Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anderson Silva vs. Roy Jones Jr.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

The-Game wrote: »
    True but Chuck and Silva are in a whole different class, if you caught UFC 101 as an example Silva has amazing speed and can dodge and duck like a pro boxer, his hand speed and reach would give him quite a shot.

I could see him beating Roy Jones if the match happened.

Anderson Silva is amazing fighter. His performance on Sunday was outstanding. Right now IMO he is the best fighter on the planet.

The problem I have is when you start comparing MMA fighters to boxers. Sure Silva dodged and ducked on Sunday but who was throwing the shots ??

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Like throwing Frank Mir into a submission wrestling match against Roger Gracie.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭roo1981

Fozzy wrote: »
    I don't see it happening. First of all, Anderson would have to lose his title to leave the UFC, which probably won't happen for some time unless he throws a fight

Word is Silva has offered to vacate the 185 pound title to fight at LHW. An incredibly cunning move by his management. Let Ando finish out his UFC career with some LHW superfights, then once the contract is up he's free to go fight Jones. UFC are reportedly keen on the idea due to lack of viable challengers at MW.

Mind you Ando's probably counting on not having to fight Machida for the title if possible...if he has to fight that fight and wins, he's back under the championship lockdown.

IMO if he fights Jones its not gonna be pretty-Forrests boxing is far from stellar, if there were belt rankings in boxing, Forest would be a dodgy purple and Ando would be a higher level black. Mind you Roy Jones (even being the shell he is today) would be of those grandmastery ninja types-he'd quite easily toy with Ando. Andos striking looks to have a Muai Thai base-I dont see him doing to well against a world champion level boxer like Jones in a straight boxing match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

He is not going to drop the belt but will fight at 205

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So you're saying a MMA fighter wouldn't be better at boxing than a top boxing pro or an Olympic Champion? OR wouldn't be better at judo than a Olympic Judoka? Or better at wrestling than an olympian? or better at table tennis than a world champion? or better at soccer then a premier league player. an astute point.

A real boxer is a boxer with experience in actual boxing, and just boxing.
    An MMA is a jack of all trades and cannot be expected to be as proficient
    at boxing as a pro or amateur boxer, unless his specialty is boxing. Not saying he cannot be useful, but a betting man
    would be foolish to bet on an MMA fighter beating a boxer in a boxing match.

So, the point is actually very astute. What exactly is your point or view on this?

BTW, this match all depends on how bad Roy has got. He is well past his boxing peak, so
    maybe this Silva does have a chance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

walshb wrote: »
    A real boxer is a boxer with experience in actual boxing, and just boxing.
    An MMA is a jack of all trades and cannot be expected to be as proficient
    at boxing as a pro or amateur boxer. Not saying he cannot be useful, but a betting man
    would be foolish to bet on an MMA fighter beating a boxer in a boxing match.

So, the point is actually very astute. What exactly is your point or view on this?

BTW, this match all depends on how bad Roy has got. He is well past his boxing peak, so
    maybe this Silva does have a chance

My point saying a man that trains 10 years in boxing/wrestling/bjj/mma (all things being equal) would be less proficient at boxing than a man that trains purely boxing for 10 years is a truism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

IMO Anderson wants the 205lb title, he wont want to fight machida but eventually if machida is still unbeaten that fight will happen, i see the roy jones fight NEVER happening also..Hell i think if he takes the LHW title he should take some time and put on some quality size to about 215-220 then take on the HW!! Why not :D:D I would pay any amount of money to see him taking on top 5 HW's

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

Silva walks around at between 215-220, I know thats not all muscle but it would not take a huge amount of time to be a sufficient size to compete at HW (except lesnar, hes too big).

Would love to see Silva fight Fedor, don't think it will evere happen but I can always hope. :D

Advertisement