Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IKEA Cafe/Restaurant

• 05-08-2009 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have just been in the restaurant of the new IKEA in Ballymun. The prices in their cafe were exceptionally cheap. See below examples. As far as I know, these prices are not promotional. At the moment, the queues are exceptionally long however this might change after the buzz of it's opening dies down a bit. If you're peckish on the way to the airport, it might be worth a look.

Coffee €1
    Pastries/Cakes €1
    Hot Dogs €1 (or €1.50, not sure).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

And a one hour queue to get in, should sell them at the gate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭the corpo

jaysis, one hour queues? all day long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Do you have to make/bake/cook them yourself? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

trad wrote: »
    And a one hour queue to get in, should sell them at the gate

Sinner . Thats not true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I heard there was bedlam there on the bank holiday.

I was there opening day and it took about 20 mins from the end of the queue to the car park entrance (just dropping off) So a cuppa and a bun would have been nice in the queue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭rubicon99

BVB wrote: »
    Sinner . Thats not true

Hi guys, i'm from Sweden but living here since 2 years. Im soo happy about Ikea (mostly food market). They have a fast food shop opposite the tills and i bought:
    Meal deal

Hot dog (50 grams) in a bun
    Chips
    Soft drink (coke, diet coke etc.) with unlimited refils
    large hot dog (100 grams) in a bun
    Ketchup and mustard is free

Pay in total: 3 Euro :)

Regular hod dog is only 50 cent.

Funfact. Hotdog in Ikea in Sweden is about 45 cent with current Euro coversion, and has been since I rember it about 20 years or so. The owner (Kamprad) has been getting a lot of **** from stakeholder for years to increase the price for hot dogs as they are actually losing money on them, but he just refuses to do that. hope he lives a very long life :)

And dont forget to buy Swdish cheese, they got few ones in the food market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

rubicon99 wrote: »
    And dont forget to buy Swdish cheese, they got few ones in the food market.

And Anna's gingerbread biscuits, and Marabou chocolate, and Julmust drink if they have it. I love Swedish food :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I bought two bags of the mini cinnamon rolls last week, my god they are delicious! and the little marzipan tarts are lovely too. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Don't know the prices as I've not visited Dublin Ikea yet but breakfasts there are fantastic value too. Free refills on Tea and Coffee too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

herya wrote: »
    And Anna's gingerbread biscuits, and Marabou chocolate, and Julmust drink if they have it. I love Swedish food :D

Marabou is the greatest choclate ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Marabou is the greatest choclate ever

Hell yes....

Especially if you keep it in the freezer.

Mmmmmmarabou

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

I was there yesterday at 11.30. Madness. Too many people, too hot, too many whingey kids. Why do people bring kids to such a large place? They get bored and cry/run around/annoy people. Leave them at home or stick em in the kids pen. :mad:

Having said that I do love Ikea (my partner is Swedish!). Particularly liked their food market and was miffed to see that their prices are about the same as they are in Sweden (having just returned from there with a bagful of food which I could have bought in Ikea!) Having spent two hours in the shop with my elderly mother decided to go to the restaurant for a break. Mistake. The line was huge. Half the country seemed to be eating there. Decided to leave instead if only we could find the exit! Security guard gave us a bum steer and sent us to the wrong lift so we were going around in circles. This shop is to be avoided by those who suffer from high blood pressure! Finally managed to get to the car park. It was quite an ordeal and one which I shall not repeat for a few months until all the skangers have their gaffs kitted out!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tertials

Those "Knackis" crackers are delish, especially with the mustard and cheese sold there. Very cheap too smile.gif

Agree about the kids - an effin nightmare, screaming and throwing things around :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

won't go near it for at least 6 months, when crimbo & jan sales are over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭matchthis

Just checked the coffee table i got their as it was a bit shakey. One of the legs was a swiss roll! Didn't know the did food too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

I was there today, arrived about 3 and got parking near the entrance, didn't find it too crazy at all. Busy, but grand. Only had to wait at the checkout about 3 mins. Didn't get any of the food but looks great, will definitely be back!

Left around 6 and thought the traffic getting onto the M50 would be mad, but was grand. It was supposed to have been mental over the bank hol wkend, but what did people expect??

I agree about the children though, what are people thinking bringing kids around a place like Ikea. Leave them at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

If you sign up for their membership card you get tea / coffee free in the main restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭JamesTaylorfan

The thing I hate about IKEA is the crowd being herded around in one direction like an asylum health inspector or something.
    That unidirectional procession really embarrasses me for some reason as if I'm being micro-managed.....Grrrrrrrrr.
    I know you can buck the norm if you want to and head off in circles if that's what you feel like doing but you don't....you find yourself
    conforming to the apparent norm and keeping with the herd.

I'm a bad machine !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The thing I hate about IKEA is the crowd being herded around in one direction like an asylum health inspector or something.
    That unidirectional procession really embarrasses me for some reason as if I'm being micro-managed.....Grrrrrrrrr.
    I know you can buck the norm if you want to and head off in circles if that's what you feel like doing but you don't....you find yourself
    conforming to the apparent norm and keeping with the herd.

I'm a bad machine !

I don't know about in Dublin, but there are short-cuts if you look for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

atgate wrote: »
    If you sign up for their membership card you get tea / coffee free in the main restaurant.

Yes, but only on weekdays. However, you don't even need to join - just pick up one of the IKEA Family forms.
    They have a temporary card inside so you can get your free cuppa straight away without filling anything in..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭eliza64

greendom wrote: »
    I don't know about in Dublin, but there are short-cuts if you look for them
    LOL you make it sound like a computer game. I thought they only sold furniture, food sounds good thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Especially if you keep it in the freezer.

Mmmmmmarabou

Quoted for truth

• Registered Users Posts: 34 edgars

kids playcenter a joke only 12 children aloud in every 90 minutes a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I saw the price list of the food and it seems to be great. I couldnt believe the value when I was up there in Belfast.

I don't know why people are surprised with the queues at the minute. It's a brand new huge shop, it's good value, it's WELL STOCKED, and it does very cheap very tasty food.

Looking forward to visiting there in the next month or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Ollchailin wrote: »
    I was there today, arrived about 3 and got parking near the entrance, didn't find it too crazy at all. Busy, but grand. Only had to wait at the checkout about 3 mins. Didn't get any of the food but looks great, will definitely be back!

Left around 6 and thought the traffic getting onto the M50 would be mad, but was grand. It was supposed to have been mental over the bank hol wkend, but what did people expect??

I agree about the children though, what are people thinking bringing kids around a place like Ikea. Leave them at home.

Yeah...well said....lets leave the kids at home....they are a nuisance anyway.....in fact, lets just stop having them altogether and then we could all enjoy shopping experiences in peace and quiet.....

Eh Hello ??????:confused::confused::confused:
    Knock..Knock...Anyone in there ????

I've read some seriously brain dead remarks in this forum but that one has got to take the biscuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

http://www.themorningnews.org/archives/how_to/the_nonexpert_ikea.php

for anyone one that's been read this, it's very funny! :D

And of course it was bedlem on Monday, sure anyone left in the city had the same idea "oh it's been open a week now and i'ts probably died down and sure most people are down the country this weekend and sure I'm off work...."

We went up at 11, got parking no problem (and got car washed) and took about 5 mins to get inside left at about 12.30 and it was really heating up then. At one point we went back to look at something at because it's a one way system in there, I felt like a salmon swimming upstream. We left cos there were too many people and you could walk around commfortably and by that time the traffic was backed up down the M50 ramp

claiva wrote: »
    Yeah...well said....lets leave the kids at home....they are a nuisance anyway.....in fact, lets just stop having them altogether and then we could all enjoy shopping experiences in peace and quiet.....

I've read some seriously brain dead remarks in this forum but that one has got to take the biscuit.

If you prefer to drag your kids through the miles of IKEA store route and let them scream their heads off in the process than I'm afraid yours takes the biscuit.

If you prefer to drag your kids through the miles of IKEA store route and let them scream their heads off in the process than I'm afraid yours takes the biscuit.

FYI - My children are frequently brought to public places and they do not "scream their heads off"......
    I do not fill them up with sugar when we are out unlike the creamers who for some reason think that giving their children sweets will keep them quiet, when in fact, it does the opposite.

I brought my kids to Ikea last week because I wanted to go there. Sure, they were excited by the place as its a colourful and tactile environment, but at no point did they "scream their heads off" or make somebody elses experience an uncomfortable one.

My point is that not ALL children behave badly in public places and its not the children who should be excluded from these places anyway it's their irresponsible parents that have allowed their children to become unruly.

You know the ones I mean, the kids that are completely clad in sportswear (even though they are bordering on clinical obesity), have obviously never been touched by sun screen and have spiky hair and diamond ear rings before they are 4.

Perhaps when you become a parent you will understand what life is really about mate, because clearly you currently do not.
    Kids are here to stay, get used to it.

• Advertisement

No parent will admit their kids are noisy or messy will they? And I can't believe how judgmental you are re: "kids types" - newsflash: designer clad kids brought in 09 SUVs scream too.

IKEA stores are by definition huge labyrinths - even bigger for small feet - and no wonder kids are complaining if parents bring them there, make them walk miles then wait when they measure their coveted kitchen presses.

The only place for kids in IKEA is kids playcenter, at a stretch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

edgars wrote: »
    kids playcenter a joke only 12 children aloud in every 90 minutes a joke

They don't have unlimited staff you know.

There are regulations as to how many children one adult can be responsible for.

My mother is the manager of the Creche in Ikea, I'll pass on this message to her.

Also. Ikea don't directly employ the Creche staff.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

No parent will admit their kids are noisy or messy will they? And I can't believe how judgmental you are re: "kids types" - newsflash: designer clad kids brought in 09 SUVs scream too.

IKEA stores are by definition huge labyrinths - even bigger for small feet - and no wonder kids are complaining if parents bring them there, make them walk miles then wait when they measure their coveted kitchen presses.

The only place for kids in IKEA is kids playcenter, at a stretch.

I bring me kids (4 girls under 6) almost everywhere. Part of growing up is learning to behave appropriately in public. Besides, what the feck am I supposed to do with them if I need to go somewhere where child disapproving singletons co-mingle with people with kids. Is there some unknown grant or secret free child minding facility that I'm unaware of?
    Ikea is a furniture shop, not a strip club, of course it's a place for families. Kids, parents, families and single people come in all shapes, sizes and types of behavior. Your statement "The only place for kids in IKEA is kids playcenter, at a stretch." is, without being rude, a tad on the daft side. Maybe you would be better suited to keeping your visits limited to www.ikea.ie, if you don't like kids in furniture shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Take the discussion to AH :rolleyes:

Anyway, the cafe looks brilliant. You don't have to buy any furniture to go there? Legend. I can go there for lunch on the way home from college

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

Can i take a sidestep from the kiddies debate and ask how much parking is guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

sorry all, for dragging thread off topic :o

• Advertisement

I don't want to go too off topic, but what I was trying to say was that somewhere like Ikea can be a bit overwhelming for some children (and adults), and I saw many kids yesterday that were crying, shouting, jumping on the furniture, picking up breakables and generally upset. I'm not saying ALL children are like that, and of course you chould be able to bring your children on shopping trips- but what I said was somewhere LIKE Ikea is not the best place for them, particularly at this busy time there.

I don't have a problem with children, and agree that bringing them out for the day is very beneficial- but if children aren't enjoying the day out in Ikea (going by the screams and tears evident yesterday), or if indeed their parents are not enjoying having to look after them there (going by the stressed appearance of some parents I saw) then maybe it is best to leave them at home, to be fair to everyone.

By the way, back on the topic regarding the food- the food section is separate to all the rest of their stuff so it's very handy if people don't want to wade through all the people browsing furniture etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

According to ikea.ie:

"Parking Information
    Mon - Fri: 11am to 4pm - Free
    Mon - Fri: 4pm to 8pm - €3
    Saturday: 10am to 8pm - Free
    Sunday: 11am to 7pm - Free"

From what I could make out, there's no fee for parking at the moment although there are pay machines that don't seem to be set up yet. I could be wrong on this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

Thanks

I don't want to go too off topic, but what I was trying to say was that somewhere like Ikea can be a bit overwhelming for some children (and adults), and I saw many kids yesterday that were crying, shouting, jumping on the furniture, picking up breakables and generally upset. I'm not saying ALL children are like that, and of course you chould be able to bring your children on shopping trips- but what I said was somewhere LIKE Ikea is not the best place for them, particularly at this busy time there.

I don't have a problem with children, and agree that bringing them out for the day is very beneficial- but if children aren't enjoying the day out in Ikea (going by the screams and tears evident yesterday), or if indeed their parents are not enjoying having to look after them there (going by the stressed appearance of some parents I saw) then maybe it is best to leave them at home, to be fair to everyone.

By the way, back on the topic regarding the food- the food section is separate to all the rest of their stuff so it's very handy if people don't want to wade through all the people browsing furniture etc.

Oh..Ok then. Fair enough.
    Sorry for saying your comments were brain dead btw :(

Bit tired as my 2 year old decided the whole road should be awake at 6am this morning !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Oh..Ok then. Fair enough.
    Sorry for saying your comments were brain dead btw :(

Bit tired as my 2 year old decided the whole road should be awake at 6am this morning !!

Point proven! :P
    From what I could make out, there's no fee for parking at the moment although there are pay machines that don't seem to be set up yet. I could be wrong on this though.

Spot on. I saw the same thing last weekend. AFAIK the pay-parking was a condition imposed by Dublin City Council as part of their planning requirements. It is intended to discourage large numbers of customers heading for IKEA (and possibly causing traffic problems) during the specified times:
    Parking Information
    Mon - Fri: 11am to 4pm - Free
    Mon - Fri: 4pm to 8pm - €3
    Saturday: 10am to 8pm - Free
    Sunday: 11am to 7pm - Free

i.e. rush hour traffic. Isn't this just until the M50 ungrade works are finished? Open to correction on this.....

Isn't that also why they can't open for business until 11am Mon - Fri?

You've just said what I wanted to say in a much more civilised and thoughtful manner :) I've seen scenes like this too and that's why I think that particularly IKEA is not recommended for kids as it's so large and busy.

/offtopic

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

FYI - My children are frequently brought to public places and they do not "scream their heads off"......
    I do not fill them up with sugar when we are out unlike the creamers who for some reason think that giving their children sweets will keep them quiet, when in fact, it does the opposite.

I brought my kids to Ikea last week because I wanted to go there. Sure, they were excited by the place as its a colourful and tactile environment, but at no point did they "scream their heads off" or make somebody elses experience an uncomfortable one.

My point is that not ALL children behave badly in public places and its not the children who should be excluded from these places anyway it's their irresponsible parents that have allowed their children to become unruly.

You know the ones I mean, the kids that are completely clad in sportswear (even though they are bordering on clinical obesity), have obviously never been touched by sun screen and have spiky hair and diamond ear rings before they are 4.

Perhaps when you become a parent you will understand what life is really about mate, because clearly you currently do not.
    Kids are here to stay, get used to it.

NO no no, kids should be left at home. They are really a nuisance when they get to public places. I am so fed up of kids around and in every shopping centres. If the parents can't look after them, don't make any more babies.

Point proven! :P

Hee hee......
    Hook....Line.....and sinker......

Ho hum.....
    Who's next ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

If the parents can't look after them, don't make any more babies.

Way to go, depopulate and save the Earth :rolleyes:. I presume Ikea at this stage (being a massive global player and all) would have a decent company strategy to deal with children. Maybe the play area in Dublin isn't big enough to cope with the crowds at the moment? Children going into shops with their parents is a fact of life, deal with it.

EDIT: Is there not an Ikea superthread by now to deal with this type of discussion? They should have their own sub-forum to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Quick question - how do the prices in Ikea Dublin compare with those in Ikea Belfast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

benifa wrote: »
    Quick question - how do the prices in Ikea Dublin compare with those in Ikea Belfast?
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/house-home/belfast-ikea-has-an-edge-on-price-over-dublin-store-14424926.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Someone wrote the code to find out:
    http://dejavu6.ucd.ie/2009/07/29/rip-off-ireland-a-tale-of-12-ikea-stores/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

http://www.cataloguecompare.com/

If you are interested in a particular item in Ikea and know the catalogue number you can enter it on the above site and get the price for it in the Irish Republic Ikea and the price for the same item in Ikea in the UK/NI. It works for Argos too.

As far as I know the site was made by Viking on boards.ie so kudos to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

You do know that IKEA is a furniture shop? It is not a playground for children.......

Do the kids a favour....take them to the zoo

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement