Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd situation with Landlord and PRTB forms

Options
  • 06-08-2009 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭

As title suggests: My housemate got a call from the daughter of our landlord yesterday insisting on meeting us next Monday to have a look around "the common areas" of the house and get us to resign the PRTB forms.

The form were originally signed back last October when we moved in but all of a sudden they have become mysteriously lost and need to be resigned. None of us have ever heard from the daughter before but in fairness to the landlord he looks around the age of retirement.

There is an outstanding issue regard ~€2000 of unpaid council bin charges that the last tenant(s) didn't pay. Since moving in I have forwarded all communications from the council on to the LL and been assured it will be dealt with but it hasn't. As such I am reluctant to sign anything until this is resolved.

The whole thing seems a bit suspect to me and since there is only 2 months left on the lease and I am 100% sure I'm leaving unless the rent is seriously reduced I don't really see a point in entertaining this.

Any opinions of the whole thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I wouldn't sign anything.

I'd tell them what you wrote here: that unless the bin situation is sorted and the rent reduced, you'll be moving in two months anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭abbey2000

when you originally signed the ptrb forms, did you ever recieve anything from ptrb? Both landlords and tenants are supposed to receive confirmation from ptrb that the tenancy has been registered, below taken from their website:

"What do I do with the confirmation letter?

Landlords and tenants must quote the registration number given in the letter in any future correspondence with the PRTB. In addition, landlords may use the confirmation letter as a receipt for payment of the registration fee, where appropriate. Landlords may be requested to provide this confirmation letter to the Revenue Commissioners when seeking mortgage interest relief on residential properties."

If you did not receive this, then i suspect that the tenancy is not registered, and you have the upper hand if this is the case, as the tenancy must be registered.

I would not worry about signing the ptrb form, but ensure that they register the correct effective date of the tenancy - they may try to pull a fast one and give you a blank form to sign, but if they do, you should not sign it until the correct effective date is entered. Late registration with ptrb costs them more, so i would not let them away with that.

if the bin charges bill dates are prior to your tenancy effective date, then i do not think u should have a problem. check out the ptrb website.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

There is an outstanding issue regard ~€2000 of unpaid council bin charges that the last tenant(s) didn't pay. Since moving in I have forwarded all communications from the council on to the LL and been assured it will be dealt with but it hasn't. As such I am reluctant to sign anything until this is resolved.

This happened me with the last house I rented in Dublin, but i'm sure councils all over the country would deal with it the same: Dublin city council told me to send them a copy of my lease, showing when I moved into the property. They then created a new account for us for the bins. If we had left it up to our letting agent to sort out we'd never have gotten the bins collected. When we moved into the property the council had already suspended collections of the bins for our house and it took us a few weeks to get it re-started...in the height of summer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Xiney wrote: »

I'd tell them what you wrote here: that unless the bin situation is sorted and the rent reduced, you'll be moving in two months anyway.

+1.

Its a renters market.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

abbey2000 wrote: »
    when you originally signed the ptrb forms, did you ever recieve anything from ptrb?
    No
    abbey2000 wrote: »
    If you did not receive this, then i suspect that the tenancy is not registered, and you have the upper hand if this is the case, as the tenancy must be registered.

I would not worry about signing the ptrb form, but ensure that they register the correct effective date of the tenancy - they may try to pull a fast one and give you a blank form to sign, but if they do, you should not sign it until the correct effective date is entered.

Good point I will watch out for that alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

eth0_ wrote: »
    This happened me with the last house I rented in Dublin, but i'm sure councils all over the country would deal with it the same: Dublin city council told me to send them a copy of my lease, showing when I moved into the property. They then created a new account for us for the bins. If we had left it up to our letting agent to sort out we'd never have gotten the bins collected. When we moved into the property the council had already suspended collections of the bins for our house and it took us a few weeks to get it re-started...in the height of summer :(

Panda collect my bins and I pay them so I don't really care about this whole situation as there is no way I will ever pay the council. Just one more thing to hold over the LL should I need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Xiney wrote: »

in all fairness thats a bit stupid dont you think ? PRTB registration is a good thing for the tennant not a bad thing so why would you not sign ???

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you have a dispute with the landlord, it may not look good that you didn't sign.

Tell her to leave the form with you and post it back to the landlord.

Advertisement