Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PI on Twitter

Options
  • 05-08-2009 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭

I've noticed that one of the boards Twitter accounts is publicising popular threads, which I think is a fantastic feature - takes me to parts of the site I'd never usually look at. I do notice though that it's also putting PI threads up there, which worries me.

As far as I can see, the whole ethos of PI is that you can post anonymously and decide how much info to reveal so that you won't be identified - but do posters know that the info might be going out to the wider public on Twitter as well? It just seems to me that it adds another level of exposure to something that's supposed to be private. It would only take about two degrees of separation (a boardsie RTing, a non-boardsie seeing it and clicking through) for someone to possibly recognise an OP - which is par for the course, I guess, online - but I think if OPs knew that there was a possibility that their thread would be pimped on Twitter, they'd think twice about what details they put up there, or possibly they wouldn't post at all.

It just struck me as a bit inappropriate, tbh. Like recording a Samaritans phone call and putting it on YouTube for the lulz. Or am I being ridiculously oversensitive?

I understand it would be a pain to fix, btw, since it's clearly automated.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

shellyboo wrote: »
    I've noticed that one of the boards Twitter accounts is publicising popular threads, which I think is a fantastic feature - takes me to parts of the site I'd never usually look at. I do notice though that it's also putting PI threads up there, which worries me.

I am not impressed by it either.
    - but I think if OPs knew that there was a possibility that their thread would be pimped on Twitter, they'd think twice about what details they put up there, or possibly they wouldn't post at all.

I agree, while pages on boards are indexed in google, google does not have a targeted audience unlike the @boardstop tweets.
    It just struck me as a bit inappropriate, tbh. Like recording a Samaritans phone call and putting it on YouTube for the lulz. Or am I being ridiculously oversensitive?

I honestly think it goes against the ethos of PI/RI has a safe space.
    I understand it would be a pain to fix, btw, since it's clearly automated.

I don't know what critea are used to select the threads so I have no idea how difficult it may be to rule pi/ri threads out.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Are PI/RI latest posts shown on the front page?

Gordon wrote: »
    Are PI/RI latest posts shown on the front page?

Yah, they are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

It just seems to me that it adds another level of exposure to something that's supposed to be private.

PI isn't private. It can be anonymous but it's far from private seeing as the posts show up in Google.

As I already said else where there is a difference between posting an issue in PI or responding in PI and then having those posts highlighted via a 3rd party system such as twitter.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    As I already said else where there is a difference between posting an issue in PI or responding in PI and then having those posts highlighted via a 3rd party system such as twitter.

Agreeded.

I was addressing the often believed 'fact' that PI is a private forum, 'non-indexed by Google' forum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I think if I was to post how I was abused, or my husband / wife had an affair, or my partner was dying, I would know I posted it, and I would be aware the post will be on the front page, and if I searched the terms on google I would get my own thread.

What I would NOT be prepared for is "Popular thread: <your problem here>!!' when I log in to twitter.

Google is third party too. The only way that people read this rss feed is if they have chosen to sign up to follow the feed really. I'm not sure how different that is to the rss feed of the front page tbh.

Have you seen how quickly and widereaching a retweet on twitter can be?
    Big difference between a person having an rss from the front page in thier personal feeds and that.
    Also the pages get lost in the wash in google unlike with this pointed and selected broadcast push.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=boards.ie+personal+issues&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=personal+issues&btnG=Search&meta=

very first search for "personal issues" shows boards.ie.

http://boardreader.com/fp/boards_ie_15682/Personal_Issues_104532.html

gives the option to see "hot threads".

i see where people are coming from not liking an automated system "slapping PI in their faces" but the front page is automated and they show up there yes?*

PI gets respect from us here, we dont allow people to make fun of PI threads in public forums. We don't give people crap about their PIs on other forums.

its a tricky one, but imo its fine having it on an automatic updater like the twitter.
    it can be RSS'd anyway.

(*i dunno, i used my subbed list as front page posts.)

edit: beaten to it

• Advertisement

Sigh. There's a difference between searching for something, and having it spammed at you.

Anyway, if everyone believes this is fine, perhaps a warning should be posted permanently in announcements on PI to let people know their threads can be tweeted by a board.ie account on twitter.

Then that way whoever doesn't care about it being found on twitter will be able to post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

They get indexed by Google/Yahoo!/etc., appear on the front page, appear in Google Alerts and are generally pretty well publicised. You can even get a stream of the threads in PI by subscribing to an RSS feed of it. PI isn't private by any stretch of the imagination.

Personally, I don't think putting them out on Twitter from the boards_top account will increase their publicity either quantitatively or qualitatively. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

Ross implemented this, so I don't know how the threads are selected. If ye think that PI/RI threads are appearing more often than they would by virtue of their relative popularity, I'm sure he'll be open to suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Silverfish wrote: »
    Sigh. There's a difference between searching for something, and having it spammed at you.

It's only "spammed at you" if you follow boards_top or happen to be watching the public timeline.
    Then that way whoever doesn't care about it being found on twitter will be able to post.

Remember, even if we don't automatically post some of them to Twitter, there's still nothing stopping anyone making a Twitter feed out of the PI RSS feed or even just tweeting links to PI threads that interest them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

In fairness, anyone who puts an personal issue on the internet kinda knows already that people can read it...whether it be just boards.ie members, someone googling or someone watching a twitter feed. Don't see the difference between them myself. In fact I had never even heard of that twitter feed until now...thanks for publicising it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Nerin wrote: »

PI gets respect from us here, we dont allow people to make fun of PI threads in public forums. We don't give people crap about their PIs on other forums.

That's exactly my worry... PI holds a special status on boards, and publicising it on Twitter leaves the forum, and its posters, open to identifaction and possible trouble.

I think if I was to post how I was abused, or my husband / wife had an affair, or my partner was dying, I would know I posted it, and I would be aware the post will be on the front page, and if I searched the terms on google I would get my own thread.

What I would NOT be prepared for is "Popular thread: <your problem here>!!' when I log in to twitter.

Exactly. I'm out of thanks, but this is what I'm trying to say.
    Google is third party too. The only way that people read this rss feed is if they have chosen to sign up to follow the feed really. I'm not sure how different that is to the rss feed of the front page tbh.

You have to literall go and type things into Google though, look for something. Same with the boards front page - people know that boardsies look at that.

Twitter is not like Google. What could happen is, one boardsie RTs a PI tweet. That goes out to his 500 followers, some of whom are non-boardsies. Ireland is a small, small place. Who's to say that one of those non-boardises won't click through and identify their partner or brother or sister?

Yes, I accept that this is the risk you take online. I have no problem with the Twitter feed itself - the problem I have is that PI posters do not know, and have no way of knowing, that their thread could appear on Twitter. They're deciding whether or not to post, and how much information to post, without knowing that Twitter is a factor. That's not ok, imo.

Ludo wrote: »
    In fairness, anyone who puts an personal issue on the internet kinda knows already that people can read it...whether it be just boards.ie members, someone googling or someone watching a twitter feed. Don't see the difference between them myself.
    pretty much my feelings on it.
    i think its proper that other forums on boards respect it, but its google-able, rss-able and twitter-able by anyone.

That's exactly my worry... PI holds a special status on boards, and publicising it on Twitter leaves the forum, and its posters, open to identifaction and possible trouble.
    yes, it holds status on boards and i agree with that status. but its not private, it has the ability to post unregistered and it has our respect here.
    i see anything other than that as putting it up on a pedestal that imo it doesnt deserve.
    sounds harsh, but in reality, if /b/ or anyone else wanna troll, they'll troll.
    An Rss or retweet isnt going to set them off in a special way.

You have to literall go and type things into Google though, look for something. Same with the boards front page - people know that boardsies look at that.
    just because it takes less clicks or typing doesnt change it in my eyes.
    its just potluck.
    Twitter is not like Google. What could happen is, one boardsie RTs a PI tweet. That goes out to his 500 followers, some of whom are non-boardsies.
    That can be done on msn, facebook, bebo, my website, thumped etc etc.

Yes, I accept that this is the risk you take online. I have no problem with the Twitter feed itself - the problem I have is that PI posters do not know, and have no way of knowing, that their thread could appear on Twitter. They're deciding whether or not to post, and how much information to post, without knowing that Twitter is a factor. That's not ok, imo.
    And i agree with Silverfish idea, it can be announced. actually, having a guide to the find-ability of info online would be a good addition to the charter.
    I find it to be intrusive spam. But that's besides the point.
    can you simply block it then? im actually gonna check twitter, because i havent paid attention to it in a while.

The site is google indexed but this is different this is a boards member of staff pushing threads to give them more publicity and broadcasting them on a 3rd party service.

Yes pi/ri threads appear on the front page but you have to be lookin at the front page to see them.

And i agree with Silverfish idea, it can be announced. actually, having a guide to the find-ability of info online would be a good addition to the charter.

This is the least that should be done, IMO. All I know is that knowing it *might* appear on Twitter, which a vast, vast majority of my friends (who would never look at boards in a million years) use would stop me from posting.

I just think everyone should be able to make that same call.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Tbh, I wouldn't have known about this whole fandango if it weren't for Thaed's RT from earlier on.

I'd be against it, but then again, I'm against PI appearing on the front page too.

I'm finding it weird that the search function was removed from PI to protect the privacy of the posters there, then there's a boards twitter account set up to retweet threads.

• Advertisement

The site is google indexed but this is different this is a boards member of staff pushing threads to give them more publicity and broadcasting them on a 3rd party service.
    Thats hardly relevant. i could do it.
    you could do it. some smart ass on another site could do it for bad reasons.
    a member of staff doing it (and not SPECIFICALLY doing it,as its about the popularity of the thread) would make me more comfortable tbh.

Yes pi/ri threads appear on the front page but you have to be lookin at the front page to see them.
    The front page is the first thing you see on boards. :confused:
    Boards is one of the first search results on google.
    This is the least that should be done, IMO.

Agreed, charter update and announcement would be great, no matter the outcome of this feedback. :)
    All I know is that knowing it *might* appear on Twitter, which a vast, vast majority of my friends (who would never look at boards in a million years) use would stop me from posting.
    Thats your choice. there are many people that are probably put off posting when they see the 4000+ Online notice in the top left of the page.
    I just think everyone should be able to make that same call.
    Totally agree. I liked this idea, and added it. theres lotsa resources on boards/for boards that get neglected and go un-noticed.
    There should be an announcement on PI.

Which puts them on the twitter servers and feeds which are archived and searched by several other 3rd party sites.

I'm finding it weird that the search function was removed from PI to protect the privacy of the posters there, then there's a boards twitter account set up to retweet threads.

+1

Either we're trying to keep it as private as possible, or we're not.

Thats hardly relevant. i could do it.
    you could do it. some smart ass on another site could do it for bad reasons.
    a member of staff doing it (and not SPECIFICALLY doing it,as its about the popularity of the thread) would make me more comfortable tbh.

I am not happy that it was set up as a 'project' and we were not told or informed about it or asked for feedback and I learned about it first on the 31st of July when I saw a PI thread highligthed by the @boards_top bot and I flagged it as an issue and never got a response to only see the same thing happen again this evening.

Weird that search is disabled but Google is indexing at will with no objections from anyone? I guess.

Not werid, big difference between someone finding at thread in an ocean of threads on google and having it pointedly pushed on twitter.

Weird that search is disabled but Google is indexing at will with no objections from anyone? I guess.

Not for me, I'd have to actually go to google and put in specific search terms, its not coming direct to my inbox / twitter etc.

I am not happy that it was set up as a 'project' and we were not told or informed about it or asked for feedback and
    In fairness,i dont think anyone would have thought to inform the PI mods.
    Its something i would have forgotten. Human error maybe, but its not like we HAVE to be informed of everything, we are just mods.
    ]I learned about it first on the 31st of July when I saw a PI thread highligthed by the @boards_top bot and I flagged it as an issue and never got a response to only see the same thing happen again this evening.
    em, you did get a response, approx five hours later, and didnt reply.
    the thread in question wasnt bumped by someone else until 3 days ago, and then you posted again today, but not really as indepth as this feedback.

Am I being stupid, or can no-one else see the difference between people who use boards seeing/finding the threads (something that OPs expect) and people who have never used, seen, or heard of boards having a thread from PI popping up in their Twitter feed?

There is quite clearly a difference between that and being able to find a thread in Google if you go and specifically look for it.

As for the "anyone could do it" angle... no-one who knows anything about boards would. Because they know what PI is about.

• Advertisement

Weird that search is disabled.

It's not disabled for me. Is that because I'm a mod ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement