Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 20Mb VS BT 24Mb in Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 06-08-2009 9:07am
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Sorry it has probably been asked loads of times..

Moving into an apartment with 3 other students in September and just wondering what would offer better performance?

Both have unlimited caps
    Both are 42 euro-ish
    Both include free router

What are the contention ratios like? It will probably be the deciding factor because there is a high density of users in the area (several apartment blocks / offices etc

Any idea of pings on both services althought its not hugely important as i dont play games that often anymore..

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The BT is DSL, so unless you are very close to exchange with perfect line you won't get 24Mbps. 3Mbps to 7MBps is more likely.

Contention varies with area. Largely they will be similar.

At higher speeds and in areas with more customers the Interleaving on DSL has to be increased, increasing latency. Ping 60ms to 80ms instead of 30ms

Cable (UPC) can have ping as low as 10ms or as high as 70ms depending on upstream contention usually.

If it's an area with upgraded cable, then UPC is better.

If it is original NTL headend and cable, then it might have higher contention than BT. BT might then be better if the line is very good and very short to exchange.

The BT does not include the 26 Eur approx line rental? If you have UPC and/or Mobile then you don't need the eircom line. You can transfer the number to UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭MrParanoid

Well, good luck getting UPC?

Services available at:
    (Dublin, Co. Dublin, Dun Laoghaire)

Digital Television
    available

Broadband
    No

Home Phone
    No

Digital+
    available

I have smart myself, 7 Mbit for 47 euro a month including line rental. Fine enough, remember that if you go for BT you will see the BB price without line rental, your end price would be 56-65 euro a month inc. line rental, and you will probably make around 10-12 mbit if your lucky. Line rental is cheaper with them then eircom (like 17 or something with BT, instead of the close to 26 at eircom.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Have rang UPC several times this year and last regarding BB in Dun Laoghaire and they keep putting it on the long finger. The usual engineers report blah blah. Rang them yesterday and they reckon it could be in by December!! I won't hold my breath:rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Thanks for all the replies
    MrParanoid wrote: »
    Well, good luck getting UPC?

Services available at:
    (Dublin, Co. Dublin, Dun Laoghaire)

Digital Television
    available

Broadband
    No

Home Phone
    No

Digital+
    available

I have smart myself, 7 Mbit for 47 euro a month including line rental. Fine enough, remember that if you go for BT you will see the BB price without line rental, your end price would be 56-65 euro a month inc. line rental, and you will probably make around 10-12 mbit if your lucky. Line rental is cheaper with them then eircom (like 17 or something with BT, instead of the close to 26 at eircom.)

I checked online this morning and found it hard to believe that Chorus wasnt available in Dun Laoghaire so I rang them up and gave them the exact address and they said it supported broadband and their HD digital package and whatever..

Advertisement