Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Application date, can we clarify it please.

Options
  • 05-08-2009 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

So, mine, like many others is up on 31/10/09.

The paragraph in the letter reads;

"Up to 3 months prior to the expiry date of this extension, if you wish a new application to be considered for your firearm, you must apply for a firearm certificate in accordance with the provisions of Section 3 of the Firearms Act 1925 as substituted."

When exactly please, because the 31st of July is long past and they did not have enough info out in the public domain IMO to apply then.

I think a lot of people are confused by that paragraph.

ATB,

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Up to 3 months prior - implies (to me anyway) - any time from day one to 3 months working backwards from 30th October. However - this could mean that people may be out of licence cover if you leave it too close to 31st October - well you know how long it takes for paperwork to go through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

johngalway wrote: »
    So, mine, like many others is up on 31/10/09.

The paragraph in the letter reads;

"Up to 3 months prior to the expiry date of this extension, if you wish a new application to be considered for your firearm, you must apply for a firearm certificate in accordance with the provisions of Section 3 of the Firearms Act 1925 as substituted."

When exactly please, because the 31st of July is long past and they did not have enough info out in the public domain IMO to apply then.

I think a lot of people are confused by that paragraph.

ATB,

John
    I would be making my application now john if i recieved that extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

The wording is not great on the letter. The Gardai don't want you applying now if your cert has been extended to next May or June or whatever as they need to space out the 3 year licences - otherwise we are going to end up with a whole load of "renewals" in three years time, which kind of defeats the whole point!
    On the other hand, the Super has up to 3 months on which to decide on whether or not you get your licence, so if you leave it too close to the date, you end up in a "limbo", where you are waiting on a decision and your current licence has expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I would be making my application now john if i recieved that extension.
    I did get that extension; I'll be applying soon allright, but I'm holding off for a few days until the new SI's and the Commissioner's guidelines are published.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

That would be my thinking also Sparks.

Just filling in some of the details on my own forms at the moment.

Sooner rather than later seems to be the consensus so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

As soon as possible, but not before all the information you need is available.

Hopefully that will be within the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Im in the same boat as you john re date, am getting some passport pics done tomorrow and will fill out the paperwork the weekend. Aim to pop into the local garda station early next week and see what they say. Its very much a grey area on both sides and id say we will be the guinea pigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Sparks wrote: »
    I did get that extension; I'll be applying soon allright, but I'm holding off for a few days until the new SI's and the Commissioner's guidelines are published.[/quote

Only for boards lads I would not have any idea on what is going on at all. Great place for the auld info its got to be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

+1 with RH77.

Thanks to all who kept us informed:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Thanks for the info guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I did get that extension; I'll be applying soon allright, but I'm holding off for a few days until the new SI's and the Commissioner's guidelines are published.[/quote

Only for boards lads I would not have any idea on what is going on at all. Great place for the auld info its got to be said.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Other bit of news..If your local Garda who handles the FAC hasnt done the PULSE course on how to enter this info.NOTHING will happen in your station!! Your application will sit there until somone is qualified to enter the info.My lad is off to do it tonight apprently.And BTW this course is only on entering the information..Nothing else,no explanation of the various questions or scenarios that migt arise on this.He was actually amazed that I had the form or had any info on it as well.
    So how all these forms in the first group shall be re applied for if somone isnt checked out to the PULSE will be intresting.

RUMOUR....So treat as such..If you have had the liscense for an[unspecified] time,irrespective of what it is,it should be re granted with no trouble.
    Isnt it intresting too..That most of us who post here are suddenly in the first to renew group????Coincidence of course....:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Isnt it intresting too..That most of us who post here are suddenly in the first to renew group????Coincidence of course....:rolleyes:
    No, we all have too many restricted firearms, or firearms that have been deemed to be restricted until proven otherwise.

But yes, I'll go with the conspiracy theory. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Other bit of news..If your local Garda who handles the FAC hasnt done the PULSE course on how to enter this info.NOTHING will happen in your station!! Your application will sit there until somone is qualified to enter the info.My lad is off to do it tonight apprently.And BTW this course is only on entering the information..Nothing else,no explanation of the various questions or scenarios that migt arise on this.He was actually amazed that I had the form or had any info on it as well.
    So how all these forms in the first group shall be re applied for if somone isnt checked out to the PULSE will be intresting.
    Was in station earlier,was informed that there is actually no such thing as a Garda FO anymore,all Guards will be qualified to submit apps etc and all ready to handle apps-- in my local station at least
    Also said that i can apply anytime within the three months on my extension(when i complained about not having 3months as ext arrived a couple days into the 3mth period) but couldnt tell me what i'm to do if i dont recieve my licence before ext period runs out
    TUPIZM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

I did get that extension; I'll be applying soon allright, but I'm holding off for a few days until the new SI's and the Commissioner's guidelines are published.

sparks can u elaborate on that ?
    what difference will holding off make ?

endasmail wrote: »
    sparks can u elaborate on that ?
    what difference will holding off make ?
    We might know more when the Commisioner's guidelines are published. They are supposed to help with applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Meyer

Mine are up on the 31/10...I was told today to come back mid-September :eek: and it should only take a month! Why have I that awful feeling that that won't happen?

sent my applications back in today
    c wot happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭BOG FLY

Hi ALL,

Went over to my Gada station yesterday to hand in my paper work for my firearms and was informed that my firearms officer is on holiday till the 15 of August.
    When I enquired if anyone could help me go through my paper work to make sure it was all present and correct and that my security is to minamun standards etc, I was informed, that there was no officer available to help me and that my firearms officer was the only one who could do this with me.

I explained to the Garda at the desk I needed to get my application in asap as I had to apply to Surrey police to get my UK PERMIT renewed so I could travel to the European f-class Champtionships in Bisley which happens to be on the 30 October to 1 November which is when my firearms extension expires.

I tried to explain to the Garda at the desk that The police in Surrey take up to 6 weeks to process an application, he did not want to know.
    His reply was "come back on the 15 August there is no one here to help you" This station is open 24hours a day, 7 days a week and has approx 30 to 40 officers stationed there!!. :mad:
    So I must wait till my firearms officer returns from Hols.....delay, and more delay.

On the notice board in the station there is a poster explaining somthing about service to the community by our Garda Siochana.:confused:

BOG FLY wrote: »
    Hi ALL,

Went over to my Gada station yesterday to hand in my paper work for my firearms and was informed that my firearms officer is on holiday till the 15 of August.
    When I enquired if anyone could help me go through my paper work to make sure it was all present and correct and that my security is to minamun standards etc, I was informed, that there was no officer available to help me and that my firearms officer was the only one who could do this with me.

I explained to the Garda at the desk I needed to get my application in asap as I had to apply to Surrey police to get my UK PERMIT renewed so I could travel to the European f-class Champtionships in Bisley which happens to be on the 30 October to 1 November which is when my firearms extension expires.

I tried to explain to the Garda at the desk that The police in Surrey take up to 6 weeks to process an application, he did not want to know.
    His reply was "come back on the 15 August there is no one here to help you" This station is open 24hours a day, 7 days a week and has approx 30 to 40 officers stationed there!!. :mad:
    So I must wait till my firearms officer returns from Hols.....delay, and more delay.

On the notice board in the station there is a poster explaining somthing about service to the community by our Garda Siochana.:confused:

try going in again and asking for a saergant,or someone with a bit of a rank ,they should be able to help ya out

• Advertisement

Hi ALL,

Go to your district office and apply to your district Superintendent.

For assistance have a read of the threads here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭BOG FLY

Hi Endasmail,

In the course of the conversation I did ask if the Superintendent could help.
    I was told he could not help me either, strange that because I though he would have the ultimate decision.
    Realisticly I do not expect or need the Superintnedent to help me process a form.

I believe that the Garda that meet me is ANTI FIREARM or was having a really bad day.
    I am making this assumption on a comment he made at the begining of the conversation when he was looking at my paper work......"What war was I going to". I would like to believe that this was a throw away comment because he was having a bad day.

But I will try again and this time make note of the name amd number of the officer I am speaking with.

Hi Endasmail,

In the course of the conversation I did ask if the Superintendent could help.
    I was told he could not help me either, strange that because I though he would have the ultimate decision.
    Realisticly I do not expect or need the Superintnedent to help me process a form.
    This isn't about help, but about making your application. If you need help with the form, have a look around here, there's lots of stuff about filling in the form and if it's really difficult you can ask. The point about the Superintendent is that Section 3 of the firearms acts says:
    Application for a firearm certificate (other than a restricted firearm certificate) shall be made to the superintendent of the Garda Síochána of the district in which the applicant resides.

So that's who you apply to and if your own FO won't take it you go to the district office and hand it in there.

But forget about getting help from your Garda Station, they don't have the guidelines either and don't have time to be walking everyone through the form.

[

But forget about getting help from your Garda Station, they don't have the guidelines either and don't have time to be walking everyone through the form.[/quote]

dont no if your entirely correct there ,i was told by the garda that was helping me with mine that the sergant was away on tues,doing some kind of course in relation to the firearm renewals ,so im sure that some of them would have a good idea and how to help fill out the form

bog fly id say ya just caught the garda on a bad day
    go back when a different garda on

dont no if your entirely correct there ,i was told by the garda that was helping me with mine that the sergant was away on tues,doing some kind of course in relation to the firearm renewals ,so im sure that some of them would have a good idea and how to help fill out the form

bog fly id say ya just caught the garda on a bad day
    go back when a different garda on
    The point I'm making enda, is that you can't expect your Garda to help you through the form. You might get the guy who's done the course and if so great, but you might not, and walking in with expectations when they may not be fulfilled is going to be frustrating for everyone concerned.

So do your own research first. You may be in a position to assist the Garda so that the next guy in gets the benefit.

rrpc wrote: »
    The point I'm making enda, is that you can't expect your Garda to help you through the form. You might get the guy who's done the course and if so great, but you might not, and walking in with expectations when they may not be fulfilled is going to be frustrating for everyone concerned.

So do your own research first. You may be in a position to assist the Garda so that the next guy in gets the benefit.

no one expecting anything rrpc.
    nothing wrong with asking for a bit of help ,some of the gards im sure wouldnt mind giving ya a dig out

no one expecting anything rrpc.
    nothing wrong with asking for a bit of help ,some of the gards im sure wouldnt mind giving ya a dig out
    You weren't enda, but BOGFLY was and was disappointed. My advice was to check out the stuff here to avoid disappointment.

Advertisement