Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea for a sticky, just wondering what people think...

Options
  • 06-08-2009 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭

I don't think this has been covered before, my apologies if it has....

OK, well I've spent a couple of months teaching myself piano. Just going over scales myself, playing some of the pieces from the first few RIAM grade books etc. I don't have much of a repertoire of songs, obviously.

Sometimes there are songs I'd like to play, but overreach with my limited ability and get frustrated by traying to learn things too advanced.

What I'd like to be able to find is a decent, community updated resource, where I could say, for example "well, I am currently at about RIAM grade 1 standard", and I could find a suggested list of popular or interesting songs and tunes that would be suitable for my level of ability. That way, as I progress through the grades and get better, I'd always have a good few suggestions on songs to try learn in a variety of genres, be it classical, baroque, modern, jazz, rock, rag, blues or whatever.

Would this be a good idea for a sticky? Or even some kind of superthread. It wouldn't have to be piano exclusive either. There could be another for guitar or whatever other instrument depending on demand.

One problem I realise is measuring standards. I know getting the RIAM grade books was just convenient for me, and some people use other bodies, and some never touch a grade book in their life. So if anyone could think of a better way of stratifying levels of ability, great.

Like I said, it's just an idea, and would be interested to hear feedback good or bad...

Advertisement