Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate Advise needed

Options
  • 05-08-2009 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have some queries that I believe can be answered on this forum.

I am going for a MBS prog. this september, I would also like to subsequently go for either MPhil or Phd next year.I have 3 questions from those who have knowledge or experience in these area.

1.I have not made up my mind on whether to go for the MPhil or for the doctorate degree.Ideally I would prefare to do a Phd but I am just terrified that I would be too old and most probably in penury by the time I finish the programme.That is why I am considering the MPhil which could be completed in less time.What do folks think,is it sensible to go all the way to a Phd or just the Mphil.

2.Assuming I decide to go for the Mphil and successfully complete it in 2 years.If I want to go a Phd in the same research area in future ,can my Mphil to be taken into consideration in the form of transfer credits and maybe lesser time to complete or do I have to start all over from the beginning.

3.I want to know if there opportunities available for Postgraduate students in Ireland to go for abroad for semester exchange programs.I would like people to share their experiences

Thanks so much for having the fortitude and patience to read all the post.....lol...All responces would be appreciated.

Cheers!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

Thanks everyone for your replies.They have have been so reassuring :o

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

Hi Procure,

Whether you should do the PhD or the MPhil is really up to you - how much you like the research and are good at it, and what you hope to get out of it at the end. If it's for career reasons, will the PhD help you considerably more than the MPhil? Really you have to think about these things yourself as it's a personal decision and other people might choose differently based on different circumstances.

It normally is possible to transfer from a research masters to a PhD but this depends on the course and university, so I'd ask them directly. I'd say the best course of action is to register for the MPhil first and then f you find you want to continue after a few months, see about transferring to the PhD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

Hi Procure,

Whether you should do the PhD or the MPhil is really up to you - how much you like the research and are good at it, and what you hope to get out of it at the end. If it's for career reasons, will the PhD help you considerably more than the MPhil? Really you have to think about these things yourself as it's a personal decision and other people might choose differently based on different circumstances.

It normally is possible to transfer from a research masters to a PhD but this depends on the course and university, so I'd ask them directly. I'd say the best course of action is to register for the MPhil first and then f you find you want to continue after a few months, see about transferring to the PhD.

Cheers for that Esmereldina.

I have decided to go via the MPhil route and give the Phd a shot if all goes well.I guess it would all depend on my relationship with my supervisor and if my intended thesis is acceptable enough.
    Thanks.

Advertisement