Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC HD + HTPC = HDTV?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 onelessprob

I just got the new UPC HD+ box today. It's a UPC badged Cisco 8485DVB.

The picture quality is noticeably better than the old box even on the non HD channells, far less pixeled.

I have an existing HDTV HTPC, and was hoping to be able to connect to the Mac Mini and pull off contend.

There are 2 ethernet and 1 USB sockets. I've tried to connect to all three, but had no luck. A post on the first page mentioned these functions may be disabled on the UPC issued boxes.

Has anyone else had any experiences or heard anything about the connectivity of these boxes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Forget it. You can't get at the content on the HD either on this box or the standard DVR. Ethernet and USB sockets are for built-in cable modem functionality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Sorry for dragging up an old thread.

I'm like the others whereby I have a standard UPC STB, and use a scart-composite cable to feed their signal to the HTPC which inturn uses HDMI output to a HD 1080i TV. media center provides the guide and recording capabilities.

Seeing that UPC are adding more HD content, is the only way to feed this to the HD TV is directly via a new UPC+HD STB and to forgo the HTPC?

I dont ready understand the technologies but havent ask more detailed questions as if the answer to the one above is yes, its seems you are stuck in no mans land with UPC+HD and HTPC?

Thanks
    W.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

To be honest it's a no go really, the UPC CI never launched here. If you can your better off going for FreeSat with Tuner Cards if you can but that's your legal options really.

Advertisement