Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anderson Silva vs. Roy Jones Jr.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lil-evil

Jones would KO him in first round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

This was brought up last year weren't it? Dana said he'd never let it happen IIRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

lil-evil wrote: »
    Jones would KO him in first round

Jones is 40.. Silva is quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Jones is 40.. Silva is quick.
    A boxer would stop an mma fighter in a boxing match. It's like saying would munster beat man united in a soccer match, two different sports.

A boxer would stop an mma fighter in a boxing match. It's like saying would munster beat man united in a soccer match, two different sports.

Not really, you can basically just fight in MMA the same as boxing, so it's more like ''Pitch and Putt and Golf'' :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That said, jones fights at 160-175, Silva at 185-205.
    I imagine it would be fought at catch weight, 180 or maybe 185

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Jones at peak, easy win for rjj-Jones now, hard to say, he's quite worn and very far from his best.. I'd still like to see silva boxing though.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Silva only has 4 fights left on his contract so it is very possible he could fight Jones when that runs out. While Anderson has real good accuracy with his punches he just doesnt have the power to fight a pro like Jones though. If the fight did happen it would probably be a massacre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

UFC contract automatically extend by one fight if you are champ. Silva has reportedlysaid the contracts with RJJ have been signed. Not sure of the accuracy or legality of this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

That is an article from a year and a half ago!!!!!!!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Jones is a little slower and has had a few KO's against him since he came back from heavyweight, In his day Jones was king of boxing and would destroy him, no who knows a win for either of them isn't going to state alot. If Silva wins Jones is passed it, if Jones wins its natural for the boxer to win.

The only reason i see this making sense for Anderson is he's meant to look at RJJ as a hero and always wanted to box aswell, what better thing to do than to fight your hero.

If he won in good fashion he would potentially make way more money in Boxing aswell, remains to be seen if he could though, would be sad if he did beat RJJ as he would really only be beating a shell of a man and i hate to see legends lose at the end of there carreers like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

That is an article from a year and a half ago!!!!!!!:confused:

It's starting to come out from the Silva camp again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Goose81

he would be KO'd in 30 seconds.

Check out 48yr old Ray Mercer KO Tim Slyvia within 5 second of Sylvia kicking him when they agreed to just box.
    It was a 9 second KO to be precise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Wasn't Anderson meant to have retired from MMA by now? Or was it early next year? I don't see it happening. First of all, Anderson would have to lose his title to leave the UFC, which probably won't happen for some time unless he throws a fight

This could all be a ploy on Jones Jr's part to gain publicity for his promotion. The last show that he promoted was a mixed boxing and MMA card, so if he's going in that direction stories like this certainly help

If it ever did happen you can be assured of a lot of message board posts :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

After 101, Silva has three more fights left doesnt he?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

So I thought but....
    dunkamania wrote: »
    UFC contract automatically extend by one fight if you are champ.

Does that mean it keeps extending if you keep defending it?

So I thought but....

Does that mean it keeps extending if you keep defending it?

Yes. And if you try to leave then you've seen what happened with Couture. The only way out of it is to retire, and I'm sure that their contracts cover boxing and other combat sports as part of that

It would probably be defeated in court, but that would take a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭druss666

found this today silva boxing i still think even an old jones would ko him http://www.mmatko.com/anderson-silva-vs-julio-cesar-de-jesus-fight-video-boxing/

druss666 wrote: »
    found this today silva boxing i still think even an old jones would ko him http://www.mmatko.com/anderson-silva-vs-julio-cesar-de-jesus-fight-video-boxing/

That was years ago, sure i saw one of Silva's earlier MMA fights in some British event(cage rage?) and while he won, and if you said to somebody after that fight what would happen over the next few years, you'd find it hard to believe

• Advertisement

Roy Jones Jr sent out a press release the other day saying that he'd be at the UFC show to watch Anderson, but it was just to get some publicity for his next fight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Dont be fooled by an MMA guys boxing. It donest compare to a real boxer. Not even close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

T-K-O wrote: »
    Dont be fooled by an MMA guys boxing. It donest compare to a real boxer. Not even close.

can you elaborate on that? are you saying kenny egan would put on a boxing clinic against anderson silva in a proboxing arena? what's a real boxer? what's an unreal boxer?

Well kenny is an amateur but i would say he would jab anderson about in a boxing match-thats all he trains for and he's olympic silver medalist so his standard is high and i'd say beyond that of silva. In saying that i think silva has good boxing but as stated, good boxing in mma does not mean your a high standard boxing as its done mostly against opposition with poor boxing which is obviously easy.
    can you elaborate on that? are you saying kenny egan would put on a boxing clinic against anderson silva in a proboxing arena? what's a real boxer? what's an unreal boxer?

Apples and oranges. You have to compare like with like. Silva is top of this game Kenny is not.

In saying that Kenny would school the majority of MMA guys in a boxing ring.

Striking in MMA is nothing like boxing - look a Liddell, he was always known for his striking, that huge wind up he uses in MMA simply would not work in a boxing ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

So you're saying a MMA fighter wouldn't be better at boxing than a top boxing pro or an Olympic Champion? OR wouldn't be better at judo than a Olympic Judoka? Or better at wrestling than an olympian? or better at table tennis than a world champion? or better at soccer then a premier league player. an astute point.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

T-K-O wrote: »
    Striking in MMA is nothing like boxing - look a Liddell, he was always known for his striking, that huge wind up he uses in MMA simply would not work in a boxing ring.

True but Chuck and Silva are in a whole different class, if you caught UFC 101 as an example Silva has amazing speed and can dodge and duck like a pro boxer, his hand speed and reach would give him quite a shot.

I could see him beating Roy Jones if the match happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

The-Game wrote: »
    True but Chuck and Silva are in a whole different class, if you caught UFC 101 as an example Silva has amazing speed and can dodge and duck like a pro boxer, his hand speed and reach would give him quite a shot.

I could see him beating Roy Jones if the match happened.

I dont know about beating rjj, but its defo an interesting match up idlove to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

RJJ in his prime would go right through Silva in a boxing match. Now, I'm not so sure but I would still give the edge to RJJ.

World class boxing that RJJ possess is a different level to the boxing that Silva has.

• Advertisement

So you're saying a MMA fighter wouldn't be better at boxing than a top boxing pro or an Olympic Champion? OR wouldn't be better at judo than a Olympic Judoka? Or better at wrestling than an olympian? or better at table tennis than a world champion? or better at soccer then a premier league player. an astute point.

Read the title of this thread. It's comparing Silva and RJJ. Jones is probably the most talented boxer of his generation. Anderson Silva would not stand a chance. None what so ever.

Advertisement