Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best up to date C# book

Options
  • 05-08-2009 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm a VB .NET programmer been at .NET for 5 ish years, and was a VB 3 - 6 developer for 8 years before that. I've done C# in the past but it's been about three quarters VB and it's been a while since I've looked at C#.

I'm going on hols at the weekend and I want to take a bit of time to brush up on the C# side of things and have something to read on the beach. I'm looking for a good C# book that has recent stuff like generics, partial classes, up to date security, etc. Ideally something that goes into a medium to high level of detail, rather than a book that just touches on different topics.

I'm heading away on Friday so will need to get it tomoroow, so ideally one that's available in Dublin bookshops.

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

C# 2008 and the .Net 3.5 Platform. Published by APress. Although soon there'll be C# 2010 and the .Net 4.0 Platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

O'Reilly range are always a good bet - Jesse Liberty's Programming C# seems pretty good (I have an earlier edition);
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780596527433/Programming-C-3.0

I haven't tried the C# entry in this series, but I use the ASP.NET Unleashed book quite a lot as a reference, seems good.
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780672329814/C-3.0-Unleashed

Hodges Figgis on Dawson St have a pretty big range of tech books, you should find the above or similar there. Bear in mind you'll usually pay a fair bit more than from online UK folks, but if you're in a hurry, it's a good bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Dino Espinitos book on C# 3.5 is pretty good, if a bit dry. Being honest if you are VB.NET dev already, most of this stuff should be ok for you. You just gotta learn the syntax. I came from the same background and migrated to C# in just under a month.

Advertisement