Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MEP to get 50,000 euro pay out

Options
  • 05-08-2009 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

just came accross this in the indo even our MEP are out of touch kathy Sinnott has said that the 50,000 euro she is entilted to will keep food on the table wait on this up to december. wtf

Former Ireland South MEP Kathy Sinnott received expenses worth €351,389 on top of her €100,191 MEP salary last year.
    But she claims that the loss of the seat she has held since 2004 has left a gaping hole in her finances and she needs her hefty severance packet to stay afloat.
    She is one of three MEPs entitled to receive an "end of mandate allowance" worth €50,095 in the wake of their election defeat.
    Former Fianna Fail MEP Eoin Ryan and former Sinn Fein MEP Mary Lou McDonald are also entitled to receive the payment.
    All three former MEPs entered parliament in 2004 and under the rules anyone who has held their seat for more than three years in Brussels is entitled to a financial send-off when they either leave voluntarily or lose their seat.
    MEPs who have served a full-term, which is five years, can receive a minimum of six months pay.
    It is calculated on the salary they received in office, which amounted to €100,191 last year.
    Ms Sinnott last night insisted she needed the payment.
    "I will be very grateful for it as I have no income.
    "It will be a buffer for the next six months.
    "It will mean that I will be able to keep food on the table for my family until December.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

just came accross this in the indo even our MEP are out of touch kathy Sinnott has said that the 50,000 euro she is entilted to will keep food on the table wait on this up to december. wtf

Former Ireland South MEP Kathy Sinnott received expenses worth €351,389 on top of her €100,191 MEP salary last year.
    But she claims that the loss of the seat she has held since 2004 has left a gaping hole in her finances and she needs her hefty severance packet to stay afloat.
    She is one of three MEPs entitled to receive an "end of mandate allowance" worth €50,095 in the wake of their election defeat.
    Former Fianna Fail MEP Eoin Ryan and former Sinn Fein MEP Mary Lou McDonald are also entitled to receive the payment.
    All three former MEPs entered parliament in 2004 and under the rules anyone who has held their seat for more than three years in Brussels is entitled to a financial send-off when they either leave voluntarily or lose their seat.
    MEPs who have served a full-term, which is five years, can receive a minimum of six months pay.
    It is calculated on the salary they received in office, which amounted to €100,191 last year.
    Ms Sinnott last night insisted she needed the payment.
    "I will be very grateful for it as I have no income.
    "It will be a buffer for the next six months.
    "It will mean that I will be able to keep food on the table for my family until December.

I suppose that donkey balls aren't on the menu at that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Swans are not cheap, especially with all dem fordeigners eating half of them.

What a tit, 50k to feed the family! what happened to all the rest of the money you creamed off the taxpayers?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I don't hold out much hope for this thread, which seems to be a personal whinge against Kathy Sinnot, but, such as it is, it belongs in the European Union forum rather than anywhere else.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

If that's part of the severance package then so be it. I don't like her politics, but she ran for the EP under those conditions, and she's merely taking her agreed entitlement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Why are we still talking about Kathy Sinnot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

his point seems to be that she made such a large amount last year why does she need 50k this year to "feed her family"

while the expenses seem high we'd need more info on what they were for...e.g. if they related to a salary for staff it would not have been into her hand...it presumably covers a lot of travel and accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Riskymove wrote: »
    his point seems to be that she made such a large amount last year why does she need 50k this year to "feed her family"

while the expenses seem high we'd need more info on what they were for...e.g. if they related to a salary for staff it would not have been into her hand...it presumably covers a lot of travel and accommodation?

Exactly. MEPs are expected to run a regional constituency operation as well as an office in Brussels operating at a high level. There's a lot of people doing a lot of work in there, and people shouldn't presume that all those expenses went into Kathy's pocket. Being an MEP is a good well-paid job (to compensate for the travel and lack of security) but it's not a license to print money.

Most of them are indeed for staff, travel and accommodation - mostly staff. Unlike our TDs, MEPs are expected to do research, so they have a budget for researchers.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Most of them are indeed for staff, travel and accommodation - mostly staff. Unlike our TDs, MEPs are expected to do research, so they have a budget for researchers.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

maybe now isn't the time to point out TDs now get researchers too!

maybe now isn't the time to point out TDs now get researchers too!

Any time is a good time to point that out from my perspective - I wasn't aware of it. I thought they had a budget for a 'secretary' rather than a researcher. Do you have details?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Any time is a good time to point that out from my perspective - I wasn't aware of it. I thought they had a budget for a 'secretary' rather than a researcher. Do you have details?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

they do get allowance for a secretary

the researchers are not individual to TDs so there is no allowance but the Oireacthas hired a group of researchers for use by TDs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I don't hold out much hope for this thread, which seems to be a personal whinge against Kathy Sinnot, but, such as it is, it belongs in the European Union forum rather than anywhere else.

it,s not a personal whinge as mary lou mc donald &eoin ryan will also receive the payment my piont was that 50,000 will only last her six months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭free to prosper

For the few ignoramuses here.

You probably are not aware that Kathy Sinnott has 16 children to look after.

I think she has seven of her own, then she adopted the 9 children of her late sister who died a few years ago.

As a number of these children are now going through college, I presume supporting 16 children without a husband to bring in the bacon is tough going.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You might want to have a quick look through the charter before you post again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I think she has seven of her own, then she adopted the 9 children of her late sister who died a few years ago.

As a number of these children are now going through college, I presume supporting 16 children without a husband to bring in the bacon is tough going.

I can only begin to imagine how much money this woman has extracted from the state at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭worldrepublic

latenia wrote: »
    I can only begin to imagine how much money this woman has extracted from the state at this stage.

That's horrible! Would you please think about the children and what is best for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Whippo

So what, there are plenty of people with 10 plus children that survive on a lot less. It really boils down to the same old story of politicians feathering their own nests. Incidentally ,does anyone remember the time Sinnot was turfed out of the Cathedral in Thurles for canvassing??

Whippo wrote: »
    So what, there are plenty of people with 10 plus children that survive on a lot less. It really boils down to the same old story of politicians feathering their own nests. Incidentally ,does anyone remember the time Sinnot was turfed out of the Cathedral in Thurles for canvassing??

I think this thread is getting out of hand. Anyway there is no corruption in the European PArliament. It is modeled on the UN. Trying to say MEP's are "corrupt" is like saying Obama is not about hope and change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Whippo

Worldrepublic, I think your comment that there is no corruption in the European Parliament is somewhat short sighted! Are you just saying that to get a reaction? Have a look at the link below, actually just do a search on MEP corruption.... really, I think I'll put your quote on a 'funnies' thread....

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,2425423,00.html

Whippo wrote: »
    Worldrepublic, I think your comment that there is no corruption in the European Parliament is somewhat short sighted! Are you just saying that to get a reaction? Have a look at the link below, actually just do a search on MEP corruption.... really, I think I'll put your quote on a 'funnies' thread....

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,2425423,00.html

All lies. We need to embrace Europe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement