Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Ireland "meant to be poor"?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭rumour

Riskymove wrote: »
    i think you have taken Bob up wrong....its just public sector workers who have no time for their own country, dont want to help their people, blah, blah, blah!

Private sector workers and farmers and so on are, in fact, super-patriots who toil all day long just to give their taxes to the laughing public servants, in fact, they'd like to pay 100% tax, such is the level of their sense of patriotic duty

The public sector are the focus of our current problems, but the whole country is implicit in many other aspects. We are now in the process of blaming the banks for the property problems when two/three years ago people would borrow 10 times their salary and even interest only. When or how on earth did they think they would pay it back? And private investors such as farmers with re-zoned lands (via a corrupt local planning laws) all fuelled this situation supported by corrupt politicians.
    We are not the first country to have made this mistake and needless to say won't be the last, however to get out of it we need to make hard choices.
    Starting with cutting public sector salaries. Current spending is an immediate problem to be faced by the Irish people and there is no easy answer. It is notable in the media how well versed all these institutions are in their sense of entitlement. In my opinion and I think its in the interest of the state better we retain services and retain jobs than doing the complete opposite. To do this our politicians need to act now, what are they doing, they are on holidays!

So again I agree with Irish Bob which doesn't make for a great debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭rumour

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think that politicians in general don't give the impression that they themselves are selflessly devoted to Ireland, so they're not exactly leading by example. This may be down to reality or bad PR.
    Understatement of the year they are on holidays :mad:

Advertisement