Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fonts available for websites

• 06-08-2009 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm a bit of a novice at web design btw.
    I want to add some fonts to my website. How would I get a list of all fonts available to me for my website and is it possible to add more?

Thanks, Pete

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Using text on a website, each individual visitor to your site must have the correct font, otherwise their browser will display the text in a default font. So even if you have a unusual, funky font on your machine, and can view the page locally and online perfectly - end users will not see that font.

There's no definitive list of fonts that are installed on everyone's machine, but some of the obvious ones would be:

Arial,
    Verdana,
    Tahoma,
    Helvetica,
    sans-serif,
    Courier,
    Times New Roman etc.

If you must have text in special font, you can create an image with the text/header and place that in your site. But this won't your site any favours with search engines or users for that matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Dades wrote: »
    Using text on a website, each individual visitor to your site must have the correct font, otherwise their browser will display the text in a default font. So even if you have a unusual, funky font on your machine, and can view the page locally and online perfectly - end users will not see that font.

There's no definitive list of fonts that are installed on everyone's machine, but some of the obvious ones would be:

Arial,
    Verdana,
    Tahoma,
    Helvetica,
    sans-serif,
    Courier,
    Times New Roman etc.

If you must have text in special font, you can create an image with the text/header and place that in your site. But this won't your site any favours with search engines or users for that matter!

Very interesting. Thanks very much for that Dades. Great Help!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Don't use Times New Roman though, it's best suited for print - and I think it looks awful online.
    Dades wrote:

There are ways around this, that are apparently search engine friendly.

There is some JavaScript library that can swawp text for images.

Or if you are just styling a <h1> tag, you can set a background image that contains the text of the <h1> and don't display the actual text contained within the tag. I don't think that's considered bad practise for SEO purposes, but not entirely sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

eoin wrote: »
    Don't use Times New Roman though, it's best suited for print - and I think it looks awful online.

There are ways around this, that are apparently search engine friendly.

There is some JavaScript library that can swawp text for images.

Or if you are just styling a <h1> tag, you can set a background image that contains the text of the <h1> and don't display the actual text contained within the tag. I don't think that's considered bad practise for SEO purposes, but not entirely sure.

This is true, if you're intersted in how to do it check out Nine Techniques for CSS Image Replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

Things are about to change quite soon regarding Typography on web sites. For the moment though, google 'font stacks' and use them creatively!

• Advertisement
Advertisement