Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the guy who lives on Abbey St ?

Options
  • 05-08-2009 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

Who's that chap who lives in that mad looking building on Abbey St there next to the Epicurean ? There's some mad designs on the front of the building, a sculpture in the window and a green bike outside the hall door.

Passed by there today and this cool looking dapper fella with a suit a hat and a little smoke appeared from behind the door. Deadly moustache too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

he's an artist - cant remember his name at the moment - but the council have started legal matters to try to get the house.

its worth about 2Million according to newspapers, fair play to him....he's been living there a number of years and making pieces of art from discarded pieces found in rubbish skips and in the liffey (I think).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Mr. Donnelly is his name. Pop a bottle of wine his way now and again. Worth kept going in the city. He hasn't had as many of his works out in the last few years though. I think he's been a bit under the weather.
    The house isn't a squat, it was originally rented out to him privately but as said there have been steps made by the coucil. He's been there nearly 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

PCPhoto wrote: »
    he's an artist - cant remember his name at the moment - but the council have started legal matters to try to get the house.

its worth about 2Million according to newspapers, fair play to him....he's been living there a number of years and making pieces of art from discarded pieces found in rubbish skips and in the liffey (I think).

That sounds similar to a story I heard a couple of years ago.

He did used to get down into the Liffey on low tides but I haven't seen him do that in years.
    My own favourite is the tree made from barbed wire and suders hanging from it.

humberklog wrote: »
    Mr. Donnelly is his name. Pop a bottle of wine his way now and again. Worth kept going in the city. He hasn't had as many of his works out in the last few years though. I think he's been a bit under the weather.
    The house isn't a squat, it was originally rented out to him privately but as said there have been steps made by the coucil. He's been there nearly 20 years.

checked my files:

Gerard Dowling is his name - very nice guy....always willing to have a chat.

I hope he gets to keep the house

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    He did used to get down into the Liffey on low tides but I haven't seen him do that in years.
    My own favourite is the tree made from barbed wire and suders hanging from it.

he has that outside - at least he had it outside when I was down with him a couple of weeks ago ...barbed wires and baby soothers !!! (Together at last !)

Oops Dowling it is indeed. Thanks PC.
    I knocked in about three months ago as I hadn't seen him about. It took him a while to get to the door and when he did he didn't strike me as being too fit. I dropped the bottle off and made my merry way.
    I did see him pop up in a photo on the Random Thread and he was looking dapper. So maybe it was just the day that was in it.
    He just doesn't seam to be out and about as much.

Cheers for the pics and info.

€2million my arse!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I was only taking photo's of that house last week, always wondered what it was though, i presumed it wasa student gaf with the types of people coming and going. would be a shame to see it gone though, its like that for as long as i can remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

If it belongs to the council then it belongs to all of us; if he got title to it he'd just sell it.

Masada wrote: »
    I was only taking photo's of that house last week, always wondered what it was though, i presumed it wasa student gaf with the types of people coming and going. would be a shame to see it gone though, its like that for as long as i can remember.

Have you any pics uploaded on the INTERNET somewhere ? :)

I've never actually seen anyone come or go before today and I've been in and out of town for the last 10 years. Mind you I don't always call by there as I've no need for a holiday, American sports clothes or a subscription to scientology :p.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭D.U.M.B

Let him have the house!

we'll find out in October (thats when the case is set for hearing)

Have you any more info about this chap then ? Does he let people have a stroll around the house to see his stuff ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

i remember chatting to him about 20 yrs ago, i used to get the 25 bus outside his house, he was just a regular nice dubliner as i remember him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

He was in one of the Sunday papers last week, pretty sure it was the Tribune.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Here's a couple of images of that house taken in 2007.

AbbeyStreetMiddleHouse.jpg

AbbeyStreetMiddle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I used to love looking at his sculptures years ago when I'd be waiting on the 25 to take me back to Lucan. There was always something new to see. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I heard the scientology building was around that area and I always assumed that building was it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I heard the scientology building was around that area and I always assumed that building was it

No that was the same side of the road but a bit up, towards Easons. There used to be a little fellow with tight curly hair that would stand outside in a short sleeved white shirt and offer you a free personality test. Very pleasant guy to chat to, nice chap, just a pity he was scientologist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

IIRC, there used to be absolutely brilliant and macabre thing on the fence: like rolls of razor wire with baby soothers hanging off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

stovelid wrote: »
    like with baby soothers hanging off it.
    That rings a bell alright!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

this is the house taken a couple of weeks ago,
    He must take the bike thingy down at night, its only there every now and then, :)

3796017651_eb3a80600d_b.jpg

3796002589_0b33657ba4_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

That rings a bell alright!

I think that's it in your second photo (post 19), mate.

Missed Humberklog's comment about it earlier in the thread, sorry.

It's one of my favourite sculptures ever. Only saw it once or twice but have never forgotten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

There's a lot of different stories about the place - As far as I knew, his sister owned the house and died, it got passed on to him. That was from someone that worked on a documentary with/on him, but I never got to see the documentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

I was at a party in the house a few years ago, he runs it as a gallery officially but i think that might be a ruse to allow him to hang on to it. the first floor in in good repair, and he has a few rooms he lives in, the rest of the house is in a terrible state, no bannisters on the stairs, rooms in the walls and floors, no water or electricity in some parts, back garden is full of ****e.

Good Party though. A POlish friend of mine - he's gone back now - used to run a movie club in it there on a sunday, showing polish/russian and other eastern european films

Fajitas! wrote: »
    There's a lot of different stories about the place - As far as I knew, his sister owned the house and died, it got passed on to him. That was from someone that worked on a documentary with/on him, but I never got to see the documentary.

You wouldn't have any idea where'd I get hold of that documentary or some more info about it please ?

Btw, interesting that the barbed wire/soothers thing doesn't really show up in the pics :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

LEGEND!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I work a few doors down, and my brother knows him to talk to but I can't remember the fellas name off hand. Obv a bit of an artist, holds the odd sale of his own and exhibitions of other peoples works too.
    Scares the bejesus out of tourists with a bit metal contraption that he kind of hand puppets. The bicylcle and the barbed/dummy-mobile get taken in and put out at random.

Edit: Read the full thread this time...

Scientologists are still in their old place, you can spot the Dianetics and Scientology plate beside the door. Roughly opposite the old Indo front doors. They still do the whole stress test con as well.
    Funny to pass on a Saturday because a bunch of 4Chan/Anonymous mooks troll the pavement on the other side of the street. Used to be they did it right at the door, but I think the travel agent beside complained to the guards. Either way, you don't see a peep out of the Scientologists on a Sat!

Advertisement