Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Safes

Options
  • 05-08-2009 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend good Gun Safes that could take 1 shotgun and 1 rifle + scope, and maybe another shotgun or rifle in the future.

And also that have a shelf for ammo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Most of the 'Infac' safes would have what you're looking for. There are a number of different models and have been approved by the Gardai.

Infac safes have that and are pretty good.

Most Buffalo river safes also have that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Word of caution here.

I've got an Infac six gun safe, it's extra deep for scoped rifles and has an ammo locker in the top.

The caution being, it's advertised as six gun ok? I've got two rifles and a shotgun in there. Both of the rifles have scopes with target turrets on them. Basically, there isn't a lot of room in there and stuff does get knocked about accidentally.

So the moral of the story is when you're buying a gunsafe, buy it deep if you're going to put scoped rifles in it and buy it a lot bigger than the number of guns you think you'll be putting in there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

johngalway wrote: »
    Word of caution here.

I've got an Infac six gun safe, it's extra deep for scoped rifles and has an ammo locker in the top.

The caution being, it's advertised as six gun ok? I've got two rifles and a shotgun in there. Both of the rifles have scopes with target turrets on them. Basically, there isn't a lot of room in there and stuff does get knocked about accidentally.

So the moral of the story is when you're buying a gunsafe, buy it deep if you're going to put scoped rifles in it and buy it a lot bigger than the number of guns you think you'll be putting in there ;)

in the fathers safe the rifles were as you say getting knocked about and sliding side to side. so what i done was take out the foam thing at the top(for holding the barrels) and put a piece of inch and 3/4 board in and put the foam back onto it.
    now with the foam farther out from the back of the safe it allows place for the scopes to lie beside each other better:)
    safe is a buffalo river 6 gun. seen that they now come with this modification already fitted!

Yeah, thats pretty standard.

A 6 gun safe fits four scoped rifles comfortably...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Provided it's deep enough. I've a Warmflo job that just doesn't cut it. Okay for what I have, barely. Will upgrade next time I'm getting something, probably go for a much bigger one then.

Just out of interest, do those scopes have target style turrets or hunter style turrets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

You should maybe wait a few days and see what is specified in the Firearms Secure Accommodation Order before deciding what to buy.

johngalway wrote: »
    Just out of interest, do those scopes have target style turrets or hunter style turrets?
    They are turrets are an inch or so long by half an inch wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭eireshot

Buffalo River are a good safe, the 6 gun one is good, i have 3 scoped rifles in mine with room to spare. i wouldn't put more than four in though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I bought a 14 gun safe (unbranded) in woodies a couple of years back and it just about houses 5 shotguns and 4 scoped rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

My warmflow cabinet holds the shot guns and the hornet no hassel. It's the one with the 5 point locking mechanism. cost about €220 I think its at least 4 year old

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Shadow-Lord

Thanks for all the info.

Can anyone recommend where to buy one in the cork area.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Don't forget to check to see it meets the relevant standards S-L...

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Shadow-Lord

Sparks wrote: »
    Don't forget to check to see it meets the relevant standards S-L...

So, if the safe is marked with BS 7558 or I.S. EN 50131 it is ok, or is there anything else it needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrhd

Thanks for all the info.

Can anyone recommend where to buy one in the cork area.

I live in north cork and I am in the market for a new safe, the results so far

Country Lifestyles, Mallow (cant remember brand)

Leisure World, Kilkenny - nearest stockist of Brattonsound which crops up alot in UK magazines, can be delivered direct from factor to your door

Knocknagoshel Shooting ground - Buffalo River and another brand

Landers Tralee - Safe Systems?? - might be misremembering brand name

4-gun (which is 2 gun really if you value your woodwork) are about e180-e200, if you go up to 6-gun or extra deep for scoped rifles you are in the e350 region for most of the shops/brands above

So, if the safe is marked with BS 7558 or I.S. EN 50131 it is ok, or is there anything else it needs.

BS 7558 is the only number you need to remember for the actual gun safe.

BS 3621 is to do with door locks.

I.S. EN 50131 is to do with alarm systems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Can anyone elaborate on infac safes and the ones that have received approval, if any!
    Can't seem to find any numbers on the safe itself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Can anyone elaborate on infac safes and the ones that have received approval, if any!

There aren't any numbers on my InFac safe but I will be ticking the "Passed" OK box for it.

CPO was here looking at it a few weeks back and it was passed as OK so that's good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

There's another thread here on much the same subject and there was some comment that Infac safes are built to a different (Spanish?) standard which exceeds the BS one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Anyone got any experiance of these? www.gunvault.com
    They are US standard.So do they translate to acceptable over here??.
    Like the idea of "keyless entry",and was thinking of upgrading to somthing more modern.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

rrpc wrote: »
    There's another thread here on much the same subject and there was some comment that Infac safes are built to a different (Spanish?) standard which exceeds the BS one.
    clivej wrote: »
    There aren't any numbers on my InFac safe but I will be ticking the "Passed" OK box for it.

CPO was here looking at it a few weeks back and it was passed as OK so that's good enough for me.

There's a bit more info from Duffy's here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61495070&postcount=69

Best, P.

Advertisement