Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer has power, but BIOS won't load

Options
  • 06-08-2009 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

So, here's my situation. I'm putting together a HTPC at the moment and finally got all the pieces together yesterday. I installed the CPU/CPU fan and RAM to the motherboard, and connected all to the power supply. This is where things went wrong. When I powered up the CPU fan started to run, the chassis fans started to run, the LEDs on the motherboard were lit and the HDD was spinning. However, the BIOS would not load. Also, there was not beep from the mobo.

I'm pretty sure it's a dodgy mobo, but can anyone else provide some insight or advice.

Note I already tried removing everything from the mobo and powering up. The lack of beeps when there's no RAM installed would indicate the fault is with the motherboard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

I'd say that's a faulty motherboard too; you've already ruled out faulty RAM and if it had a faulty chip you'd probably still get a beep of some sort.

You could try replacing the motherboard battery as this could be dead if BIOS won't load, but if you're still within warrnty I'd get the whole board replaced to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

List your specs.

What board is this. Are you using integrated gfx and if so, can you stick a gfx card on it, or if not, can you try another gfx card?

This is presuming that all power connections are correct and that the CPU is installed correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eoinsku

Specs:
    • mobo: Gigabyte EG45M-UD2H
    • CPU: Intel E7400 (C2D) with stock heatsink/fan
    • RAM: Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR2 (KHX6400D2/2G x 2)
    • PSU: Zalman ZM500-HP
    The mobo has an integrated graphics card (Intel G45). I don't have a separate card to test it with.

I presume that the power was set up correctly, as the case fans and CPU fan were spinning and the LEDs on the motherboard were on. The CPU was installed as directed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

You haven't overlooked the CPU aux power socket?

There's not much point troubleshooting the graphics end of it.

It's probably a faulty board as already mentioned.

When you take it out of the case - try it again with CPU, one stick of RAM and PSU connected - if no go then RMA it.

You haven't overlooked the CPU aux power socket?

You know, I think I might have... Trouble is, I can't test your theory - I took it back to the shop yesterday evening because I'm going away for the weekend. Also, if it isn't faulty, the shop are going to charge me around €25 to test it!

What a simpleton! I'm still hoping that it is a faulty mobo, although those hopes are fading pretty fast...

Thanks to both of you for the help anyway. I'll let you know...

• Advertisement

New Problem!!!

First off, you were right. I got the motherboard back with a bill for €25 and no fault found. I came home and attached the CPU power cable and the computer loaded to BIOS.

BUT, now after loading to BIOS, the PC just restarts. After the screen showing the mobo logo and shortcut keys for BIOS, Boot Drive priority etc a message appears at the bottom of the screen (after/under Verifying DMI pool data......) saying "begin to update backup BIOS to latest version...", and then the computer just turns off and restarts, and keeps doing this cycle... It's driving me insane!

Note that I can go ito the BIOS and while in there I can see that the HDD and DVD drive are listed. If I change the Boot Drve priority, nothing happens.

Any ideas?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Sounds like that board has something wrong with it after all... most likely a corrupt BIOS update. Those numpties most likely tried a BIOS update when you gave it to them and have managed to fudge it and partially brick the bloomin' thing!! :mad:

CMOS wipe then try booting from HDD (or installer DVD if HDD is clean) again. If still no go remove the BIOS write protect, save changes and update BIOS to latest version via floppy (or USB drive if possible) then try again. If BIOS update fails repeatedly and board is still unbootable then those [CENSORED] morons have busted part of the chipset or the BIOS EEPROM :eek:

Hi Solitaire,

Thanks for your post. I think you could be right. I checked the BIOS on screen versus the latest on the Gigabyte website and it is up to date. That's not to say the backup BIOS is though, which is probably causing the problem.

Anyway, I uploaded a video (mods, not sure if this is allowed) to youtube showing my problem. I'd be grateful if you took a look and see if you could find something more from what you can see. The link is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0GewVT_-1k

I called the company today and they said to bring in the entire system this time, which they would then check (they only checked if the mobo would load to BIOS the first time, which it obviously can). Trouble is, if they don't find something, I'll have to pay an inspection fee. Also, if they find a problem with a component not bought from them (i.e. chassis and PSU) then I'll also have to pay the inspection fee. However, if the problem is with the mobo, I'll get the initial €25 back.

Anyway, hoping you (or someone else can help).

Eoin

Just to let you know, the motherboard was faulty all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

so did u get your 25 euro back from the shop if not how come??????????

• Advertisement

massy086 wrote: »
    so did u get your 25 euro back from the shop if not how come??????????

Haven't gone back into the shop yet, but they said that if it turned out there was a fault, they would refund the €25 (and the money paid for the mobo if I choose not to take a replacement). My only problem now is a replacement board will take 3-5 weeks to get in, so I'm looking for alternative motherboards in the meantime. I'll be in the US on holidays next week, and I can pick up a decent one there for less cash, but there'll be little o no comebacks if I bring it home and it turns out to be faulty. Right now, I'm looking at the model up from the one I bought - GA-E7AUM-DS2H - which has an integrated nVidia GPU versus an Intel G45 iGPU. Everything else seems the same... But, if I buy it in America and it also turns out to be faulty, I'll be really out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Eoinsku wrote: »
    Right now, I'm looking at the model up from the one I bought - GA-E7AUM-DS2H - which has an integrated nVidia GPU versus an Intel G45 iGPU. Everything else seems the same... But, if I buy it in America and it also turns out to be faulty, I'll be really out of pocket.

You should be okay I used to always buy parts in the states and if there were any faults I'd send them back to the manufacturer for RMA. I have the P5N7A-VM from asus. Its a great board with tonnes of features

Advertisement