Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA Sports Cup Final at the RSC

• 05-08-2009 8:22pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The FAI have today confirmed that the EA Sports Cup Final between Waterford United and Bohemians will indeed take place at the RSC on September 26th.

The Blues booked their place in the final last night with a superb 3-1 victory over UCD at the Belfield Bowl, and following discussions with both United and Bohemians, it was confirmed that the Waterford venue would host the event. This will be the first major final ever to take place at the RSC, and it also marks the Blues first appearance in a national final since the FAI Cup in 2004, and their first time to reach the League Cup final since 1985, when they lifted the trophy courtesy of a 2-1 win over Finn Harps.

Waterford and Bohemians will be competing for what is the first domestic trophy of 2009, but also for a prize fund of €15000, and a guaranteed place in the 2010/11 Setanta Cup. There is no place in the Setanta tournament for the beaten finalists.

Kick-off time for the match is as yet to be confirmed, as are the ticket arrangements. Details will follow as soon as they have been agreed.

Source: http://waterford-united.ie/tp_news/ea-sports-cup-final-at-the-rsc/

Great to see another Waterford sporting team doing well. Hopefully the final will be good for Waterford, should have the town buzzing and be good for tourism!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Fair play to them for getting through, but unfortunately, for some reason (when you think about how full the pubs are for soccer matches) local soccer is not very well supported in this town. Even when they got to the FAI cup final a couple of years ago...there was very little interest about the town...no blue and white flags...no bunting etc...it's very strange. People may say it's because it's not an Irish game...but when the Irish National team go places, there's flags and bunting in every housing estate in the town. Every other county gets behind their local soccer team...why don't we??

(Quick memory....going to see the blues in kilcohan park years ago and passing my father's season ticket through the fence for the brother to use)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

nice touch from bohs to agree to travel down to waterford for the final for old sakes times it would be cool to play it in kilcohan park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Fair play to them for getting through, but unfortunately, for some reason (when you think about how full the pubs are for soccer matches) local soccer is not very well supported in this town. Even when they got to the FAI cup final a couple of years ago...there was very little interest about the town...no blue and white flags...no bunting etc...it's very strange. People may say it's because it's not an Irish game...but when the Irish National team go places, there's flags and bunting in every housing estate in the town. Every other county gets behind their local soccer team...why don't we??

(Quick memory....going to see the blues in kilcohan park years ago and passing my father's season ticket through the fence for the brother to use)

I think its not supported basically because the standard is far below that of our neighbours and sure isn't it great to spend €50 on our liverpool/utd jersey and call ourselfs supporters. I went to Waterford Utd Matches for years but I had to give it up when started working in retail cause had to work the fridays.

LOL I remember doing that with the season tickets too.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

As a Fan it's fantastic for the club to qualify for a national final...
    It was great to see about 200 fans made the trip to UCD the other night and the atmosphere was electric...
    If we can't pack out the rSC for this we may as well give up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

ziedth wrote: »
    I went to Waterford Utd Matches for years but I had to give it up when started working in retail cause had to work the fridays.
    Games are on Saturdays now. :)
    Bluezar wrote: »
    It was great to see about 200 fans made the trip to UCD the other night and the atmosphere was electric...
    If we can't pack out the rSC for this we may as well give up!
    Yeah brilliant atmosphere up there...
    I agree with you...we have to fill the RSC for this.
    It was fairly annoying to see 4,000+ there for the Ipswich friendly one week, but only about 500 at the next league game. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Well done sully on starting the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I might go to this myself, don't normally bother with soccer in Waterford but sure you have to show your face for finals and the like, especially if I can blag a free ticket somewhere.

Anyone know of any bandwagon departing from a city centre pub so I don't miss that days Premiership action?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

decies wrote: »
    Well done sully on starting the thread.

Erm... is that sarcasm or are you genuine?! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

if bohs win the league and if they beat waterford in the ea cup final will waterford get into the setanta cup then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

..there was very little interest about the town...no blue and white flags...no bunting etc...it's very strange. People may say it's because it's not an Irish game...

The f**n Waterford City Council did not even put up one flag in 2004 for the FAI Cup Final while Longford was awash with colour that week.

As to the league cup final, its a saturday night & as a regular match goer to the RSC I look forward to a close to capacity crowd for a competition we last won in 1985.

Kudos to the lads on a great showing versus UCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Great result for them and hopefully will raise the profile of the club a bit more,i dont get out as much as i should ashamed to say, when i am one who travels cross channel very regularly to watch english and scottish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Sully wrote: »
    Erm... is that sarcasm or are you genuine?! :p

As decies is a regular at the RSC I'd take that as genuine

Advertisement