Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compaq Deskpro - Cant find model No , please help ?

Options
  • 05-08-2009 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

We have a computer and want to upfrade with some RAM.

Can't go on-line to scan system through crucial , to find out exactly what type it takes .

We know that it is a Compaq Deskpro , but the label is worn , and we want to find out if it is a 600 or 800 or whatever .

Does anyone know how to find out without going on-line .

Have been in device manager , but it does not say .

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Does it state your OEM and model number when you go to Start > Control Panel > System? Also, Start > Run > DXDIAG can give you the OEM motherboard model number which can work or at least help track down the likely range of system modei numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Google 'everest home' download, install, and run. It will tell you all about your hardware.

Alternatively, open up the case and pull out one of the existing memory modules (when the machine is off!), and read the details off it's label.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Solitaire wrote: »
    Does it state your OEM and model number when you go to Start > Control Panel > System? Also, Start > Run > DXDIAG can give you the OEM motherboard model number which can work or at least help track down the likely range of system modei numbers.

Thanks Solitaire

dxdiag has told me the model number .

I now know the ram type

Right , I now know that it is a Compaq Deskpro EP/SB

It has 10GB HD and 128 Ram and 647 MHz .

Crucial.com tells me that the maximum memory this pc will take is 384 MB

Do you think that a stick of 256mb would do anything for this pc ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

check www.adverts.ie for ram. You'll get 256mb in the region of 10 euro, retail stores normally charge quite a premium for that type of ram due to its age. Upgrading the ram certainly would help though, especially with start up times and responsiveness in general. What OS are you using?

• Advertisement

The OS is windows xp professional . its a pentium 3 and all , but the worrying thing is that the maximum memory it can handle is 384 mb ..................and it even has 3 slots .

Advertisement