Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two new tunes.

• 05-08-2009 10:24pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Two tunes that I had going for a couple of months. I decided to throw a few obstacles in the way. I didn't use a recording device until today so hadn't the luxury of playback for correction. I wrote them using one of the worlds worst guitars. It was dragged from a skip in Stoneybatter about 6 years ago and I never even changed the strings. This is the guitar you here in this recording. I broke the strings on my regular guitar a number of month ago just so I wouldn't be tempted.

This was recorded today just as the workmen next door started mixing mortar by hand so the shhhhchht sound you here is the shovel skidding across the concrete path as the mix. I'm putting this version up as they were both recorded straight off. No practice or editing.

I've treated myself to fresh strings for my favourite guitar and I'm now going to try and do a clearer version. Hopefully without the workmen in the background.
    I struggled with words because I am used to playing the instrumental version continiously when I come up with a song that doesn't naturally bring words along with the tune as I write.

I know what both songs are about and I'm not too worried about getting there.

www.myspace.com/armstrongjude

All intellegent and informed feedback greatly welcomed.
    1. Slow Tide Turning.
    2. Leave me be by myself tonight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 'G'

Hi have just listened to both of your tunes and would love to hear them with words.. they sound really good even tho guitar is very old... nice work

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Arghhh!! Writers block for the last few months. Plugging away but not cohesively. I know what the songs are about but the exact words are jarring at the moment. Still works in progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 'G'

I know how that feels :( sometimes you gotta take step back and just not try so hard!!! Best of luck ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 dill90

hey man just wondering what age u r?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

dill90 wrote: »
    hey man just wondering what age u r?

20's, cough, cough ahem...ok 30's (but still 30's)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

humberklog wrote: »
    20's, cough, cough ahem...ok 30's (but still 30's)

Yeah right! :D

Seriously though, first time in here - wanted to see what you got up to.

Love the first track (shovels and all) - very mellow - reminds me of Jeff Buckley for some reason.

Don't like the second one at all - bit too Greek wedding type music.

While I'm writing this , the player has gone on and played the third track which is nice and mellow.

Now bear in mind I'd be more a trash/death metal type person, so what you play is not exactly my type of music. However I'd still listen to it under certain circumstances - some of which we discussed in the Purty Kitchen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ciano12

I
    know how that feels sometimes you gotta take step back and just not try so hard!!! Best of luck ...

Advertisement