Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone knocked over a small dog on the South Link in Cork this morning...

Options
  • 06-08-2009 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

...and didn't stop. Now granted, it is a very busy road and it was rush hour, but surely this person had a duty to stop? There was a hard shoulder, so they had the oppurtunity.

I can't stop thinking about it and crying every time I think of it. I was taking a slip road of the South Link and saw a little terrier type dog running along the side of the road. I slowed down and was dithering about whether to stop and pick him up, there was an a**hole behind me blaring the horn. Next thing the dog ran out in front of me, I missed him, the a**hole behind me missed him, but a car on the main road hit him at full speed. The noise was just horrific and there was no doubt the poor wee dog was dead. I am so upset and full of regrets that I dithered about stopping. I'm sure this little fella was someones pet as he didn't look like a stray.

The driver slowed slightly, but drove on. I feel so angry that they didn't stop. The evil part of me hopes they have a massive dent in their car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

There is a good chance the dog felt nothing if that makes you feel any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

god thats terrible, i hope you'll be ok,,that road it no place for a dog..As for the dog the only thing i can say is it was quick and it wouldn't have suffered. And yes i hope there is a big dent in that gits car:mad:
    Try not to think about it there was nothing you could do or can do now. Sorry you had to witness that:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

I've never hit a dog, but if i did i don't think i could drive on, i'd have to stop and reflect for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

lightening wrote: »
    There is a good chance the dog felt nothing if that makes you feel any better.

I'm sure he didn't, the collision was so hard, i'm sure he died instantly. I just can't stop thinking that he was someones pet and how devastated I would be if it was my dog.
    I've never hit a dog, but if i did i don't think i could drive on, i'd have to stop and reflect for a few minutes.

+1 to that. I was devastated myself, can't imagine how I would have felt if I had hit it myself. I once hit a little baby rabbit and cried and cried... WhenI arrived hime, I got back in my car and drove back to check if it was alive. It wasn't :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

ncmc wrote: »

+1 to that. I was devastated myself, can't imagine how I would have felt if I had hit it myself. I once hit a little baby rabbit and cried and cried... WhenI arrived hime, I got back in my car and drove back to check if it was alive. It wasn't :(

You must be a sensitive soul.;)
    I would always try to avoid hitting any creature, so long as it was within safe boundries, but i did hit a pidgeon once, didn't kill him, he flew down in front of the car flying away from me, but i was on full boost on the turbo and his bum ended up on my windscreen.
    I felt ok after i seen him fly away in the rearview mirror.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP don't be surprised at this.

I was knocked down about 14yrs ago, despite being in obvious pain (I'd broke my left elbow and wrist) and laying on the ground - not one person stopped, including the little fvcker who knocked me down! (it was a cyclist cycling against the flow of traffic and through a red light!!).

I've witnessed a couple of dogs being knocked down, its terribly upsetting. But OP I doubt very much there was much you could have done. Had you approached the dog it probably would have ran out on the road just to get away from the stranger approaching it, so you were probably in a no win situ.

Its awful that you witnessed it, but there's probably not a thing you could have done to prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

This happens all the time, if it's safe to stop drivers should but at the end of the day it's whoever owned the dog that is at fault. Accidents happen and some dogs are genuinely lost but the majority of dogs that are knocked down it's the owners who don't have proper fencing or don't have their dogs on leads or let their dogs wander etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

...and didn't stop. Now granted, it is a very busy road and it was rush hour, but surely this person had a duty to stop? There was a hard shoulder, so they had the oppurtunity.

I can't stop thinking about it and crying every time I think of it. I was taking a slip road of the South Link and saw a little terrier type dog running along the side of the road. I slowed down and was dithering about whether to stop and pick him up, there was an a**hole behind me blaring the horn. Next thing the dog ran out in front of me, I missed him, the a**hole behind me missed him, but a car on the main road hit him at full speed. The noise was just horrific and there was no doubt the poor wee dog was dead. I am so upset and full of regrets that I dithered about stopping. I'm sure this little fella was someones pet as he didn't look like a stray.

The driver slowed slightly, but drove on. I feel so angry that they didn't stop. The evil part of me hopes they have a massive dent in their car.
    If they have a dent in their car then they can find the owner of the dog and claim for damage to their car. There is a law here that dogs must be kept on a lead in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

i saw this dog on my way to work at about half ten dead between the lanes and im pretty sure he/she is still there! Looked pretty torn up alright!

OP i think you could have put yourself at harm by stopping and trying to get him, as a previous poster said he was probably scared from all the cars and a stranger approaching him he would have only ran quicker.

There was nothing you could have done! Shame on the heartless pr1ck guy that didn't stop i hope he's riddled with guilt tonight and a nice big load of damage to his car!

Sam Kade wrote: »
    If they have a dent in their car then they can find the owner of the dog and claim for damage to their car. There is a law here that dogs must be kept on a lead in public.

This is true, 3 years ago i hit and killed a dog, i felt so bad for ages when it happened! I wasn't speeding just driving on a 80km road and the dog shot in front didn't even have time to react!

Anyway i ended up with a bust radiator in my car from the hit and was told that i could claim off the owner for the damage. I went by to the owners house to just say sorry and maybe talk about paying for some of the damage but the guy turned out to be poor barely able to live, house was a wreck, leaks everywhere falling down and he was obviously an alcoholic with drink bottles everywhere!

He said he didn't care as he had 5 more dogs, (that he leaves room anywhere they want to) i saw them running around on the road outside just waiting to be killed!

His attitude made me sick and i just left there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

i saw this dog on my way to work at about half ten dead between the lanes and im pretty sure he/she is still there! Looked pretty torn up alright!

OP i think you could have put yourself at harm by stopping and trying to get him, as a previous poster said he was probably scared from all the cars and a stranger approaching him he would have only ran quicker.

There was nothing you could have done! Shame on the heartless pr1ck guy that didn't stop i hope he's riddled with guilt tonight and a nice big load of damage to his car!

Oh no, I was hoping he had been moved. After he was hit, he didn't look bloody or damaged, I'm sure he's a mess now. God I hope he is gone by the time I go to work tomorrow. With regards to claiming for damage to the car from the owner of the dog, he would have had to stopped to get ID off the dog first, so i'd say the owner can rest easy on that front.

That's a good point about him running away if i'd stopped, I'd feel 10 times worse then. Makikomi, I am in shock about your post, it just just staggering that no-one stopped to help you when you were knocked down, what the hell is wrong with people.

Guineapigrescue, you are right about it ultimately being the owners responsibilty, some people are so blase about their dogs, not ensuring they're properly secured. I wish I could go home and give my dog a big hug right now!

Oh no, I was hoping he had been moved. After he was hit, he didn't look bloody or damaged, I'm sure he's a mess now. God I hope he is gone by the time I go to work tomorrow. With regards to claiming for damage to the car from the owner of the dog, he would have had to stopped to get ID off the dog first, so i'd say the owner can rest easy on that front.

That's a good point about him running away if i'd stopped, I'd feel 10 times worse then. Makikomi, I am in shock about your post, it just just staggering that no-one stopped to help you when you were knocked down, what the hell is wrong with people.

Guineapigrescue, you are right about it ultimately being the owners responsibilty, some people are so blase about their dogs, not ensuring they're properly secured. I wish I could go home and give my dog a big hug right now!

Go for it, i think you deserve it,

and give one from me too! :D

Advertisement