Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Vaio - Eircom Broadband problem - Can anyone help?

Options
  • 05-08-2009 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I've just bought a Sony Vaio NS20 E/S laptop but can't get it to connect to my eircom wireless broadband even though I've connected my iphone with no problems. The laptop sees the wireless network and reports that the signal is excellent but won't connect. Diagnostics say "Wireless association failed because Windows did not receive any response from the wireless router or access point".

I've tried googling for possible solutions and got a few ideas but I'm not very techie and they haven't worked.

The router is Netopia 2247NWG. It is set to limit wireless access by Mac address and I've added the Mac address for the Sony. I've also changed the default channel from 7 to 11 (which someone suggested on the one of the boards I've been reading). The frmware on the router is 7.7.0r3.

The laptop is running Windows Vista Home Premium. The pc that the router is connected to is running Windows XP home.

I tried plugging the router directly into the laptop and it connected fine which I guess means the problem is the wireless. I'm not sure what else to try short of permanently plugging a cable into the laptop which kind of defeats the purpose I bought it for !!!

If anyone's had a similar problem I'd love to know how you resolved it? And any other suggestions on what I could try to fix the problem also appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

moved to wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I'd try get new WIFI drivers first.
    The router is Netopia 2247NWG. It is set to limit wireless access by Mac address and I've added the Mac address for the Sony.

If drivers dont work I'd remove that ^^ feature temporarily so it would allow any device/MAC address.

If that didn't work, I'd temporarily remove the SSID so that the network would be open.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Turn off the mac restriction for the moment and if that doesnt work try the laptop in another wireless situation and see if it works there ok.

Did you try turning off any firewall that might be on the Sony?

You could also try changing the wireless channel again.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭maidofthemist

thanks so much for those tips - i disabled the wireless mac authorisation and the laptop connected up fine. Reallly appreciated. Many thanks.

Advertisement