Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earth science

Options
  • 05-08-2009 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was thinking of applying to do a degree in earth science,next year,I was wondering has anyone on boards done this degree and what are the Job prospects like upon completion of an earth science degree here in Ireland.
    Thanks
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

One thing you should be careful about is that this degree is veeeerrrrry maths based: although you won't have to do any of the mad theoretical stuff you'll take alot of classes in applied maths (or math. physics in UCD). This is what I'm majoring so I share a lot of classes with the climate and earth science folk. Most of them seem to enjoy the course, bar the maths emphasis, so if you can handle the likes of differential equations, mechanics and vector analysis, then defo go for it.

As for jobs I'm not to sure. It is technically a maths degree, so you might be eligible to do some type of post grad in computational science, which have great job prospects. There's a huge amount of research in meteorology going on in UCD, if you wanna stick with that. Met Eireann I'd would be a big employer as well. Also, it's a fairly small course so I wouldn't say there'd be much competition knocking about when you graduate. Also check your inbox there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Slumlion

One thing you should be careful about is that this degree is veeeerrrrry maths based: although you won't have to do any of the mad theoretical stuff you'll take alot of classes in applied maths (or math. physics in UCD). This is what I'm majoring so I share a lot of classes with the climate and earth science folk. Most of them seem to enjoy the course, bar the maths emphasis, so if you can handle the likes of differential equations, mechanics and vector analysis, then defo go for it.

As for jobs I'm not to sure. It is technically a maths degree, so you might be eligible to do some type of post grad in computational science, which have great job prospects. There's a huge amount of research in meteorology going on in UCD, if you wanna stick with that. Met Eireann I'd would be a big employer as well. Also, it's a fairly small course so I wouldn't say there'd be much competition knocking about when you graduate. Also check your inbox there.
    Hey,I got the mail,sounds good as I am very good at maths,as in Met Eireann as a prospective employer that would suit me down to the ground as it's only down the road!
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

sounds like a great course if I was younger I would love to do it, the best of luck whatever you decide.

Advertisement