Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did I really just lose all my photos from Lightroom?!

• 05-08-2009 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

:eek:

I'm posting this hoping someone owns amac and uses Lightroom and might be able to see where I went wrong here and how to get my photos back.

I have a mac, I have Lightroom and I have a USB key.

I wanted the 649 photos from my lightroom to go on my USB key.

This was my first time trying to export photos from LR to a usb key - I'm still new to lightroom.

I put my USB key in my mac, opened up lightroom, held down the cmd button and selected the 15-20 folders which contained my 649 folders.

They were all highlighted so I Right clicked the option ' export photos' and it came up with a box asking where I wanted the photos to go.
    I said the USB key.
    My mac was happy and looked like it exported all the photos and the mini task bar at the top told me 'task completed'.

So i closed down LR - but when I opened the USB folders - it had only exported 5!!! photos.

To look at those 5 photos it asked if I wanted to re-launch LR to see them so I clicked 're-launch'

and now....all thats in my lightroom....are those 5 photos and the other 645 are NOWHERE....

I've closed everything down a few times but it's still those 5 photos of my mum and dad in kilmainham jail!!

any advice obviously gratefully received.

:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I don't have a Mac, but do use Lightroom.

From the sound of things, Lightroom has created a new catalog with just the new images.

Within Lightroom, click File, Open Recent, and you should see a Lightroom Catalog.

It's highly unlikely that you've lost your images. They are still there on your machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

In your library, make sure the toolbar on the left is open, you've probably selected "Previous Import", click the "All photographs" option, or similar, and Bob, will hopefully, be your uncle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Thanks for the advice - Panic over.

I took out the USB key and re-opened LR, it had made the photos on the USB key the default for LR - once that was removed it asked if I wanted to revert to other catalogues in LR - when I said 'yes please' there were all my photos.

The reason it had only exported 5 photos was that I must have right clicked 'export photos' whilst hovering over the folder with only 5 photos in..
    so even though all folders were highlighted it only exported that one.

I'm exporting again now and I right clicked over the 'Lightroom' folder at the top of all my individual photos.

It's still exporting as I type - it seems to be taking forever - I hope it's just exporting the photos and not the whole LR software onto the USB key.

PaulW do you find Lightroom very slow to export?
    If it's this slow I might switch to using Photoshop3 which I've also got.
    Like I said, I'm just starting to use LR so it might be a good idea to swap over to PS3 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It will be slower to export to a USB stick than to your hard disk.

I don't find it slow at all.

Lightroom does over 95% of all I need with photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

How did you fully learn how to use LR?

just by trial and error or did you read up alot about it?

I found this link on quickening up the export on LR if you're interested..

http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blog/2007/03/five_ways_to_speed_up_lightroo.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Just keep on playing with LR and pushing it and yourself to get the results you want - Play around with presets and see how other people get effects, so you can make your own :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

MB Lacey wrote: »
    How did you fully learn how to use LR?

just by trial and error or did you read up alot about it?

I found this link on quickening up the export on LR if you're interested..

http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blog/2007/03/five_ways_to_speed_up_lightroo.html

Those tips refer to a very old version of lightroom, a lot of those tips refer to things you can't even tinker with in the new version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭mervifwdc

I'm a big fan of LR, just wish it had a few extra things - better watermarking when exporting as an option for example.

it's slow on a catalog with anything over 50k images, but I guess that's acceptable.

merv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I don't have lightroom but last year when I was using iphoto the same thing happened. Never got them back. They were still on the computer just not in the software so I was able to get them back.
    I do not use lightroom so I can't be of any help, sorry.
    Hope you get them back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I'm very new to using Lightroom so cannot offer advice.

This might be useful:

http://digital-photography-school.com/warning-dont-make-these-5-mistakes-in-lightroom

It seems that much trouble starts when files are moved.

Hope it gets resolved and that you don't experience further alarms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

For anyone who has not tried Lightroom, one of its most pleasing features is the way one can quickly change highlights or add a selenium or cyanotype toning.

Advertisement