Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on air rifle not being used..

Options
  • 06-08-2009 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just wondering about my air rifle that has been gathering dust over the past year or two. It's a Cometa .22. Pretty sure its a Fenix 400.

I think it's about 4-5 years old now and has never been serviced. It has hardly been used in the last year or so. Should I get it serviced now just so it will be stored in good condition and will be reliable if its ever used again?

What do you guys think its worth now? I think I paid ~€350 back in the day.. And just curious about the brand, what are Cometa like.. please excuse my ignorance but I just wanted something to shoot a few pidgeons in the local mill and thats what the local dealer was selling..

Thanks in advance for any advice..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Meyer

"Back in the day" when Air rifles were my only concern (Oh how life was so simple back than :D) I found cometa's fairly good, they were tough, needed little to no maintenance -bar a good oiling- and for the price did what they were designed to do...

In answer to the question does it need service... How does it look and how does it cycle? If it's had limited use a good cleaning and a good coat of oil will be ok for storage, however if it's been neglected and if some of the internal parts have corroded, then a good service is needed.
    As for value, probably less than you paid for it, it's fairly common in the UK, and to be honest was probably not worth what you paid for it here in the first place...But that's Irish dealers in a nutshell, always overcharging for everything they import.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I suppose you could say that that it has had little use. When I did use it I would oil the exterior and run a some oil through the chamber with a bit of cotton regularly.

I'm sorry, but what is a cycle?

I'm only wondering about the value because I think there is a new law that says you must house it in a proper safe but I may be wrong. If that is the case I won't be buying a safe for it and will probably just sell it.

I'm not really suprised that I got a little ripped off becuase the guy I bought it off is well known for being expensive. Oh well, he gets it..i'd probably do the same..

How much would a service cost? I also think the scope could do with being bore sighted..would that be included or extra? Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Meyer

techguy wrote: »
    I suppose you could say that that it has had little use. When I did use it I would oil the exterior and run a some oil through the chamber with a bit of cotton regularly.

Then it probably doesn't need a service.
    I'm sorry, but what is a cycle?

The manner in which the round/pellet is chambered, i.e. in your case breaking the barrel and closing it again.

I'm only wondering about the value because I think there is a new law that says you must house it in a proper safe but I may be wrong. If that is the case I won't be buying a safe for it and will probably just sell it.

I have serious doubts that you will be required to have a safe for an air rifle...If you need one then all shotgun owners will need one, and that would result in the IFA going to war with the Government :D So I wouldn't worry about it.
    I'm not really suprised that I got a little ripped off becuase the guy I bought it off is well known for being expensive. Oh well, he gets it..i'd probably do the same..

Anyone with the internet can see we all are being ripped off royally in this country, but thats life :D
    How much would a service cost?

Don't know never bothered...
    I also think the scope could do with being bore sighted..would that be included or extra? Thanks..

Best way to sight it... take a tub of pellets and do it yourself. I would avoid bore sighting as from my pov, it has never once worked on anything I have ever owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Best way to sight it... take a tub of pellets and do it yourself. I would avoid bore sighting as from my pov, it has never once worked on anything I have ever owned.

Oh the hassle.. I'll givie it a go sure.

Thanks for all your help.

Advertisement