon

There's a few things that do my nut in on the roads. I experience being the slow driver as well as being held up.
    I have a classic car that isn't the fastest, but i usually do my best to let people past, and never get a chance to venture into the overtaking lane. However, the amount of seriously dangerous overtaking i see when in the car is unreal. I generally pull into the hard shoulder when i see i'm holding someone up, but i wouldn't do this when I'm on a corner, because i've no idea what's around the bend, nor would people over taking, but this does not stop people over taking me on the corner. The amount of near misses i've seen is just silly.

In my day to day car, i get annoyed by people sitting in the over taking lane. My biggest peeve, is people who only see their turning signals as a novelty, especially on a roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

OP You never have to worry about me tailgating you. Unfortunately you won't like the reason ;)
    If I see a Micra ahead I give it a wide berth until an opportunity to overtake happens. I have had a few close calls with Micras and have developed an irrational fear of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

I'm sick to the teeth of reading about driving complaints!

If you do not like someone's driving then do one of the following:

1) Put up with it!
    2) Note down their reg and report them to traffic watch.
    3) Get their attention if possible and verbally tell them in a polite manner what they did - warning may lead to punches!

What's the point in complaining about someone being a sh*t driver if you do nothing about it?! We all need to speak up when someone does something wrong!!

/rant

• Advertisement

I think the point I was trying to get at is that it always seems to be someone in a Micra/Yaris/Polo/insert small car here/ who seems to be holding everyone up, possibly because they have poor spatial relations, have a fear of driving because of it and hence the small car. These cars have an ability to be driven properly, just not by the people who own them.

I'm sorry, my financial situation only allowed me to afford a Micra and if you went onto the Motors forum, you would find that Micras are recommended as starter cars. And as for people who are able to afford more expensive small cars, why should they be criticised for buying a car that suits them and not one that's bigger than it needs to be? Everyone has to start somewhere, we weren't all born with a ****ing steering wheel in our hands!

Sigh.
    "Do you find something humerous about my appearance? This was the largest auto that I could afford" etc.

I was not talking about the cost of the car. I was talking about micra drivers having a certain attitude to the road. I drive a ****heap. But its a bigger ****heap than a micra.

Wait. That didn't come out right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

kingtut wrote: »
    I'm sick to the teeth of reading about driving complaints!

If you do not like someone's driving then do one of the following:

1) Put up with it!
    2) Note down their reg and report them to traffic watch.
    3) Get their attention if possible and verbally tell them in a polite manner what they did - warning may lead to punches!

What's the point in complaining about someone being a sh*t driver if you do nothing about it?! We all need to speak up when someone does something wrong!!

/rant
    Ranting and raving is that way>>>> :D
    But seriously, i usually find that people who drive bigger cars think they own the fecking road and can be the most impatient of them all!

ShooterSF wrote: »
    OP You never have to worry about me tailgating you. Unfortunately you won't like the reason ;)
    If I see a Micra ahead I give it a wide berth until an opportunity to overtake happens. I have had a few close calls with Micras and have developed an irrational fear of them!

Awh bless :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

This Happens to me a bit, I'm on a cruiser so i don't fly by all traffic all the time and most days i'm just contempt going with the traffic but when someone is right up my h**e for a couple of miles and we come to a red light. . .

That's when I get off the bike and they Properly Back off after my 'polite brief conversations' . . .

He he he, fun fun fun. . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

A flash of the lights may be a subtler way to wake the guy up.

I tend to use the lights.
    The horn (even if a tap) can be interpreted (wrongly of course in this case) as aggression.

Either way he was an a$$hole to do what he did.
    I'm guessing if you were a guy (you're a female i take it) he wouldn't go near you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭plissken

super-rush wrote: »
    I hate slow arse ba$tards in the fastlane almost as much as i hate cnuts who tell me to get out of it even though i'm not holding anyone up. I'm on the speed limit so i'll stay there.

You sir are everything thats wrong with drivers in this country, it is not a fast lane its the overtaking lane, so unless your overtaking get the f**k out of it, its not your job to enforce the speed limits:mad:

plissken wrote: »
    You sir are everything thats wrong with drivers in this country, it is not a fast lane its the overtaking lane, so unless your overtaking get the f**k out of it, its not your job to enforce the speed limits:mad:

+1 I don't know you super-rush. But I hate you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Clearly there was no need for this guy to call you and your sister **** but in all fairness, you have admitted to driving slowly and he wasn't to know you were doing so because your sister was sick.

Driving a Micra is no excuse for driving ridiculously slowly! I drive a 1.1 litre car and have never had any problems with moving sufficiently fast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭mandysmithers

I drive a Yaris, and I've often overtaken Mercs and Audis. Granted, a lot of drivers of Yarises (sp??) and Micras are slow enough, but not all of us!

I bought it because it's economical, not because I'm afraid of driving or have poor spatial relations. Although, it's great for parking in small spaces in which you'd never fit a bigger car :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If any car gets on my goat than any other its a Micra and their drivers. W

Micra's should be scrapped and their drivers given something else or taken off the road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

Hey now I take offence to that. I have a 98 micra and I can guarentee you most times I am one of the fastest cars on the motorway when I'm on it. Its rare if I'm ever over taken, but if there is someone behind I'll certainly let them pass. I think I may have even set a new speed record for a standard micra today. But maybe I'm the exception. Point is not all micra drivers a slow bad drivers.

Novella wrote: »
    Clearly there was no need for this guy to call you and your sister **** but in all fairness, you have admitted to driving slowly and he wasn't to know you were doing so because your sister was sick.

Driving a Micra is no excuse for driving ridiculously slowly! I drive a 1.1 litre car and have never had any problems with moving sufficiently fast!

I never said I was driving purposely slow, I was careful going over ramps and a pedestrian crossing (which is a ramp) and has wooden walls around it so you can't see if anyone's crossing until you reach it. And I was next to a flippin Garda Station so I wasn't going to speed up excessively just to satisfy the p***k behind me. And I didn't use my Micra as an excuse, I was merely saying that barely any car can take off at the speed of light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

i think at some stage we have all been tailgated/stuck behind a slow driver. what gets me mad is when i am on a motorway and i'm overtaking a line of slow moving cars/trucks. i'm sitting at 120kph and then some tosser comes flying up doing 140kph and starts flashing thier lights.

if i judge it safe to pull in then i will, but i will not allow myself to be builled into moving left into a gap that offers little room to slow down to the left lane speed. i would also be reluctant to move into the space a driver has left for braking distance from the car in front.

plus i hate when i get past the slower moving cars/trucks and the tailgater expects me to move instantly to my left. its safer to move ahead a little to give them braking distance for when i move over instead of cutting them up and scaring them witless.

oh and in the past,when my child was rushed to hospital and i had to follow the ambulance, the driver warned me to make my way there on my own and not to copy his driving as he is well trained. it took me twice as long to get there driving at the proper speed but at least i got there. say what you like but there is no excuse for anyone to go above the speed limilt unless they have gotten the proper training and are allowed by law to do it. (garda,ambulance,firemen etc)

rant over (sorry for any offence caused)

After reading soups05 post, nobody and I mean nobody should have to justify why they drive safely. It is the dangerous drivers who only care about themselves that should cop on and explain why they feel the need to risk other people's lives.

Fair play to you soups05 (and the other like minded people in this thread)!
    I'm glad there are still a few law abiding, safe drivers on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭YraggarY

soups05 wrote: »
    oh and in the past,when my child was rushed to hospital and i had to follow the ambulance, the driver warned me to make my way there on my own and not to copy his driving as he is well trained. it took me twice as long to get there driving at the proper speed but at least i got there. say what you like but there is no excuse for anyone to go above the speed limilt unless they have gotten the proper training and are allowed by law to do it. (garda,ambulance,firemen etc)

My apologies for cutting your quote down, but this specific part is what I wish to respond to.
    There are occasions when an ambulance is not available, or will simply take far too long to arrive, and which, in a severe emergency, warrants you getting into your own car and driving to the nearest hospital. Now to use a purely hypothetical situation; if your child, or anybody's child, had ingested something toxic (white spirits, rat poison etc.) and you call 112, and are told that the nearest ambulance will be with you in 30 minutes, then what are you to do? Do you a) Wait patiently while your child stops breathing in your arms, b) Use your medically untrained mind to do what you think a doctor might do, or c) Get you and your child into your car and drive as quickly and as safely as possible to the nearest hospital. Keep in mind that in serious emergencies such as the one above, every second does indeed count. And if you can make it to the hospital in 15 minutes, whereas it would take the ambulance 30 minutes to arrive, plus maybe 10 minutes to get to the hospital - 40 minutes in total, then being perfectly honest, which option would you take?
    After reading soups05 post, nobody and I mean nobody should have to justify why they drive safely. It is the dangerous drivers who only care about themselves that should cop on and explain why they feel the need to risk other people's lives.

Fair play to you soups05 (and the other like minded people in this thread)!
    I'm glad there are still a few law abiding, safe drivers on the roads.

Indeed, nobody should have to justify why they drive safely; safe driving should be the biggest part of every road users daily life. However, people who are driving safely, adhering to speed limits and such, but are causing the person stuck behind them to succumb to the nasty effects of road rage, certainly shoulder part of the blame. If you are traveling at what reads 120kmh on your speedo, you aren't aways necessarily doing that speed. Many speedometers have an average of an 8% difference in what they read, and the actual speed at the wheels. So if you're traveling what you think is 120kmh, you may indeed only be traveling at 110.4kmh. When you find somebody driving along doing this in the overtaking lane, instead of using the lane for its proper purpose of overtaking, it can get incredibly frustrating. I usually drive at the reading of 130kmh on the motorway, because I know that that reading on my speedometer is within the 10% limit that the Gardaí use on speed cameras. Obviously, I adjust my speed relevant to the driving conditions at the time, but you need to realise that people are always going to want to get somewhere in a hurry. To police the roads yourself by blocking the overtaking the lane is not only illegal, it is downright dangerous. (Caveat: I'm not saying that YOU personally are doing this kingtut, it is merely an observational statement.)

- Gary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

YraggarY wrote: »
    However, people who are driving safely, adhering to speed limits and such, but are causing the person stuck behind them to succumb to the nasty effects of road rage, certainly shoulder part of the blame.
    Sorry, but this is part of the problem, the road rager blaming the law abiding safe driver (as described above) for his impatience. This driver in front is not to blame in any way for the person stuck behind them allowing himself to succumb to the nasty effects of road rage. BTW this doesn't apply to non law abiding drivers such as lane-hoggers, etc. who are fair game.

I agree with the rest of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Sorry, but this is part of the problem, the road rager blaming the law abiding safe driver (as described above) for his impatience. This driver in front is not to blame in any way for the person stuck behind them allowing himself to succumb to the nasty effects of road rage. BTW this doesn't apply to non law abiding drivers such as lane-hoggers, etc. who are fair game.

I hope you are not trying to defend somone who drives in the overtaking lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

I have taken to blowing kisses and smiling sweetly at any drivers who get impatient with me on the road. :o

On the other hand though drivers who drive at a ridiculously slow snails pace and speed up and drive in the middle of the road when you try to overtake them also piss me the feck off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

I hate those people who drive close behind lorries or other slow moving vehicles, with no intentions (or power) of overtaking, holding you up because its too dangerous to overtake them both. Back off and let someone else have a chance!

P.C. wrote: »
    I hope you are not trying to defend somone who drives in the overtaking lane.

I think you'll find my second last sentence includes anyone driving in the OT lane when not performing an overtaking manoeuvre. (ar$e already covered :D)

Another annoyance is trucks in the overtaking lane, especially those going 0.1kph faster than the yoke they're overtaking. Do truck drivers know they're not supposed to be there?

Another annoyance is trucks in the overtaking lane, especially those going 0.1kph faster than the yoke they're overtaking. Do truck drivers know they're not supposed to be there?

On a two lane duel carriageway/motorway it's legal for a truck to overtake, but on a three lane duel carriageway/motorway, trucks are banned from lane three.

Trucks are (should be) fitted with speed limiters, this makes the task of overtaking muuuch longer than it should be, it really needs the overtaken truck to ease off and let the other guy pass. Most dont' :mad:

YraggarY wrote: »

Indeed, nobody should have to justify why they drive safely; safe driving should be the biggest part of every road users daily life. However, people who are driving safely, adhering to speed limits and such, but are causing the person stuck behind them to succumb to the nasty effects of road rage, certainly shoulder part of the blame.

I am shocked by this statement! If I am in a 100km/h zone doing 100km/h (yes I know the speedo is not 100% accurate) then I am obeying the law. If someone is 'stuck' behind me then I am certainly not to blame! They are for attempting to drive over the legal speed limit. I am not policing the roads in anyway by doing this, just simply choosing to drive in a legal and safe manner.

I am shocked by this statement! If I am in a 100km/h zone doing 100km/h (yes I know the speedo is not 100% accurate) then I am obeying the law. If someone is 'stuck' behind me then I am certainly not to blame! They are for attempting to drive over the legal speed limit. I am not policing the roads in anyway by doing this, just simply choosing to drive in a legal and safe manner.

Are you preventing them from passing you? i.e. sitting in the overtaking lane while the lane to your left is clear for example, or worse creeping past slower vehicles at their speed +1kmh thus taking a couple of Kilometers to pass.

• Advertisement

On a two lane duel carriageway/motorway it's legal for a truck to overtake, but on a three lane duel carriageway/motorway, trucks are banned from lane three.

Trucks are (should be) fitted with speed limiters, this makes the task of overtaking muuuch longer than it should be, it really needs the overtaken truck to ease off and let the other guy pass. Most dont' :mad:

Legal on a dual carriageway but no fun if you're waiting ages on him to finish the job. Definitely not legal on a 2-lane motorway on the basis of
    (a) lane 2 is the OT lane and
    (b) the max speed limit for trucks (real ones not small ones) is 80kph.
    Rules of the Road
    You must not drive a type of vehicle that is restricted to a maximum vehicle speed limit of 80 km/h or less in the traffic lane nearest the centre median of the motorway (the outside lane). An exception to this prohibition applies at any location where the speed limit is 80km/h or less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If you are driving in such a way that holds up traffic, then you are to blame, this includes sitting in the overtaking lane, or preventing faster traffic from overtaking you when they are able to do so (you should slow down in overtaking areas).

You would fail your test if you took it with that attitude.

soups05 wrote: »
    i think at some stage we have all been tailgated/stuck behind a slow driver. what gets me mad is when i am on a motorway and i'm overtaking a line of slow moving cars/trucks. i'm sitting at 120kph and then some tosser comes flying up doing 140kph and starts flashing thier lights.

if i judge it safe to pull in then i will, but i will not allow myself to be builled into moving left into a gap that offers little room to slow down to the left lane speed. i would also be reluctant to move into the space a driver has left for braking distance from the car in front.

plus i hate when i get past the slower moving cars/trucks and the tailgater expects me to move instantly to my left. its safer to move ahead a little to give them braking distance for when i move over instead of cutting them up and scaring them witless.

If you are sitting at 120kph on the motorway and passing out a line of slow moving cars, then it is the bastards going at 100 or 80 in the left lane that are at fault here, just as much as the guy going 140 (probably me). I do have to say though, that I find it incredibly irritating when somebody makes no effort to move aside when I am trying to pass. I would never flash in the situation that you describe above, which would not occur if people all did the speed limit, or near to, and maintained a proper distance between themselves and the car in front.

I do agree that nobody should have to defend themselves for safe driving habits. But who says driving significantly below the speed limit is safe driving, particularly on the motorway? I say it isn't, because it is creating a speed differential that can cause an accident.

This may sound trite, but I feel that it is not speed as such that causes accidents. It is changes in velocity and peoples reaction to those changes that cause accidents. A fast driver can, in fact, be a safe driver. As demonstrated by gardai and emergency services personnel who are trained to drive quickly and successfully do so on a daily basis.

So, to sum up, slow drivers bad, fast drivers good. :D

Are you preventing them from passing you? i.e. sitting in the overtaking lane while the lane to your left is clear for example, or worse creeping past slower vehicles at their speed +1kmh thus taking a couple of Kilometers to pass.

My post was refering to the left lane as the overtaking lane is for overtaking only.

To answer your question - I do not prevent anyone from passing me. If I am doing 100 in a 100 zone and they wish to pass me they can use the overtaking lane. If it is a road that has only one lane per direction and I am doing 100 in a 100 zone then there is no reason as to why they would be 'stuck' behind me unless they are going over the speed limit. In this sort of situation I move in as far as I can provided it is safe to do so, otherwise they may perform a dangerous maneovere which could endanger my life and those of any passengers in the car.

Sorry for the long winded answer but that's the answer nevertheless.

astrofool wrote: »
    If you are driving in such a way that holds up traffic, then you are to blame, this includes sitting in the overtaking lane, or preventing faster traffic from overtaking you when they are able to do so (you should slow down in overtaking areas).

You would fail your test if you took it with that attitude.

I do not hold up traffic and I only use the overtaking lane for overtaking. However yes, if someone (not me because I do not do it) sits in the overtaking lane then they are to blame, I however never said that I sit in the overtaking lane.

I passed my test first go and having a safe driving attitude (along with an understanding of the rules of the road) is certainly not going to make anyone fail the test.

Legal on a dual carriageway but no fun if you're waiting ages on him to finish the job. Definitely not legal on a 2-lane motorway on the basis of
    (a) lane 2 is the OT lane and
    (b) the max speed limit for trucks (real ones not small ones) is 80kph.
    Rules of the Road

If the legal limit for trucks is 80kmh, then about 99% ignore it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

stepbar wrote: »
    Don't get me started on the ***** on the motorway. If I come up behind you I'll give you 10 seconds to indicate left otherwise I'm going up your inside (often times impossible but I've done it a few times out of pure frustration). The right lane is for OVERTAKING not so you can feel like an important tosser by driving on it.

Amen to that.

GTFO of the righthand lane if I'm behind you or I will underpass you, and probably give you the finger while I do it, you ignornant noobie.

The Guards/ES/someone trying to get to a hospital in a hurry are the only people who should be coming up faster behind me.

or me cause I **cough** Drive fast **cough**
    ;)

This attitude is the reason why there are so many deaths on the roads. I'm no saint and i do break the speed limits but only when i am sure its reasonably safe to do so. A motorway during the day is no place to be doing over 120k. Whats the feckin hurry?

The motorway during the day or night is probably the safest place to do over 120km/h, speedo is probably wrong too, your doing about 110km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Hmm so is it illegal to pass someone in the left lane? 'Cause I was driving on the N7 the other night and some wanker in the right hand land was doing about 80kmph and just wasn't moving from that lane to let me by. I passed him in the middle lane and gave him a "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!" look but sure he stayed there anyway!

and nearly all Toyotas for that matter, Corollas/Avensis/Yaris, omg feck off out of my way you noobie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement