Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmainham

Options
  • 05-08-2009 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Im after taking an apartment in Kilmainham/south circular road and im not 100% sure what the area is like! Anyone from the area could let me know? Like what pubs would be good to go myself and the girlfriend are 25, Also what would be the nearest soccer and gaa club? Is there a gym near by. thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Magicface

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Good/great pub is The Royal Oak tucked down Kilmainham Road opposite the Garda station.

There's a gym in the Hilton buildings. Don't use it myself.

Excellent chippy on the run of shops with the Spar on the corner.

Cafe in IMMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭magicface

Cheers thanks very much for your info!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

It's a grand oul area, obviously some little scummers but sure it's Dublin. Do you mean soccer/gaa to play for or to watch? If it's the later St.Patricks Athletic play down the road in Inchicore, be an alright way to kill a few hours on a Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Nearest Gah club is probably Liffey Gaels. Head up to Inchicore and turn toward Ballyer, it's at the bottom of Sarsfield Road. About 15 minutes walk from Kilmainham.

As said, Pats are the nearest football club to watch. As for playing, I'm sure there are tons of clubs in and around Kilmainham/Crumlin/Drimnagh/Inchicore - all within striking distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

You also have a newly opened 4* Pizza at the junction of Emmet Rd and Sth Circular and you can eat in.
    The Black Lion and McDowells are good pubs in Inchicore.
    http://www.dublinpubs.ie/pub.asp?id=61
    and there is a also a great cake shop on Bulfin Rd called La Boulangerie. They have a few other branches in the city so no excuse to forget her birthday now! :D

The War memorial gardens are a great place to go walking in the evenings if the weather is fine. Lovely walk up along the river!

The other GAA club nearby is Good Counsel on Davitt Rd where at least they know how to hurl properly :P
    http://www.goodcounsel.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭magicface

Ah guys thanks very much for all your help its been greatly taking on board! Gavin "shels" ya I know pats are down the road im a season ticket holder with Galway United wouldn't mind given Jeff Kenna a bit of abuse ha ha! Moving up the last week of August so we wont be long finding our way around! Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

magicface wrote: »
    Ah guys thanks very much for all your help its been greatly taking on board! Gavin "shels" ya I know pats are down the road im a season ticket holder with Galway United wouldn't mind given Jeff Kenna a bit of abuse ha ha! Moving up the last week of August so we wont be long finding our way around! Thanks again

Good man, but it's the best way to get away from the aul girlfriend for a few hours.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

If you're interested in jogging/running, a good run (40mins - 60 mins) is into the Memorial Gardens along the river, the rowing boats crews of several clubs train here and store their boats on the far side. Their big regatta takes place in the Summer. Keep running through a gate into a wilder area of the river. Chapelizod church is seen up ahead, you follow the path into Chapelizod village and course the River Liffey and take a left and right uop a lane into Phoenix Park. Take a right and return in the direction you came and you get good views over the Liffey, there's also a steep climb you can test your stamina. Its possible to exit on the main road just short of Kilmainham Bridge or go for a couple of hundred meteres and take some steps down from the park to the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

LiamMc wrote: »
    If you're interested in jogging/running, a good run (40mins - 60 mins) is into the Memorial Gardens along the river, the rowing boats crews of several clubs train here and store their boats on the far side. Their big regatta takes place in the Summer. Keep running through a gate into a wilder area of the river. Chapelizod church is seen up ahead, you follow the path into Chapelizod village and course the River Liffey and take a left and right uop a lane into Phoenix Park. Take a right and return in the direction you came and you get good views over the Liffey, there's also a steep climb you can test your stamina. Its possible to exit on the main road just short of Kilmainham Bridge or go for a couple of hundred meteres and take some steps down from the park to the river.
    good suggestion, i'm always looking for good jogging routes, phoenix park gets a bit boring after a while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Topcat1234

Can anyone tell me is there a good GYM in the area. A GYM that has plenty of freeweights? Sqaut/Bench/Pull-up bar etc...

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Please don't dig up old threads, start a new one. Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement