Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircon, what a joke, is bt/vodafone/perlico any better?

• 05-08-2009 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Im a week into using eircon's 7mb package and every evening without fail it slows to 1mb or lower, tonight its dialup speed and I've had enough, I don't care what anyone says about contention and *speeds up to* I didn't sign up for dialup. Any vodafone/bt/perlico users experience similar slowdown?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TheDeficit

took 10 mins to run this test

533304406.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 animal79

Hi there i am with eircom and it is the same we are paying good money for nothing:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Thats brutal from a 1meg, let alone a 7 meg. Surely you could tear strips off them for that, or at the very least pull out of the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Do this, then post Your line stats, login to Your router on 192.168.0.254-->click expert mode -->Statistics-->Dsl, paste Your results here

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lol_leo

Perlico are having their problems ATM so wouldnt recommend them either. Ping goes sky high in the evenings

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Do this, then post Your line stats, login to Your router on 192.168.0.254-->click expert mode -->Statistics-->Dsl, paste Your results here

hey these are the results

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 4096 384
    SN Margin (dB) 12.00 18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 44.50 25.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

when i ordered the person on the phone said i could get 7mb but it's never been faster than 3.5mb but like I said it's the evening slowdown that's killing me :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

That's clearly a 4 meg line or router... And what people don't realise is that most of the time the speed decrease is not server side.

Viruses, trojans, malware of any sort, improperly configured settings, no cache, packet loss, upload hogging (Took me a while before i figured that the constant uploading stopped the http requests from being sent and therefore i couldn't download the pages even though my down speed wasn't being used), windows updates, wireless routers losing data or coliding, heavy traffic through the website you're using or even worse, a local dns server.
    I have eircom 12 meg (yes even says so on router) and i've never had an issue with it. I've always got top speed (within a meg or so)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

TheDeficit wrote: »
    hey these are the results

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 4096 384
    SN Margin (dB) 12.00 18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 44.50 25.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

when i ordered the person on the phone said i could get 7mb but it's never been faster than 3.5mb but like I said it's the evening slowdown that's killing me :confused:

I'm afraid You're line isn't capable of anywhere near 7Mbit, this calculator says 5Mbit, but if You're having problems maybe You should downgrade back to 3Mbit for stability

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'm afraid You're line isn't capable of anywhere near 7Mbit, this calculator says 5Mbit, but if You're having problems maybe You should downgrade back to 3Mbit for stability

Thanks for that, I thought when i was signing up that 3mb would be the max speed available since I'm 3km from the exchange but the csr insisted my line was good for 7mb, don't suppose her boss is happier when she signs people up for 7mb :rolleyes:

My connection is rock solid at 3.5mb during the day and doesn't dip at all, that's why i wasn't sure if the evening slowdown was due to my line or contention, I guess I'll give downgrading to 3mb a shot.

also i have some internal wiring leading to an upstairs room, any chance that second socket could be causing trouble?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

I dont know if it will make any difference if you go with an eircom reseller.....where are you living...what options have you got?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm having problems on a 7.6 m/bit line as well. For years my line stats have been rock solid, and nothing has changed. Now my line stats are going from perfect to terrible in a matter of seconds. I'm fairly sure the problem is not on my end...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Praetorian wrote: »
    I'm having problems on a 7.6 m/bit line as well. For years my line stats have been rock solid, and nothing has changed. Now my line stats are going from perfect to terrible in a matter of seconds. I'm fairly sure the problem is not on my end...

What are the stats? Is it only since you got the 7.6 product?

My Stats are usually a rock solid 28 / 10 and I get 7.6 perfectly. Now SNR is dropping to 0 / 2 / 3 and attenuation is going upto 40 / 50. I've been on the 7.6 meg product since it came out

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

My Stats are usually a rock solid 28 / 10 and I get 7.6 perfectly. Now SNR is dropping to 0 / 2 / 3 and attenuation is going upto 40 / 50. I've been on the 7.6 meg product since it came out

That sounds as if the line has been damaged somewhere. Have you checked your filters?

Nice Eircom chap was just out at the house, and the fault on my line was outside my house, salty sea air had corroded the line and there was blue mold on the line so he replaced the end of it and stats are back 100%, 28 attenuation, 11 SNR. 7.6 meg not bad! Got some value for money out of my line rental this month :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pinoy

TheDeficit wrote: »
    Im a week into using eircon's 7mb package and every evening without fail it slows to 1mb or lower, tonight its dialup speed and I've had enough, I don't care what anyone says about contention and *speeds up to* I didn't sign up for dialup. Any vodafone/bt/perlico users experience similar slowdown?

you question ,..perlico/vodafone any better? NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! HOPE ITS NOT TOO LATE FOR YOU MY FRIEND.

icon13.gif
    icon13.gif
    icon13.gif

Advertisement