Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burn, Burn by Our Lady Peace

Options
  • 06-08-2009 2:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

So not sure how many of you know or listen to the best rock band to come from Canada, Our Lady Peace - But if there is someone/s that do, I figured I'd write a quick review on their newest album.

For long-time fans of the band, you know that ever since 2002's "Gravity" album, OLP have distinctly changed their unique/different sound to a more mainstream/commercial type sound.

Don't get me wrong, I really have no problem with this. While I do miss Mike Turner playing lead guitar, I feel that his replacement in Steve Mazur is very passionate when he does play. I also miss lead singer Raine Maida's awesome falsetto vocals as well.

Burn Burn is a pretty damned good album overall, I'd say. Despite it's sleeky commercial sound, it plays a lot more streamlined than their previous disc in 2005's Healthy in Paranoid Times. There seems to be a bit more passion in both the way the instruments sound, and lyrically too. Unfortunately Maida's falsetto can only be heard on 2 songs, in very little doses, as it is all but non-existant on this record. With Healthy in Paranoid Times, I felt OLP sounded more like their old selves, especially on the fantastic track "Angels/Losing/Sleep".

Regardless, Maida described Burn, Burn as a 'proper rock album' - In that there was no outside influences, since he was the one who produced for the first time. And it is a straight-forward, hard rockin' album, save for a song here or there. But if you're expecting a return to Naveed or Happiness' sound, you'll definitely be disappointed.

Because I'm a fan of the band, and always will be, I still enjoyed Burn, Burn a lot. I'm not going to go into describing how each song sounds, as I a not a professional at reviewing, and probably wouldn't know what I was saying anyway. :p

But as far as best songs on the album, look for these:

-Escape Artist
    -Refuge
    -Monkey Brains
    -Paper Moon

If you've never heard of Our Lady Peace, I might suggest checking out some of their older records such as Clumsy or Spiritual Machines. If you're a long-time fan, and can accept that the band is no longer in their 20's and have changed their sound quite a bit - But still like their music regardless, give Burn, Burn a chance. You may be pleasantly surprised. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I really like this album, the change in style is grand I don't mind as its there choice. I am a big fan and wish they would play here stupid Ireland not knowing them, they supported avril lavigne years ago and they were great i don't think they have played here since. I really like dreamland and papermoon. For new fans the greatest hits album is a good start but the live album rocks.
    Enjoy

Advertisement