Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car service '45% cheaper in Belfast'

• 06-08-2009 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0805/consumer.html
    The study is published in the Consumers' Association of Ireland's magazine Consumer Choice.
    It found that the cost of a car service in Belfast was on average 45% cheaper than a similar service in Dublin,
    while the cost of a gas boiler service was 33% more in Dublin than Belfast.

While getting the gas boiler serviced should be okay, just rip it out and bring it up,
    my question is:
    would you get your papist car serviced in a garage in Nord Iron?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Higher cost of living in Dublin is the cause. There's a large discrepancy between not only Dublin and Belfast, which is at the end of the day outside our borders, but Dublin and most of Western Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yeah but is that 45% gonna cover your mileage and other travel expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Factor stuff is at least 30% cheaper in the North, If im passing Newry Ill stock up with oils, filters, fan belts etc and do it myself. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

jumpguy wrote: »
    Higher cost of living in Dublin is the cause. There's a large discrepancy between not only Dublin and Belfast, which is at the end of the day outside our borders, but Dublin and most of Western Ireland.

must be a higher cost of living in temple bar than any other part of dublin too seeing as they can charge €2 more for a pint than somewhere like wexford/camden street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

When people do these price surveys you must realise that the pound went through the floor not so long ago. Back when the pound was stable a euro would only buy 66p today its 84p and the pound has been rallying of late. It did almost go 1 for 1 not long ago. The problem with prices and expenses like wages is that they tend to be sticky, far less fluid than the market. You wouldn't like if your wage from week to week fluctuated according to the exchange rate?! No one would be able to make plans. If you go back to the traditional exchange rate you will find that the north isn't much cheaper for this kind of service. Thats the beauty of being able to devalue your currency.

Its a real pity that the UK never joined the euro, we would have seen true harmonisation of prices had they.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

The last time I went to get my car serviced (late 2008) I went off and got 2 quotes-

First Quote - A Garage (Indi) in Inchicore - 250 squid
    Second Quote - A Garage (Indi) in Leitrim - 90 squid

Naturally I went with the second quote. Granted I'm from the area but I don't care what anyone says, there isn't a 180eur difference between the price of a service in Dublin & Leitrim. FFS, I felt like asking the first guy was he having a larf. Muppet :mad:

My next service will probably be either an independent or at a VW garage in the North. The price difference will probably be minimal (EUR vs STG equiv).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭chamar

At the end of the day, we are getting 'ripped off' down here on a whole range of things. Anything over €150 for a standard car service is just ridic.

And as for dentists - don't get me started. I had a filling fall out one evening, went to the dentist the next day who refilled it - no drilling or injection necessary. It ended up costing me €250 and I literally spent longer in the waiting room than I did in the chair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

stepbar wrote: »

First Quote - A Garage (Indi) in Inchicore - 250 squid
    Second Quote - A Garage (Indi) in Leitrim - 90 squid.

Depending on the car of course but I wouldn't trust any service on a modern car for 90euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Lads, we have to be patriotic. :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Slidey wrote: »
    Depending on the car of course but I wouldn't trust any service on a modern car for 90euro

Well if its a car which can use the older less expensive oils, I dont see why oil & filter together with check list cannot be done for €90. Fair enough, in a modern car, the oil would cost the €90 so that would be dodgy.
    The guy charging the 250 isnt going to work some magic if the only works specified were oil & filter together with check list

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Lads, we have to be patriotic. :rolleyes::D

Theres's nothing patriotic about 21.5% VAT.:eek:

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

chamar wrote: »
    At the end of the day, we are getting 'ripped off' down here on a whole range of things. Anything over €150 for a standard car service is just ridic.

And as for dentists - don't get me started. I had a filling fall out one evening, went to the dentist the next day who refilled it - no drilling or injection necessary. It ended up costing me €250 and I literally spent longer in the waiting room than I did in the chair!

Shop around. I don't know very many dentists who charge €250 for a filling. There are a few. But they are in the minority, even in Dublin.

Advertisement