Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What sort of eejets are An Bord Pleanala

• 06-08-2009 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

Tesco recently purchased a site in Manorhamilton,Co.Leitrim to build a 1,457 square metre store which would have included an ATM, licensed sales, car-parking and an ESB substation.They got their plans approved by Leitrim County Council but now its after being refused by An Bord Pleanala.Im familiar with the area and think its an outrage that they have refused it.There is a serious lack of employment in the area and there is a serious amount of empty houses in the Town,surely a development like this would bring employment to the area and help with both these problems.How can they refuse something that would have seen a growth in an under privileged area.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Hard to comment on with out knowing the reason for the rejection...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

Nody wrote: »
    Hard to comment on with out knowing the reason for the rejection...
    my apolgioses.this is the new article in the local newspaper.

www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mhidqlausn&cat=news

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sounds like a town planning issue which is fair enough, towns need plans.

Also is their another supermarket in the area, if there is its likely they lodged the objection....this happened locally where I am :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    Sounds like a town planning issue which is fair enough, towns need plans.

Also is their another supermarket in the area, if there is its likely they lodged the objection....this happened locally where I am :)
    ya there is.the field that Tesco bought was sold to them by the owner of the Gala Convenience store in the town.Im sure he was objecting as it would take custom away from his shop which charges what they like for grocieres,i feel the competition would have been a good thing.I feel that if the town plans needed to be improved then so be it,im sure there would be no problem getting contractors to carry out the work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The problem with Tesco is that they dont bring alot of net jobs to the areas that they move into, by net jobs i mean Tesco employ 50 but 50 lose their jobs in other businesses.

Tesco are not just a threat to local supermarkets, but also to white goods retailers, book shops, music shops and flower shops. They will stock the main sellers in these areas and discount them but if you want Cradle of fliths latest offering or a reference book about butterflies then you have to travel.

im all for competition but tesco is doing in ireland what it has done in the uk, it moves into smaller towns and mops up the smaller businesses, killing the town centre and creating a wasteland there.

where i live in mayo there are 4 tescos within 20miles of me, its just crazy.

short term gain , but long term pain when tesco come to town. well done leitrim i say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

An bord pleanala generally have to work within the objectives of the local development plans and interperate them the best they can. It's hardly their fault.
    Lobby your local politicians if you are not happy with the development plans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a Consumer Issue - moved to the Leitrim forum

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

He considered the application to be premature given that considerable road works, including the provision of a new roundabout, have to be carried out using lands not owned by Tesco or the local authority to provide a safe means of access to the site.

Not a lot of point in building a big shopping centre if there's no way in or out of it. Just take a look around Limerick, and all the retail parks that have sprung up with woefully inefficient entrance/exits.

dudara wrote: »
    Not a Consumer Issue - moved to the Leitrim forum

dudara
    how is it not a Consumer issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

how is it not a Consumer issue?
    Specific to a particular area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Bord Pleanala have a website. Go onto it and look under Letrim and decided cases. You will get the report into the development and why it was rejected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This would be it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

i had that contract priced for tesco ireland to construct the whole unit, and car parks , creating up to 35 full time jobs over a 2 year period, but thanks to the over paid public sector ie, an board pleanala it not to go ahead ,

yet anyways, just like an taisce and the canal in dowra, wheres an bord snip now , probably inflicting more pain on the private sector by giving these unelected pr***s a pay rise to object to job creation in leitrims dying private sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

That Dowra case is a real shame for the village. Imagine the boast even a few hundred cruisers would make to dowra each summer. If they don't want to dredge the river, they should construct a canal adjacent to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

yip, that tesco job alone was worth 1.3m to the local economy in the construction phase alone,

and the dowra job was worth about 1.1m, however it had been sugested to be worth 500k , but a later survey revealed hidden costs, due to the ground conditions being so bad, and the depth of the bog, between dowra and lough allen,

it just goes to show how intelligent our public sector really is, they object to everything in the private sector, and then go on strike when people like me , who pays there wages , asks them to follow the suit of other countries and take a well deserved pay cut.

can anyone here tell me what the f,,, is the point of an taisce , there a glorified shower of news bags who object to anything , that they think will benefit the local economy, one fine example is kesh quarry, , there has been a quarry in the same location since time began, and it has been proven, but yet an taisce, a few blowins from dublin, appeal the councils decision to an bord pleanala , and with immediate effect the county looses 30 direct jobs, and another possible 100 jobs due to its closure.

how is that right, and why are these blowins telling us what we can and cant do on our own ground.

Advertisement