Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband WiMax?

Options
  • 05-08-2009 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hey i got an email from Irish Broadband that they are rolling out new wireless service called WiMax..does anyone know when they will release the details for this? Or will the the new chorus ntl service be a better option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

UPC (Chorus/NTL) better.

Wait and see what KIND of WiMax Imagine/IBB do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I think I remember something back in 2005 where they were going to offer Wimax or a roll out of some sorts to 14 different areas, I would be very interested in this if it is on course , I think they were proposing speeds along the line of 12meg !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Just searched it on google , here is the press release from November 2005 !!!!

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/documents/Irish%20Broadband%20launches%20major%20national%20WIMAX%20rollout.pdf

watty wrote: »
    UPC (Chorus/NTL) better.

Wait and see what KIND of WiMax Imagine/IBB do.[/QUOTE

I dont see an mention of UPC (Chorus/NTL) doing WiMax in the SBP article in the following link :

http://www.sbpost.ie/computersinbusiness/broadband-battles-42847.html

do you have any further info on what UPC will be offering and when , looks like an Autumn launch from Imagine/IBB,
    I hope so anyway !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

looks like an Autumn launch from Imagine/IBB,
    I hope so anyway !!!

Early - Mid September I believe is the time-frame they hope to launch in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Just got a phone call from Irish Broadband. A engineer or guy is coming over on Thursday evening at 3 pm to install a Wimax service to my house. He said he would have to connect things to my laptop. What does this all mean? he said it would be 4g..what does that mean?

Is this new Wimax service good? am nervous.

Just got a phone call from Irish Broadband. A engineer or guy is coming over on Thursday evening at 3 pm to install a Wimax service to my house. He said he would have to connect things to my laptop. What does this all mean? he said it would be 4g..what does that mean?

Is this new Wimax service good? am nervous.

What have you got from IBB/Imagine at the minute?

Ripwave- it is ****!

Will the new 4g connection be any better?

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Ripwave- it is ****!

I just got Breeze IBB/Imagine installed yesterday and was quizzing the lads up on the WiMax but they were giving nothing away although he did say the roll out in Dublin is 2 months behind schedule and that they have stopped taking orders for Breeze in Dublin !

They gave me a breeze max signal box which they said is in the middle of breeze standard and WiMax and that the breeze max does not need line of site to the High site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

I'm also confused...

Is this just applicable to the out of the box BB?

I have the fixed wireless - any idea whether Wimax would be faster or again, does it depend on the type?

Cheers,
    F

Ripwave- it is ****!

If it uses outdoor fixed aerial yes. Faster.

If it's Mobile WiMax, then it may or may not be faster depending on location, but would be lower latency.

Ripwave was originally a Wireless "ISDN replacement", though much worse latency as it's S-CDMA (like 3G in disadvantages without the advantages). Ripwave is poorer than GSM's EDGE in some ways (a 2.5G tech)

If it uses outdoor fixed aerial yes. Faster.

If it's Mobile WiMax, then it may or may not be faster depending on location, but would be lower latency.

Ripwave was originally a Wireless "ISDN replacement", though much worse latency as it's S-CDMA (like 3G in disadvantages without the advantages). Ripwave is poorer than GSM's EDGE in some ways (a 2.5G tech)

What is lower latency?

The guy i was talking to said he would not need to access the roof but that he would have to hook things up to my laptop-15 mins...god i hope this dosent turn out to be trite! As it stands im aleady looking for a new isp..maybe BT on their 'unlimited download' broadband deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What is lower latency?

The guy i was talking to said he would not need to access the roof but that he would have to hook things up to my laptop-15 mins...god i hope this dosent turn out to be trite! As it stands im aleady looking for a new isp..maybe BT on their 'unlimited download' broadband deal.
    Stick with WiMax, it will be much much cheaper than the likes of BT, you'll also be able to able get the phone through WiMax, ergo, no line rental!

Stick with WiMax, it will be much much cheaper than the likes of BT, you'll also be able to able get the phone through WiMax, ergo, no line rental!

Phone services via Wimax- like actual phone service as in a physical phone in the wall or through applications like Skype?

Phone services via Wimax- like actual phone service as in a physical phone in the wall or through applications like Skype?
    An actual phone, you can keep your current number too.

An actual phone, you can keep your current number too.

Eh..i have an eircom landline at the moment..does wimax include phone calls without a landline charge?

There will be a monthly charge, but nothing close to Eircom's line rental, probably in the region of 5-10 euro a month.

There will be a monthly charge, but nothing close to Eircom's line rental, probably in the region of 5-10 euro a month.

I take it you have wimax youself..the 5-10 euro aside, how much does making calls cost? and is the actual phone service audible and reliable?

I take it you have wimax youself..the 5-10 euro aside, how much does making calls cost? and is the actual phone service audible and reliable?
    Don't have WiMax but know a small bit about it, don't know specific call rates but it would be cheaper than Eircom (wouldn't be hard as Eircom are a rip off). IBB are part of the Imagine Group, Imagine generally say they are 30% cheaper than Eircom for calls. There shouldn't be any issues with the phone service in terms of reliability.

• Advertisement

I just got Breeze IBB/Imagine installed yesterday and was quizzing the lads up on the WiMax but they were giving nothing away although he did say the roll out in Dublin is 2 months behind schedule and that they have stopped taking orders for Breeze in Dublin !

They gave me a breeze max signal box which they said is in the middle of breeze standard and WiMax and that the breeze max does not need line of site to the High site

Ok i live in Dublin..so if breeze has stopped being ordered in dublin..what am i getting on thursday?

WiMax:)

I'm really not up on the technical side of things tbh.

This little vid seems good - http://www.wimax.com/education

Thanks for the video link :).

So Wimax is still technically mobile internet access? ugh i guess the speeds will be quite slow. Although in that video the woman was able to watch a film and play a game..exaclty how fast will Irish broadband wimax be? and not just in theory but the speeds actual users get.

Cant find any info on speed on the irish broadband website and my google searches only turn results on news reviews, no info from consumers.

The speed will match any DSL speed (broadband via landline) you will get from Eircom or B.T.

Obviously there will be different speeds available at different prices.

The speed will match any DSL speed (broadband via landline) you will get from Eircom or B.T.

God i hope your right..worse case scenario i could get bt ireland installed and cancel irish broadband...ugh

Absolutely untrue for Mobile WiMax. Only true at lower DSL speeds for Fixed WiMax.

You'll not have very many customers on more than 3Mbps Fixed Wimax unless Imagine/IBB has suddenly got a big bunch of new licences. Speed depends on cell size & Spectrum. WiMax can't break the laws of physics.

Also DSL can be very low or uncontended quite easily just by increasing exchange backhaul.

Wireless uses limited shared spectrum on each mast, so the contention can only be improved by less customers, lower caps or lower speed packages.

What Speeds/ Prices/Contention ratios?

Absolutely untrue for Mobile WiMax. Only true at lower DSL speeds for Fixed WiMax.

You'll not have very many customers on more than 3Mbps Fixed Wimax unless Imagine/IBB has suddenly got a big bunch of new licences. Speed depends on cell size & Spectrum. WiMax can't break the laws of physics.

Also DSL can be very low or uncontended quite easily just by increasing exchange backhaul.

Wireless uses limited shared spectrum on each mast, so the contention can only be improved by less customers, lower caps or lower speed packages.

What Speeds/ Prices/Contention ratios?

548457876.png

I am on IBB breeze with a 24/1 contention ratio €55 a month

It is supposed to be 4Mb upload and download, but the best the lads were getting when setting it up was 3.2Mb upload and 3.8Mb download (They said it was cause they were using a non line of site VL radio)

I would presume that Wimax will offer better speeds ?

Why? If you are on Ripwave, maybe you would see a significant change. Or maybe not.

Breeze is Fixed Wireless and the performance is limited by Terrain, distance and number of users. If Fixed WiMax is in the same channel size, same band and same number of users on a mast Sector it will not be much different.

4Mb each way would be package speed. Since the the system is contended (Up to 48:1 allowed by ComReg), and could not be economical otherwise you'd rarely get full speed on ANY wireless system except maybe at off peak times.

WiMax at higher Frequencies (3.6GHz to 22GHz) where there is Line of Sight can actually be 10% less efficient than other systems as it uses OFDM (good for Non-LOS, Lower frequency Multipath, into Building reception) and OFDM needs a 10% "dead time" between symbols to allow the Multipath mitigation to work.

Basically the best advantage on WiMax is Mobile/Nomadic 2GHz and lower Non-LOS systems. Which is still inferior speed/spectrum efficency to Fixed Wireless on LOS (Line of Sight).

If everything else is equal, a Fixed Wireless system can give about x8 to x20 extra capacity (Sum of users @ speed per user) per cell/sector compared with Mobile/Nomadic.

On LOS (Line Of Sight) outdoor aerial/radio systems there is really little or no advantage to WiMax (the OFDM being the significant feature).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

There are comments in the press about the IBB/Imagine role out giving speeds of 10Mb/s and up to 40Mb/s in the future. Is this marketing nonsense? I'm currently out of contract on a breeze 2Mb connection and would like to upgrade to something faster. They want a new 12 month contract to upgrade me to the 4Mb service which I am not going to do if something much faster will be available to me soon. Although being in Wicklow, I assume it'll be a long time before any IBB network upgrade gets that far so maybe I should lump the new 12 month contract.

• Advertisement

On the current IBB/Imagine licences 40Mbps is fantasy. Even 10Mbps at any reasonable customer base is fantasy.

Metro on 10GHz, in terms of Mbps per MHz is the most efficient system there is. It can deliver close to 100Mbps total on all channels in a ComReg single Licence Allocation. The spectrum to do this simply doesn't exist at 3.6GHZ FWA. IBB/Imagine has some, but not a lot of 10GHz allocations.

At the number of customers a Mast needs to be viable, most of the packages need to be 2Mbps to 4MBps. Maybe some 7 to 10Mbps packages, but very few. Try selling any quantity of 10Mbps (or 40MBps) packages and peak time speed will fall to about 6Mbps!

Even one 40Mbps package will suffer contention horribly.

So, yes without a massive nationwide increase in IBB/Imagine using currently non-existent spectrum this is Marketing hype.

Like LTE 100Mbps. On LTE that is a peak speed for 5% of the sector near mast. Cell edge would be possibly as low as 1Mbps. Shared average Sector throughput maybe 8Mbps. So if you had 20 simultaneous downloads on 100Mbps LTE you might get 400kbps. However current 3G/HSPA in same scenario is only 40kbps! Typically to make LTE economical they need about 1,800 total customers on a mast, or 600 per sector, on average, of course not all are online at once (maybe 1/4 at peak time if sold as fixed "Broadband" and of those "online" most may be reading a web page) so with LTE you can have about 1/30th of your customer base watching YouTube at same time.

Without a full technical specification, channel size, number of customers etc, any press releases about Roll outs are fairly meaningless. Just read Three's about the NBS :(

Cap is used to control contention on Wireless. If you calculate percent of your 30 days you can be online at fulll package speed at the 5G/10G/30G or whatever cap. I think 160G byte (far more than any wireless operator will allow would be 250kbps down + 250kbps up 24x7). Some DSL, Cable and Fibre packages will let you have that.

You can see why a rolling 30 days cap rather than calendar Monthly cap benefits the customers in reduced contention at start/end of month.

Advertisement