Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PI on Twitter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

(sorry for continuously replying, i just find this all interesting and stuff :o)
    shellyboo wrote: »
    Am I being stupid, or can no-one else see the difference between people who use boards seeing/finding the threads (something that OPs expect) and people who have never used, seen, or heard of boards having a thread from PI popping up in their Twitter feed?
    No you arent being stupid :)
    im finding it hard to see it so black and white though.
    if i dont use boards, or have never used boards, id hardly subscribe,search,sign up or sub to tweets for boards.

i think thats what im failing to grasp here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Nerin wrote: »
    (sorry for continuously replying, i just find this all interesting and stuff :o)

if i dont use boards, or have never used boards, id hardly subscribe,search,sign up or sub to tweets for boards.

I'm talking about the possibility of RTs though Ner :) Random boardsie follows boards on Twitter, RTs boards_top Tweet, all his followers (non-boardsies) see it, they RT it... you know yourself how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Silverfish wrote: »
    Not for me, I'd have to actually go to google and put in specific search terms, its not coming direct to my inbox / twitter etc.
    So you follow boards_top on twitter?

I think so Ponster, yeah.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

As previously explained, they come up in the public timeline on twitter.

Gordon wrote: »
    So you follow boards_top on twitter?

No, I saw it in the public timeline. And I have seen it retweeted by people I follow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The point of that @boards_top account is to drive people to the site as people will retweet the posts and they will have non boardsies on thier list of followers, the point is to bring in new people to the site, fine and fair enough but I do not think PI threads should be used for that.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Have you seen how quickly and widereaching a retweet on twitter can be?
    Big difference between a person having an rss from the front page in thier personal feeds and that.
    2 hours ago you just retweeted a personal issues post. If you are against this, why are you seemingly supporting it?

I'm talking about the possibility of RTs though Ner :) Random boardsie follows boards on Twitter, RTs boards_top Tweet, all his followers (non-boardsies) see it, they RT it... you know yourself how it works.
    im semi aware how it works (i havent paid as much attention to twitter as i should i guess :P), i never look at the public timeline tbh, i only read peoples tweets that i follow.
    As previously explained, they come up in the public timeline on twitter.
    Dont all tweets do that?
    And isnt that similar to them being bumped on the front page, Boards own public timeline of sorts?

2 hours ago you just retweeted a personal issues post. If you are against this, why are you seemingly supporting it?

Yes I retweeted the @boards_top post to protest it. I am not supportive of it at all, as the threads I have started on this shows.

And isnt that similar to them being bumped on the front page, Boards own public timeline of sorts?

It is not the same it is disseminating it off site in a manner which pushes and promots this site, which as several of the PI mods have already said is not in keeping with PI.

• Advertisement

im semi aware how it works (i havent paid as much attention to twitter as i should i guess :P), i never look at the public timeline tbh, i only read peoples tweets that i follow.

Dont all tweets do that?

Yes Nerin, all tweets appear in the public timeline. The @boards_top bot is to encourage more visitors to boards. So the boards.ie front page is not the same, since most people looking at it are already members. Not all posts on the front page will be from PI at any one given time.

Now, if this @boards_top is encouraging more visitors to boards by using the juicy hook of a nice scandalous problem from the PI forum, then I - and a few others, feel that's pretty damn low.

Add that to the fact that PI allows unregistered posting, so people can see the @boards_top tweets in the public timeline, click the link, go straight to PI, not bother registering, read the problem, and in many cases, reply with their hilarious input.

Yes, 'Google! Rar! Google!'. Here's the tricky bit. To get the same threads that are posted on twitter by @boards_top, you go to google, type in some very specific search terms, and hopefully get the thread.

Now, thats the difference.

Same as me, I don't look at the public timeline either. But if I retweeted a PI post, 86 people - not all of whom are on boards - would see it too. And that's just ME. My profile was protected up until last week, random people couldn't follow me.

Yes I retweeted the @boards_top post to protest it. I am not supportive of it at all, as the threads I have started on this shows.
    Err, ok, you're not happy that someone is posting PI threads on twitter, but you're happy to do it yourself in protest. Has the OP of the thread you posted on twitter been notified that you have posted their thread on twitter? Did you discuss this move with your co-mods? If not, then I don't see the difference tbh.

Err, ok, you're not happy that someone is posting PI threads on twitter, but you're happy to do it yourself in protest. Has the OP of the thread you posted on twitter been notified that you have posted their thread on twitter? Did you discuss this move with your co-mods? If not, then I don't see the difference tbh.

I didn't retweet anything, and I *still* have a problem with it. Does it matter what Thaed did? Other people than her have an issue with this.

Gordon do you know how twitter works?
    I retweeted the tweet so it was the exact same link which was selected by the board bot, I did not do further damage so stop trying to make out that I did I won't be used as a strawman thank you very much.

Yes Nerin, all tweets appear in the public timeline. The @boards_top bot is to encourage more visitors to boards. So the boards.ie front page is not the same, since most people looking at it are already members. Not all posts on the front page will be from PI at any one given time.
    Cheers, i honestly dont know ALL the ins and outs of twitter (im only back sampling facebook :P)
    i also didnt know the reason behind the bot other than to bring popular threads to attention, i didnt see it as advertising or incentive.
    Now, if this @boards_top is encouraging more visitors to boards by using the juicy hook of a nice scandalous problem from the PI forum, then I - and a few others, feel that's pretty damn low.
    I wouldnt see that as the reasoning behind it though..
    Add that to the fact that PI allows unregistered posting, so people can see the @boards_top tweets in the public timeline, click the link, go straight to PI, not bother registering, read the problem, and in many cases, reply with their hilarious input.
    Well in my eyes thatd be the same as googling and finding a thread, but yes, i see how that gets around charters and warnings, which will cause all sorts of hassle. (although it could be argued if anyones gonna troll they wont give a toss about charters)

edit- btw, i wish we could still thank posts in feedback

That makes the whole concept sound malicious. I'm sure that Ross didn't even think about PI being used in @boards_top, let alone intentionally include it to draw in more posters. @boards_top just merely takes certain popular threads; it doesn't discriminate against certain forums and it doesn't have a bias towards PI. How do I know this? I know it because the intentions weren't malicious or conniving.

Well in my eyes thatd be the same as googling and finding a thread, but yes, i see how that gets around charters and warnings, which will cause all sorts of hassle. (although it could be argued if anyones gonna troll they wont give a toss about charters)

edit- btw, i wish we could still thank posts in feedback

It's not the same. It's the difference between a phone number being on a billboard in the street and it being in a phone book. One you will see in passing and opportunistically use, the other you have to intentionally find.

Gordon do you know how twitter works?
    I retweeted the tweet so it was the exact same link which was selected by the board bot, I did not do further damage so stop trying to make out that I did I won't be used as a strawman thank you very much.
    You disseminated the link to a wider audience, not quite sure what you're getting at here tbh.

That makes the whole concept sound malicious. I'm sure that Ross didn't even think about PI being used in @boards_top, let alone intentionally include it to draw in more posters. @boards_top just merely takes certain popular threads; it doesn't discriminate against certain forums and it doesn't have a bias towards PI. How do I know this? I know it because the intentions weren't malicious or conniving.

Grand. I'm not sure I'd think that if it was a thread I posted that I saw marked as a 'Popular thread!' and linked via twitter to be perfectly honest, regardless of the initial intention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

But it's fantastic for boards.ie LTD.

I'm now considering the possible irony of this thread getting so popular that it may appear in the @boards_top feed. But then, are Feedback and Helpdesk threads excluded from the bot? Would be interesting if they were.

I have found on the @boards_top feed for the last 3 weeks 10 links to pr/ri threads and have deleted all the threads and will continue to do so while this matter has not been properly addressed.

I'm now considering the possible irony of this thread getting so popular that it may appear in the @boards_top feed. But then, are Feedback and Helpdesk threads excluded from the bot? Would be interesting if they were.

Not one has appeared on it anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I have found on the @boards_top feed for the last 3 weeks 10 links to pr/ri threads and have deleted all the threads and will continue to do so while this matter has not been properly addressed.

Errr...what? You delete threads because they appear in twitter?

Ponster wrote: »
    Errr...what? You delete threads because they appear in twitter?

um, thats not really fair though, those people asked for help. its (imo anyway) a bit of an over reaction... :(

Why not just leave things until Ross/CuLT comes online and can either sort it out or tell everybody that staying it's how it is?

Capriciously deleting threads now isn't going to do any good either way.

These people posted on boards looking for help and not for their threads/posts to be used to promote boards.ie on twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

um, thats not really fair though, those people asked for help. its (imo anyway) a bit of an over reaction... :(
    But did they ask for their personal issues to appear on one of the most popular social networking sites when they posted asking for help?

People come to PI/RI genuinely looking for help, I'm sure most are aware that there is the distant possibility that someone, somewhere may put the right terms into google sometime, discover their thread and put 2 and 2 together. However, that is a distant possibility.

Having it circulating throughout one of the biggest, most active social networking services, however, increases that possibility to the point where I'm sure a lot would be well put off posting their PI if they knew.

• Advertisement

And would be put of posting a reply sharing thier experiences to someone elses PI/RI.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement