Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another Smart query!

Options
  • 06-08-2009 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Ive read through some of the threads previously posted regarding Smart Broadband and cant see any massive negatives against them. Im currently on NTL bb and am looking to switch to Smart.

Can anyone give me a reason not to do this?

Also, in peoples opinions how likely are they to go bust seeing as this has been thrown around a bit?

thanks in advance folks....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

There's no reason to suggest Smart are going to go bust - no more than any other ISP. It's silly scaremongering and the throwing around of rumours that can actually cause a company to get into severe difficulties, by potential subscribers being put off and current subscribers moving away due to the rumours being spread around.

Other than that, Smart come in a close second behind UPC. I did have to leave them for UPC due to my line not being capable of more than 3Mbps (no fault of smart).

It's down to whether you need speed:
    Smart download/upload speed is ultimately limited by the quality of your eircom line. If it's good, you can get their higher packages (upto 24Mbps). If it's anyway poor, or if you live a few kilometres from the exchange, then your maximum speed will decrease greatly.

UPC's biggest limiting factor seems to be contention at the moment. Some people suffer slowdowns at peaktimes due to a high number of subscribers in their area. Personally, I've always hit 10Mbps with them. Rumours going around they're to increase the speed further on their packages by the new year.

Smart's FUP or rough download limit is 170GB/month vs UPCs 250GB/month (reportedly), except on the entry level products where both have a hard limit of 20GB/month.

Smart's phone-in customer service is about on par with UPC (ie. quite poor). The lads on the smart forum, however, are a totally different story. Very helpful I found.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Quandary

Kensington wrote: »
    There's no reason to suggest Smart are going to go bust - no more than any other ISP. It's silly scaremongering and the throwing around of rumours that can actually cause a company to get into severe difficulties, by potential subscribers being put off and current subscribers moving away due to the rumours being spread around.

Other than that, Smart come in a close second behind UPC. I did have to leave them for UPC due to my line not being capable of more than 3Mbps (no fault of smart).

It's down to whether you need speed:
    Smart download/upload speed is ultimately limited by the quality of your eircom line. If it's good, you can get their higher packages (upto 24Mbps). If it's anyway poor, or if you live a few kilometres from the exchange, then your maximum speed will decrease greatly.

UPC's biggest limiting factor seems to be contention at the moment. Some people suffer slowdowns at peaktimes due to a high number of subscribers in their area. Personally, I've always hit 10Mbps with them. Rumours going around they're to increase the speed further on their packages by the new year.

Smart's FUP or rough download limit is 170GB/month vs UPCs 250GB/month (reportedly), except on the entry level products where both have a hard limit of 20GB/month.

Smart's phone-in customer service is about on par with UPC (ie. quite poor). The lads on the smart forum, however, are a totally different story. Very helpful I found.

Hope this helps!

Thats exactly what i was looking to know! You pretty much covered all my concerns there, that was very helpful!

Thanks a lot for that :)

Advertisement