Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pads - How do you make yours?

Options
  • 06-08-2009 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at different softsynths and ways of making pads and I thought I'd ask how ye guys make yours?

Normally I start of with just a simple saw osc, a bandpass/lowpass and play with the ADSR. Then when I get a nice chord or something, I start playing with modulations and layering or adding/changing OSCs.

I've started looking at more exotic synths for creating them, such as Chimera and Absynth. Anyone have any success with these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

cant say i use ads much but when i do i just get a sound i like and put a very slow attack on the asdr with a long release(or something to that effect)
    havent used any of those synths youve mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

I used to use PCM sample based gear (now wavetable basically) to get the complex waveforms for pads.

Absynth is a fine vst for making unique pads - it took me a while to get my head around the manual, but well worth it - it's got to be on a par to the complex routings in the waldorf synths.

Or just resorting to Sylenth for the warm saw type pads.

I've got a massive library of old synths sampled for their pads and ported into nntx - just they are so large i can't upload them yet due to other things needed to be uploaded etc.

I had made those nntx patch because there were no decent pad vst in the early years.

I prefer Absynth for character any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah I keep getting put off by Absynth's learning curve. It just looks awkward but it does seem worth it, it has a very unique sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Anima wrote: »
    Yeah I keep getting put off by Absynth's learning curve. It just looks awkward but it does seem worth it, it has a very unique sound.

Take the manual to bed :) - read a little over a week and it will make sense... It's just a weird way of controlling events that was made from the ground up - rather than based on existing models - It all works and performs normal expected functions with mind bending control over sound really. It's like the top end unique wave designer.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lukasz.

Has anyone made some pads using the Roland SH-201?

im looking to make a few,and want to get started,but i am lost.

what is the basics of this task?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭thebookofbob

Bought a Yam CS6X just for pads & when Omnisphere came out I sold it.. Stacking up sounds in Omnisphere can produce ureal moving pads.. and bring a quad core to it's knees in seconds as well unless used carefully..

Also used Sylenth and various romplers with a stacked filtered Noise LFO'd over the top

Advertisement